Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PogoPlug Pro internal Power source for SATA port

Posted by habibie 
PogoPlug Pro internal Power source for SATA port
May 24, 2016 07:24PM
I stumbled onto this SATA power from in side the PogoPlug Pro post. I am not that savvy on this but wonder if anyone out here had ever tried it.
Re: PogoPlug Pro internal Power source for SATA port
May 25, 2016 02:09AM
habibie,

This is entirely feasible. 12V was converted to 5V in that power supply board. But usually when people use the 3.5" HDD they have an enclosure which typically has its own 12V power source.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 25, 2016 06:53AM
Bodhi,

That is true. But, I believe the OP on that post wanted to pull the 12+ Volt to supply to his 3TB external SATA HDD without enclosure. Unfortunately, there is no much information if he succeeded the project. Perhaps, I should contact him to find out more.
May 25, 2016 11:01AM
If you've got a minute, yeah definitely ask! I'll make a random guess.. His WD Green hard drive is no longer in service.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 25, 2016 03:33PM
Confirming your guys hypothesis, the yellow and black motherboard leads in the V3 / Pro / P21 are 12 volts and you can get + 5 volts from any one of the corresponding USB power pins (see my G+ page pictures for adding an internal SSD to the Pro/Biz and pictures of my 5 volt tap).

Heat is something to keep in mind. The power supply is only designed to power the motherboard and 4 instances of USB @ 500 ma each + safety factor. Lets say that's 3.5 amps (motherboard at 1 amp and USB at 2 amps + .5 amp safety). If you regularly start drawing more amps than that, even if the power supply will do it, your enemy is going to be heat dissipation. In other words, you risk wearing out the power supply components more quickly ala Pogoplug Video which spectacularly used to catch fire because of overheating. If you are using a couple USB devices, you can probably get away with it but don't be surprised if the PS dies prematurely as you power a 3.5" drive. External 3.5 ESATA enclosure can be had for less than $25, IMO, a safer bet if you want long term reliability.
May 25, 2016 04:30PM
@Joey

I contacted the OP and immediately got response. But, the response I got was to look at this old photo that I have no idea to which pads are those wires soldered.

@LeggoMyEggo

Good points and noted. Thank you.
May 25, 2016 05:49PM
Most hacks are intersting. But not all are worth trying. IMHO, this one is not.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 20, 2017 06:01AM
I have done this mod and i can confirm that it works....
3 years ago i built a nas for a friend of a friend and hid the electronics in box that resembled and old fashioned keepsake box to fit in with there living room aesthetics.

it has been running a 3.5" HDD for about 3 years and no errors to date.

EDIT : although the HDD was set to power down after a set period of time when not being used

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 06:03AM by Gravelrash.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.