Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding new USB3 ports to my Linux Desktop computer

Posted by habibie 
Adding new USB3 ports to my Linux Desktop computer
April 19, 2016 09:36AM
I have been wanting to add external USB3 ports to my old AMD64 PhenomII X3 Linux desktop computer running on an old debian v7.1 OS. So, after lurking around AliExpress, I gathered all the products and listed them below. Originally, I just wanted to add some external USB3 ports. So, item #1d listed below seemed to be a perfect solution. However, the more I digged, the more I found. For instance, item#2 looks pretty interesting because it also provides 1 eSATA port and it doesn't look like it uses any VIA chipset. However, these ports are all located at the back of my computer and a bit harder to reach. So, comes in item #4d (5.25" Media Dashboard USB3.0 HUB All-in-one card reader with ESATA Slot LED), but at more than 2x price the item #2. However, I am a bit confused where to connect the blue connector that looks like 1/2 the size of a PATA connector. If this is an internal USB3 connector, then I guess I can't use it on my computer (Asus M3A76-CM mobo) that doesn't have any USB3 ports. Does anyone have any idea?

1. 4-Port USB3 PCIe Card
    2. 5 Port USB 3.0 to PCIe Card
    3. ORICO PVU3-5O2I Desktop 5 Port USB3.0 PCI Express Card
    4. Original N204 Plus ACS PCI-E to 4-Port USB3
  1. 2-Ports USB3 + eSATA 3 + SATA 3 + 20 Pin extender PCIe
    1. 3.5" Front Panel 4-Port USB3 + HD Audio 3.5mm Earphone Jack Mic Interface
    2. 3.5" Front Panel 4 Ports USB3
    1. 5.25" Front Panel USB3/2 + IEEE 1394 + ESATA + HD Audio + Multi Card reader CF SD
    2. 5.25" Media Dashboard USB3.0 HUB All-in-one card reader with ESATA Slot LED
Re: Adding new USB3 ports to my Linux Desktop computer
April 19, 2016 01:14PM
Great move habibie! That motherboard supports PCIE 2/SATA 2 (same as mine) so the USB 3.0 is fantastic really. And when you copy a Pogopug USB (if the stick is 3.0) that goes blazing fast.

Having said that, if you've got the space, absolutely go for the front panel/breakout box. I sort of regret not having one, or at least a PCIE card that has the 20 or so pins so you can add a breakout box.

Also my chipset is Fresco Logic and I bought two identical cards, one for ThinClient with the CPU of a mosquito, and the other for desktop, with reasonable quad core. They both transfer files real fast. Minimum 2 x USB 2 speeds, and maximum over 10x, depending what you're copying files to.

Tough call, I like the chipset on this one but don't know what's going on with the 20-pin port for breakout box. I don't even know if you can add an eSATA after the fact using the same plugs.

Cool though, you're aiming high!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2016 01:26PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.