Beware: Rosewill 6 Outlet Power Strip w Individual Switches
April 02, 2016 05:12PM
In theory the Rosewill RPS-210 is a must-have power strip, especially for a "desktop cloud". I just got one delivered yesterday.

I carefully opened the back to take a picture of switch/outlet orientation and am shocked to see it's very likely an unacceptable fire hazard.

Might be worth re-soldering properly and just use it, but I've probably got to warn others or something.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - RoeweillBad.jpg (93.7 KB)
Re: Beware: Rosewill 6 Outlet Power Strip w Individual Switches
April 02, 2016 05:23PM
> switch/outlet orientation and am shocked to see
> it's very likely an unacceptable fire hazard.
>
> Might be worth re-soldering properly and just use
> it, but I've probably got to warn others or
> something.

Thanks Joey. ...Damn :) I need to open mine too?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 02, 2016 06:10PM
May as well and break out the camera. We'd have a good idea if the problem is likely widespread.
Us, if worse comes to worse we could solder it proper-like. I probably will if they send another one which i'll solder too lol

But for the money (on a product coming from China) you'd expect nice Stanley quality or something; this is constructed unbecoming of even Rosewill.

Plus the moment mine arrived the price went down $2.00.

If you've got a few moments we might save lives. Mine is a house fire waiting to happen.

Lastly, I've got four of these long chassis monitor strips but they're way too long for a desktop. These looks nice...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 06:17PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 02, 2016 06:39PM
crimping wires isnt - in and of itself - necessarily a bad thing when the components are not exposed to "wandering fingers".

what is shocking (no pun intended) is that the stranded cable has only patially been "grasped".

get the soldering iron out and seal those bad boys properly!

EDIT : I do like the look of the other ones you posted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 06:41PM by Gravelrash.
April 03, 2016 10:55PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EDIT : I do like the look of the other ones you
> posted

The long switch boxes of mine, there's two places I use two of them, but the other two I've wracked my brain for over a year trying to figure how to cut the metal boxes and reassemble them shorter, so front to back it's more like Pogoplug front to back dimensions, same as a router and most everything else. For all that internal space, there's no grand circuit board within, just AC wires front to back. And when you think of how much room most things take up plugged into the back of the unit, right around 2" additionally.

But until yesterday I'd never searched eBay for rack units like the one above, and another 8-switch unit for $30 even that's 8- inches front to back. Not a glamorous purchase, but a metal box like that ought to keep some interference down, though not a perfect ground seal, but I'd imagine the surfaces acting as a ground plane might shield things up top from some interference. Even if not, being rack unit you can build a small rack with little more than 2 x several inches of 2" x 4" and make the top rack space level with sufficient ventilation holes as to dissipate any heat nicely as well.

Gravelrash with your new ThinClients maybe we can get a thread on passive cooling down the road. You for thin clients and me for hard drives. I say aluminum, you say al-you- mini-um :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2016 10:57PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 04, 2016 02:47AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:

> Gravelrash with your new ThinClients maybe we can
> get a thread on passive cooling down the road. You
> for thin clients and me for hard drives. I say
> aluminum, you say al-you- mini-um
> :-D

Hey Joey :)

Theres not much i could write about passive cooling on these thin clients other than "they have some from the factory"
February 26, 2017 03:36PM
@Joey,

Joey
I carefully opened the back to take a picture of switch/outlet orientation and am shocked to see it's very likely an unacceptable fire hazard.

Might be worth re-soldering properly and just use it, but I've probably got to warn others or something.

I took mine off the shelve and opened it. It looks better than your picture.

Gravelrash
crimping wires isnt - in and of itself - necessarily a bad thing when the components are not exposed to "wandering fingers".

what is shocking (no pun intended) is that the stranded cable has only patially been "grasped".

get the soldering iron out and seal those bad boys properly!

I'll take a few pics and let you guys judge the quality :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 26, 2017 03:53PM
Even how ugly mine is, I tried re-soldering and can't get their own tack to melt. So indeed it's very strong. I trimmed my ends but never put it back in service.

See what yours looks like bodhi...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 26, 2017 05:40PM
Joey,

If it is strong and no stray wires then it is safe, isn't it?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 26, 2017 08:51PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> If it is strong and no stray wires then it is safe
> , isn't it?

Yes I'm convinced it's safe now. I couldn't get their tacks to melt with a 40w iron. I've always favored desktop microphone stands to hold my solder iron; the tip gets a little hotter being it's pointed straight up, and rough guess I'd think it was almost as hot as a 60-watt iron. I cleaned their mess up a bit and put it back together.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 28, 2017 11:57PM
Here are the pics (I took 3 to make sure it has a better zoom-in view for each section).

Looks decent doesn't it?

---
EDIT: typos

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 04:03AM by bodhi.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5202.JPG (59 KB)
open | download - IMG_5203.JPG (62.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_5204.JPG (60.6 KB)
March 01, 2017 01:11AM
Yeah it looks good, at least for desktop use or anything that involve stress relief on the part of the AC wires that connect to the plastic shells. I wouldn't use it outdoors for the most part.

I've been thinking about making my own, just Habitat For Humanity switches, maybe 8-10 of them on the front panel - 7 inches to the back of the box and receptacles on the backside. Shouldn't be that complicated to wire and for a rack of Pogoplugs, routers and that sort of thing, you'd know it was never going to be drawing that much per through it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 12:05PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 01, 2017 04:05AM
Joey,

> I've been thinking about making my own, just Habit
> at For Humanity switches,

Is that a figure of speech, or you are actually doing some services for your neighboorhood?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 01, 2017 03:20PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Is that a figure of speech, or you are actually d
> oing some services for your neighboorhood?

There's so many wall switches and receptacles at Habitat For Humanity, let alone the 1/2 off sales - it would be a weekend project to make one or two switch boxes with maybe 7 switches on the front and 7 sets of AC plugins on the back. Maybe IEC connector for portability.

All I know is I've got wires everywhere, and would like the core of a home cloud bundled close together.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.