Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open Source Router Firmware will be locked down by FCC ruling

Posted by bodhi 
Open Source Router Firmware will be locked down by FCC ruling
June 10, 2016 11:32PM
ARS reported future routers likely be shipped with lockded down firmware:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/tp-link-blocks-open-source-router-firmware-to-comply-with-new-fcc-rule/

FCC ruling:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2339685/fcc-software-security-requirements.pdf

Hackerboards reported about MIPS VM on routers:
http://hackerboards.com/mips-vm-tech-lets-routers-stay-open-despite-new-fcc-rules/

TP-Link statement (ARS excerpt):

TP-Link says the changes it is making mean that "users are not able to flash the current generation of open-source, third-party firmware." The company added one caveat, saying that it is "excited to see the creative ways members of the open-source community update the new firmware to meet their needs." But TP-Link did not say exactly what open source firmware makers must do to use their firmware on new routers, and it said the company "does not offer any guarantees or technical support for customers attempting to flash any third-party firmware to their devices."

UPDATE: DD-WRT developer Sebastian Gottschall doubts whether TP-Link is actually blocking third-party firmware.

"TP-Link has not blocked the firmwares in any useful way," Gottschall told Ars. "Just the firmware header has been a little bit changed and a region code has been added. This has been introduced in September 2015. DD-WRT for instance does still provide compatible images... in fact it's no lock."

----

I am curious to know how "locked down" these routers will be:)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 11:35PM by bodhi.
Re: Open Source Router Firmware will be locked down by FCC ruling
June 11, 2016 05:24AM
@bodhi

:-)
To quote a wise man. "There is no such thing as an unhackable system..... just an exploit that hasn't been found or published yet
:-)
June 11, 2016 11:23AM
Only applies to routers made after June 2016, so... all things considered, so you think there will be pre-June manufactured routers on sale in the coming months? They've probably got to get rid of old stock. I'm thinking like AC1800 and stuffs like that.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
June 11, 2016 11:58AM
I just bought this ASUS RT-N56U from NewEgg $39.99 - $20 rebate = $19.99. The one NewEgg shipped to me is a v1 (manufactured in 5/2015) and is supported by OpenWRT open-source firmware. I was hoping it was a v2 and not officially supported by the OpenWRT open-source firmware mainly because it has a better / faster CPU with 2x storage.
June 11, 2016 12:54PM
Just means we will all have to "roll our own" in the future. Maybe look for a bunch of new development boards with enhanced or expandable network capabilities maybe even via modular addition. Think Raspberry Pi, router edition. Dreamplug would be a perfect older example, if it had an updated processor, 5 router ports and mini pci e slot it would be a perfect candidate.

Edit: Wink :'} for now you could settle on a Pogoplug Pro running OpenWRT 15.01 with dual antennas and a SATA port 20" Chrome Rims on a Pogoplug Pro

Yeah, THANKS FOLKS. You need not pay me, your accolades are enough.

==> Shepherds stick comes from side of stage and pulls me off of it.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 03:15PM by LeggoMyEggo.
June 11, 2016 06:42PM
I'm still back thinking about dee-licious Eggo™ Waffles. It's not a rising crust pizza - but that comparison is ridiculous; no one said it had to be. I wonder if you could toast an Eggo™ and wrap it like an ice cream cone?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 06:43PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
June 16, 2016 05:20AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02, you do pretty good tinkering, but why don't you detail your processes, by way of sharing. Your hardware hacks are quite good, but I've clicked on your Google plus links so many times, only to see pictures, and not much by way of descriptions or details. For example, the radio service you built to make use of your fm radios was also great. I found it, looking for HowTo install LMS on Jessie, a particular challenge to Jessie, becaue of Perl issue. But only saw the pictures, not write-up. Thanks for the pictures for now, however.
June 16, 2016 08:07AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> [url=https://plus.google.com/102451892644902697868
> /posts/826tanJYqBS]20" Chrome Rims on a Pogoplug
> Pro[/url]
>
> Yeah, THANKS FOLKS. You need not pay me, your
> accolades are enough.
>

*Applause from the Stalls and a standing ovation*
June 19, 2016 11:59AM
notoneofmyseeds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JoeyPogoPlugE02, you do pretty good tinkering, but
> why don't you detail your processes, by way of
> sharing. Your hardware hacks are quite good, but
> I've clicked on your Google plus links so many
> times, only to see pictures, and not much by way
> of descriptions or details. For example, the radio
> service you built to make use of your fm radios
> was also great. I found it, looking for HowTo
> install LMS on Jessie, a particular challenge to
> Jessie, becaue of Perl issue. But only saw the
> pictures, not write-up. Thanks for the pictures
> for now, however.

You probably meant LeggoMyEggo, because the hack I brought up is foodware, and I provided no pictures. :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.