Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First impressions: USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapter

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
First impressions: USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapter
June 02, 2016 12:41PM
I just got this in the mail, a USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapter and it works straight up in Mint 17.3 without any additional configuration (that I know of). I've seen it for as low as $1.70 from Hong Kong (ex shipping), so just know it can be found for much cheaper than I paid for it.

USB 3.0 multimeter says:

5.075v 0.131W
0.024A 00001 mAh

This by all accounts runs the Realtek rtl8153 chipset, which among other attributes supports "RealWoW!’ technology to enable remote wake-up of a sleeping PC through the Internet". Maybe that's good, maybe not..

Unfortunately for my purposes, this didn't cure an old Windows 7 networking problem as I'd hoped, because that problem is deeper rooted. Linux Mint 17.3 auto-configured while as-expected PogoplugE02/Debian did not. But now I know more than when I knew less.

Bottom Line: it's only useful in theory and only valuable when you don't need it. Meh.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 02:44PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.