Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inexpensive 32-bit 4-core Android TV Box to hack?

Posted by habibie 
Inexpensive 32-bit 4-core Android TV Box to hack?
June 08, 2016 09:05AM
I found this NEXBOX MXQ TV Box 32Bit Android 4.4 WiFi TV Online Player Amlogic S805 Quad Core Cortex A5 1GB RAM 8GB ROM on sale for US $ 23.99 + FREE S/H to almost any country. If you are new to EverBuying, you need to apply for a new free account and will be given a free 100 EB (EverBuying) points. Once you get your new account processed, you will need to login and click the Your ACCOUNT button (on the right top corner). Then, under the My Account section, you need to confirm your account to get an additional 10 EB points. I believe each EB point will give you a US 2₵ discount towards the product in your cart during the checkout process. So, if you place an order for a NEXBOX MXQ TV Box 32Bit Android 4.4 WiFi TV Online Player Amlogic S805 Quad Core Cortex A5 1GB RAM 8GB ROM US $ 23.99 + FREE S/H, then the 110 EB points (US $2.20) will bring your total price down to a US $21.79 (see this snapshot).

I was tempted to place an order for this item. However, after perusing its specs, I noticed its Ethernet (RJ45) port only supports 10/100 Mbps. Also, I believe most, if not all, Android TV Boxes have problems with its WiFi. I have two Android TV Boxes, i.e. UG802 2-Core Cortex-A9 Android and (Andoer) Z4L Android 5.1 TV Box RK3368 Octa-Core 64Bits 2G/8G, and they both experience the same WiFi issue. I have no problem to configure both to connect to my WiFi router, but both devices refuse to accept media streams. So, I resorted to the Ethernet connection for the octa-core one. That said, if you in a dire need for an inexpensive 4-core embedded system with 1/8 GB RAM/Storage to hack running on a Linux OS, then this may not be a bad choice, especially it also supports PayPal as a payment (I think Joey will like it).

@Mod: If this post deemed in appropriate, please kindly remove it.
Re: Inexpensive 32-bit 4-core Android TV Box to hack?
June 08, 2016 09:32AM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.everbuying.net/product1164799.html
> ]NEXBOX MXQ TV Box 32Bit Android 4.4 WiFi TV
> Online Player Amlogic S805 Quad Core Cortex A5 1GB
> RAM 8GB ROM[/url]

Got one and it is possible to install linux on it, i recently took mine apart and there is an accessible TTL/TTY port there

[url=http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Hot-UG802
> -Dual-Core-Cortex-A9-Android-4-0-Rockchip-3066-108
> 0P-1GB-Ram-4GB/2055149304.html]UG802 2-Core
> Cortex-A9 Android[/url]

Hacked to run linux a couple of years ago - check out Picuntu or similar
[url]http://www.linux-rockchip.info/mw/index.php?title=Main_Page[/url]

> [url=http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andoer-Z4L-And
> roid-5-1-TV-Box-RK3368-Octa-Core-64Bits-2G-8G-XBMC
> -DLNA-4K/32619288242.html]

you could do it based on this [url]http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11/19/geekbox-is-a-hackable-android-and-linux-tv-box-powered-by-rockchip-rk3368-soc/[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 09:33AM by Gravelrash.
June 08, 2016 01:09PM
> @Mod: If this post deemed in appropriate, please
> kindly remove it.

It does look like spam, or a commercial for EB :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 08, 2016 04:35PM
bodhi Wrote:
> > @Mod: If this post deemed in appropriate,
> please
> > kindly remove it.
>
> It does look like spam, or a commercial for EB :)

TBH, I really don't know. That's why I asked Mod to remove the post if not appropriate. My honest intention is for everyone who needs this product to save some $$$. So far, it is the lowest final price I found.
June 08, 2016 04:57PM
NM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 03:58PM by Gravelrash.
June 08, 2016 08:01PM
Kidding aside, it'll be more thoughtful for everybody to post the link and tell us how you like it, not how the manufacter like the product. Or just a link is fine.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 02:59PM by bodhi.
June 08, 2016 09:48PM
OK, Bodhi. Thanks.
June 09, 2016 01:01AM
geekbox and the lander is pretty cool! And with all due respect, the Android phone from Best Buy has potential, but is the last potentially hackable gadget I buy where no one else is in my shoes. I haven't bricked it but you KNOW it isn't as fun as a fresh install.

So I'll read anything you all mention but I'm best to stay safe with mainstream retailers and whatnot. And not to worry anyone, but the US and China's trade and geopolitical situation, I think, encourage us to buy the low-hanging fruit now while it's reasonable.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
June 09, 2016 04:22AM
---------------
mod: edited

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 03:59PM by Gravelrash.
June 09, 2016 04:57AM
>
> My post was meant as a humorous reply to Bodhi's
> observation and not to your posts in
> general.

:)) I thought so.

You know, the computer screen is 2D :o)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 09, 2016 06:07AM
:o)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 03:59PM by Gravelrash.
June 09, 2016 07:11AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> geekbox and the lander is pretty cool! And with
> all due respect, the Android phone from Best Buy
> has potential, but is the last potentially
> hackable gadget I buy where no one else is in my
> shoes. I haven't bricked it but you KNOW it isn't
> as fun as a fresh install.
>

I wished I had more spare time. I see some potential here to add some supports for any of low-end inexpensive Android smartphones to either LEDE and/or OpenWRT.

> So I'll read anything you all mention but I'm best
> to stay safe with mainstream retailers and
> whatnot. And not to worry anyone, but the US and
> China's trade and geopolitical situation, I think,
> encourage us to buy the low-hanging fruit now
> while it's reasonable.

I agree. Just wanted to be sure and be on the safe side. I will caution buying from any cheap and/or inexpensive sites, i.e. AliExpress, etc. Although some products are very affordable, no one really knows if they are products rejected from the quality control. Instead of going back to recycles, a lot of Chinese manufacturers dumps them for buyers to sell cheap on site like AliExpress. So, the world, including US, etc., has become a dumping ground.
$15 drone for PC cooling
June 09, 2016 12:22PM
Right there:

I'm thinking, why fly a drone lacking a camera when you could stick that in a computer case and wireless fanspeed for four motherboard components? :-D

-edit-out the idea to chase cats around with a drone - I don't have cats anyway so why does this matter?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 12:56PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Gravelrash Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------

> >
> -Dual-Core-Cortex-A9-Android-4-0-Rockchip-3066-108
> > 0P-1GB-Ram-4GB UG802 2-Core
> > Cortex-A9 Android
>
> Hacked to run linux a couple of years ago - check
> out Picuntu or similar
> http://www.linux-rockchip.info/mw/index.php?title=Main_Page

Necro. Any update on other OS (aside from stock android and picuntu) for the Rockchip 3066? It's been over 10 years since it has been out, but looking around to breathe fresh life into this stick.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.