Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EasyFan: quiet movable fan for your desktop case

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
EasyFan: quiet movable fan for your desktop case
June 28, 2016 06:17PM
-edited- Many desktop towers benefit from an additional fan, but they're hard to mount in a pinch, exude coupling noise and tip over if they're free standing on the case bottom. And after years of volunteering for low income types I can tell you the desktop case isn't going away anytime soon, nor this spot cooling problem.

So here's the project, materials:
1. 1 x Fan
2. 4 x Rubber case mounts
3. 4 x magnets (got mine from a shower curtain at the Dollar Store)
4. Good super glue (Locktite is $1 and incredible)

#1 illustration shows the pieces. Insert the rubber mounts through the bottom. Dot of super glue on each magnet, I went two at a time.

#2 illustration: Voila. You can stick this to the floor of the computer case without fear it'll move, and possible sideways but I don't need to try it. If you need more height just stick 4 more magnets to the other magnets and it's one way to skin a cat.

* there isn't much protection if a wire somehow dropped into the fan, so tie your wires neat inside the case.

Result: feels professional, nice rubber cushion and just the right amount of sticking power.

Aside from adding no more noise that I could already tell, having this fan just the slightest bit in a better place, I played three rounds of intensive games at higher settings and the graphics adapter isn't even warm. Before this the heatsink was blisteringly hot.

I hope you enjoyed this DIY tutorial or it inspired you to clean your bench for the next rainy day.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 01:04AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.Fan+RubberMounts+Magnets.jpg (230.1 KB)
open | download - 2.Voila.jpg (245.5 KB)
Re: EasyFan: quiet movable fan for your desktop case
June 30, 2016 10:22PM
Nice mod Joey :) I like the possibility of using a 120mm, wisper quiet fan without having to drill/cut.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 01, 2016 01:24AM
Thank you kindly sir! Yeah the fans were new in the box for $1 each at Goodwill, but after examining the boxes and the other fan close up I'm not sure what mm it is, but I suspect 80mm. It's aimed so half the air blows at the graphics adapter and the rest toward RAM and a motherboard heatsink that's either the original blown-out video adapter or one of the bridges.

So one more mod, a switch for Off-7v-12v because it's overkill unless games are being played. Then again it was a cool day here.

I'll definitely make more though, since they'e so easily removed it's fair to overclock old computers now and get one last season of hurrah out of them.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 01:28AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
July 06, 2016 06:36AM
I don't know much about fan. If you have Fry's Electronic store nearby, perhaps this Enermax Twister Bearing Silence 140mm Case Fan US $9.99 (after a $5 rebate) can be had for FREE (excluding sales tax) using this promo code 9216688 (available for today only 07/06/16).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.