Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short term (seconds) battery solution for Pogolug E2?

Posted by rkrug 
Short term (seconds) battery solution for Pogolug E2?
September 16, 2016 10:15AM
Hi

We have recently short power outages (usually less than 2 seconds) but it is enough that my Pogoplug E02 shuts down.

Is there an easy / cheap solution to bridge these short power failures? I have a UPS (I want to use it for my NAS and external drives) lying around, but I would prefer something more lightweight?

Rainer

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
Re: Short term (seconds) battery solution for Pogolug E2?
September 16, 2016 11:02PM
I can brainstorm but don't know if I'm barking up the right tree.

Figure a Pogo E02 is powered by 5 volts after the power supply; if you could setup a battery as a UPS from that point, in theory it'd work. But the only batteries I think are 5 volts are probably lithium ion, and that seems kind of scary. With regular rechargeable batteries, like Cs and Ds, you'd need 3 x for 4.5v and 4 x for 6v. Which isn't 5 volts!

Graverash of Bobba will know what to do :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 17, 2016 08:54AM
I have a non-immediate plan for building and/or assembling my own DC power source from readily available inexpensive parts. Basically, my plan uses a 12 VDC car battery to provide some 5 VDC and/or 12 VDC outlets. The later is a straightforward while the former requires any 12 VDC to 5 VDC step-down converter with a proper Ampere rating, i.e. any Universal USB Car Charger (along with an initial Cigarette Lighter Socket Power Outlet), etc. Additional parts may be needed to support multiple devices, i.e. 3 Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter, multiple of any Universal USB Car Charger, etc. For the 12 VDC battery, use any automatic 12 VDC battery charger (or even solar / win generator) to maintain its power. I have not built this yet, so I don't know how reliable it will be, particularly the later part (the part that continuously charges the 12 VDC car battery). I don't mind any feedbacks from anyone here.
September 19, 2016 06:53AM
Sounds interesting and I thought along the same lines already for some time - but than do it with solar probably.

Please keep me here posted,

Rainer

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.