Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Me scores $3 Seagate FreeAgent Theater+

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Me scores $3 Seagate FreeAgent Theater+
July 21, 2016 06:24PM
Wow, now I understand, the reason you put a 2.5" hard drive in a Seagate enclosure, so it plugs in the front panel that opens with that little plug in the middle.

*no there was no hard drive included, just the empty bay

Nothing to bug you all about because it may be a bit of time before I can get supporting materials, but if I know you all you're going "cool!"

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 01:00AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Me scores $3 Seagate FreeAgent Theater+
July 21, 2016 07:54PM
Nice. BTW, where did you get it from, i.e. local thrift store, eBay,e tc.?
July 21, 2016 08:41PM
Neighborhood thrift store. I went there with $4 to get a microphone stand base, which doubles as an excellent solder iron holder if you take the microphone out. Then I saw the Seagate name and the jacks on the back :-)

So the
Pros, HDMI out, optical-out for audio.
Cons: 10/100 ethernet (just because it makes me think that's all) and no immediate WiFi, although it's said to be a $70 aftermarket option from Seagate. Also it's said you have to really point the weak remote control or it'll miss. Maybe for a change I'll try it for a while and see what area the hardware is best suited for.

Haven't tried it even, could be broke! My TV died last week so I have no TV to test right now.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 08:44PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
July 22, 2016 05:10AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't tried it even, could be broke! My TV died
> last week so I have no TV to test right now.

I havent owned a TV for over 15 years... i use have used a pc monitor instead (tv cards / android players etc)
July 22, 2016 07:29AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Haven't tried it even, could be broke! My TV died
> last week so I have no TV to test right now.

An HDMI or old analog TV? If you still had a good analog TV, you can use this HDMI2AV adapter to connect your Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ to your old analog TV. My USB Voltage / Ampere meter shows this HDMI2AV adapter consumes about 600 mA current @5 vdc (about 3 Watts) and it becomes very warm pretty up fast, too. TBH, I would stay away to downgrade from an HDMI to AV mainly the end result is horrible, especially if you had to view text strings (in kodi). I have this old UG802 Android TV Box connected to my old analog Toshiba 62" TV using an HDMI2AV adapter and the resolution is just OK, but trying to browse through the kodi (v16.1) menu is hard.
July 22, 2016 01:22PM
The TV has a funny story - three years ago some quite attractive lady I don't know pulled-up in a pickup truck, asked "hey, would you like a TV?" So it was a CRT Sanyo (31" or 32"), no HDMI but decent screen and 800 x 600, which, in my world is fine for a TV. So, three years of happy.
And yes I have a decent spare monitor to hook this into, just waiting for the heat wave to subside.

You know the Dell monitors where you can clip little speakers underneath? If I can find something that either accepts the Seagate's toslink audio or gets HDMI audio to them, now that would be happy camping! I lucked into one at Goodwill and it's currently in the ThinClient I'm on right now. I think the analog ones are $10-20 shipped, but one thing at a time.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 01:26PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Jake
February 20, 2017 04:06PM
I bought a FAT+ back in it's heyday. It worked great. Was very simple to use so it was perfect for my very un-tech-savvy wife. Before getting a cat5 line to it I used it with wifi. I did NOT buy the Seagate $70 offering, but found a $5 after rebate usb plugin wifi adapter that worked fantastic with it. I weened my wife off FAT+ about a year ago. It was getting pretty clunky and she mostly watched netflix with it and Roku runs that much better. I do want to hack it to a different OS and that would be linux I believe to put on a spare TV
February 20, 2017 04:14PM
The processor is MIPS and it runs a very old version of Linux (2.5.x or 2.6.xx). This box is not really worth hacking because it is too underpower. I would just install optware to extend the functionality. It has been rooted before.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 20, 2017 08:08PM
bodhi Wrote:
> The processor is MIPS and it runs a very old versi
> on of Linux (2.5.x or 2.6.xx). This box is not rea
> lly worth hacking because it is too underpower. I
> would just install optware to extend the functiona
> lity. It has been rooted before.

Long-term I'll poke around and see what optware could do for it.

For regular TV viewing it's great, not a glich or anything. I previously said it wouldn't play flac files but the manual says it will.
Oh-kay...

The moral of the story, if you have am item you aren't using and donate to a thrift store: THANKS from people like me :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 11:51AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.