Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hacking an Android stick (quad core, 2GB RAM etc - $12+

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Hacking an Android stick (quad core, 2GB RAM etc - $12+
April 09, 2016 11:51PM
This seems too good to be true... Ahhh. and it is. You use the drop down menu to spend more. Argh.... still not terribly bad deal.

The Pros of course are a lot easier ordering from eBay using PayPal, but for $12 there's nothing listed so that's a letdown.

Time for cocoa and a nap :-/

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 11:55PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Hacking an Android stick (quad core, 2GB RAM etc - $12+
April 10, 2016 07:02AM
The $12 is for the keyboard.

BTW, I strongly suggest to avoid this tiny device with an internal built-in antenna which mostly won't work, if not causing interference. Long ago, I bought a dual-core stick and its WiFi never works even put next to my WiFi router.
April 10, 2016 01:33PM
Thanks a lot for the warning habibie, and sorry you got burned before. When you see 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, WiFi oh and Quadcore, at least my mind is into overdrive thinking of possibilities. Over a year ago before discovering Pogoplugs I'd seen the specs on the Android sticks but people said it was burning out quick and other problems.

Hey habibie, considering you've bought one of those, what's the coolest little quadcore you've hacked around with? Or even dualcore.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 01:36PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 10, 2016 01:42PM
April 10, 2016 03:17PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey habibie, considering you've bought one of
> those, what's the coolest little quadcore you've
> hacked around with? Or even dualcore.

Sorry and I have never done that, yet. However, the link provided in the above by Gravelrash is probably what you will need. Nevertheless, if you are into a 4-core Android TV system, perhaps you may be interested in the following inexpensive Android systems
  1. Android Smart TV Box Fully loaded Quad core 512MB/8G wifi HDMI XBMC KODI Media Player Air Mouse Keyboard TV Box (only 512 MB RAM). :(
  2. New Update XBMC Fully Loaded Original Quad Core Android TV BOX Smart Tv Media Player With Wifi KODI Better Than MXQ, M8 (no mention how much RAM it has, but the specs say it supports LPDDR2, DDR3, and DDR3L. Does it mean it has an empty slot to take such a RAM module?)
  3. Leelbox updated from mxq,android tv box,Kodi Pre installed Amlogic S805 Quad Core Android 4.4 better than cs918,m8,Smart tv box with 1/8 GB RAM/Storage, respectively.
  4. MEMOBOX MXQ Android TV Box Quad Core Amlogic S805 1G RAM 8G ROM Smart TV Box KODI XBMC Miracast DLNA Pre-install Set top box also with 1/8 GB RAM/Storage, respectively.

The bottom line is these days most decent 4-core Android TV system with 1/8 GB RAM/Storage, respectively, can be had for about $30. BTW, if you like any system above and can't buy it from AliExpress, look for the same system on e-bay and sometimes you can even find it for less.
April 10, 2016 03:41PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://liliputing.com/2014/07/now-easier-boot-linu
> x-rk3188-mini-pc-microsd-card.html

Sweet! except for video hardware acceleration but I'm used to that on the ThinClient anyway. And it it's CPU processed it should still outperform this. Well that's great news. My TV doesn't have an HDMI-in jack so I passed over these Android sticks at garage sales and Goodwill and drug store sales. Definitely worth the risk if it's a buck or two.

I wonder how OrangePi's graphics acceleration compares?

@ habibie: lots of nice stuff there as well. Thank you my friend. I may as well get to know Win32 Disk Imager in the meantime.

Better days are coming!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 03:48PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 10, 2016 03:49PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Gravelrash, any comments on OrangePi's graphics
> acceleration?

on android? - I have no idea, but allegedly the android performance is as you would expect.

On the Linux front on kernel 3.4.110 on armbian the graphics is "hardware accelerated where possible" which really means look at this table for the state of supported.

Table : Link

On kernel 4.*.* thats still very much a work in progress.
April 10, 2016 05:55PM
* yes I changed the question so you weren't put on the spot, G - but thanks for the answer

Android schmandroid - it lacks WINE, and given a choice between Google Play or WINE, Debian/Ubuntu look great again.

It seems to me this time last year it took a month or two to get oriented when everyone agreed on Pogoplugs. And they've benefited me many times over, and people I seed out to as well. Complete and utter success last year.

It's looking like sticks and Pis this year, I'll go away for now and obtain some money :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 10, 2016 06:33PM
POGOPLUGS AND KIRKWOOD PROCESSORS ARE STILL "THE DADDIES" IN MY BOOK.
April 15, 2016 07:43AM
@Joey

Tomorrow (4/16/16), AliExpress will have this Android TV Box Android 4.4 RK3128 Quad Core under US $26 + FREE S/H to US.
April 15, 2016 01:32PM
They don't take PayPal and I only have a dollar anyway :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 15, 2016 03:18PM
Sorry about that. :(
April 15, 2016 04:38PM
Thanks for thinking of me though, and when I get one of those I'll test the volts and amps and find you quick :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.