Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Penetration testing of Android bootloader?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Penetration testing of Android bootloader?
May 26, 2016 12:44AM
While I fairly need bifocals to have any fun with that Huawei Union Y538 we *ahem* talked about lately, I'm of the conviction that Huawei is pulling our leg when they claim to give you the boot unlocking code. And to reiterate, there are non-removable spying apps running otherwise, including the camera. A lot of times what you turn off from the user "login" (you know, non root) reverts back to full spy mode at some point. Again, some day I could get a 32GB Micro SDHC card and run it fairly offline... or wait for the European Union to force Google by law to cease being evil... lol

The thought occurred to me, the boot loader unlock code is 16 digits. Uhm... worst-case ethical considerations aside considering I bought this for the hardware and hate wasting precious CPU/RAM/battery life... could I just modify the boot unlocking procedure from Windows on USB tether and brute force the correct unlocking code?

Ultimately this $10 smartphone is a Swiss army knife of useful possibilities, that's been heavily invested to spy on you in as many ways as the powers-that-be's humor allows. No one on this earth has a way to just rip out everything and insert friendly ROM either.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Penetration testing of Android bootloader?
May 26, 2016 09:49AM
Hello Joey,

I wish I can help you on this.
Re: Penetration testing of Android bootloader?
May 26, 2016 10:59AM
Ahh thanks habibie - maybe the silver lining is to spend an evening or two fiddling with my routers and finding ways to block that which I never want to pass through. And I'd like to say I'm only out $10, but I ordered a case with kickstand @ $7 additionally lol. It was $5 when I found it and $7 when I loaded up PayPal.
In fact I'm going to change my signature, one sec...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.