Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Services getting killed

Posted by Lithium 
Services getting killed
April 01, 2016 07:04AM
Hi everyone,

After Bodhi helped me to install Debian on my pogoplug calssic i managed to install a few programs in my pogo to make it a serie downloader.

What i currently installed are: sickrage, transmission, samba and SABnzbd+.
The program i have is that sickrage and SABnzbd+ stops every now and then and i am not able to find out why.
Also SABnzbd+ has 20 services open and i only accepted 4 connections at a time.

My setup is als follow:
Pogoplug classic
USB stick 16gig sandisk for Debian
500gig hdd on usb for the download.
No swap on the usb stick of hdd.

I also attached 2 screenshots from htop. One with SABnzbd+ running and one without.
There is almost no memory left.
Is this setup to heavy for the pogoplug or do i need to change things so it will run smoother?
Sickrage doens't give any error's in the log file why it stopped.
I have read some site's on the internet they say that you don't have to make any swap if you use a USBstick, perhaps creating swap on the hdd is a good idea?

I was wondering if you guys could help me with this.
Attachments:
open | download - htop.jpg (712.9 KB)
open | download - htop2.jpg (508.4 KB)
Re: Services getting killed
April 02, 2016 03:03AM
I'd run Samba and one of the others at the same time, but no more than that.
In all my Pogoplugs Transmission auto starts as well as Webmin and a couple others, and i meant to ask too if there's a one-click way to remotely start an app. For instance since I rarely use Webmin (but feel it's a safety net and alternative helper in a pinch) I'd like to stop it from auto starting and instead trigger it to start from across the LAN.
Not sure if you'd have PuTTY with a list or if you can make a regular Linux app link with an IP in there.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 02, 2016 08:17AM
Yesterday i made a swap file on the disk and it still runs so i think the problem was lack of ram memory.
It's a swap file not a partition. Is that a problem for the usb storage?
April 02, 2016 08:36AM
@Lithium it should be fine

ideally you would want the swapfile/partition on the HDD.
April 02, 2016 12:34PM
+1 Gravelrash, and Bodhi has a method for plug-in hard drive with separate swap that I'm dying to try when the trinkets come in.

Mine still "incorrectly" have a swapfile within the OS sticks but I keep things lean starting up and set swappiness to 2.

Might I lament, setting Swappiness should be in every Linux's install along with time zone me thinketh.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 02, 2016 01:49PM
Thanks for your comments ppl :)
Why is a swap on the hdd ideal? At this moment my swap on the usb stick is faster then a swap on an 5400 rpm hdd right?
If seems to run stable :) The only problem with sickrage is that it's not able to find all shows.
If i make a manual search on spotweb i find the show with in the name SxxExx but sickrage doesn't find it, anyone an idea what it could be?
April 02, 2016 03:30PM
if you are heavily using the swapfile, you risk premature wear out of the usb drive

i dont use sickrage / auto downloading stuff like you describe - maybe they have a forum to ask?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 03:31PM by Gravelrash.
April 02, 2016 05:29PM
> i dont use sickrage / auto downloading stuff like
> you describe - maybe they have a forum to ask?

+1

Lithium,

Be careful with these questions. I know you are already by censoring the name :) But there are forums for that out there. We are technical forum.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 05:30PM by bodhi.
April 03, 2016 08:58AM
For the swap file it is better to use another flash drive than the one you use for system. If it is getting used a lot (and it seems to be, from what you say) it will wear out and die within months.

Hard drives don't have this issue, and speed should be more or less the same if not better (as hard drives usually don't have the low write speed of flash drives).

Still, swapping to storage isn't good for performance as swap isn't anywhere as fast as RAM, see if you can turn off settings about ram caching and things like that.

Programs are usually configured for the average PC where using a bit more ram it's not an issue, but on low-ram devices, it is better to run without ram caching and other ram-intensive settings than having to use swapfiles aggressively.

See if you can turn off RAM caching from the program settings. Transmission and others usually are set to use (waste) ram for cache (no good reason).
April 04, 2016 08:32AM
Hi,

Thanks for your explanation!

I followed this tutorial to create a swap file on the usb stick where the os runs.
How can i change the swap file to run on the HDD instead of the usb stick?
The hdd runs on sdb1.

The link to the tut: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add-a-swap-file-howto/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 08:32AM by Lithium.
April 04, 2016 12:49PM
in this tutorial you mentioned the file

/swapfile1 refers to the location on / (where / is the root drive of you device)

so to change this to be on your sdb1 you would need to amend all the instructions to point to

/dev/sdb1/swapfile1

thats it!

nice swapfile on your harddisk.

as to any other issues you have with the applications stated above. i cant offer any advice
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.