Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering your USB 3.0 hub

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Powering your USB 3.0 hub
November 21, 2016 10:59AM
Excuse the crude image I threw together, but check it out for ideas.

As you can see, upper right, is a 3-port USB 3.0 hub I plug into my laptop. It provides such little power it won't run a USB 2.0 flash drive on its own! I thought it was broke.

Bottom right is a 2.5" hard drive with one of those combo plugs, where one plug is USB 3.0 and the other is provided to forage for power elsewhere. Once I plugged that in, everything powers up. Also I can remove that 2.5" hard drive and the adapter will still supply power.

That's why in theory I think PogoPro's mpcie-to-USB3.0 card may not need power if it has a powered USB 3.0 hub plugged into it. The kind that use a wall wart 5v power supply

-Afterthought- I know we've all heard USB 2.0 may not be enough to power USB 3.0, but something is making this work. It might be the external hard drives are efficient enough (the Gigabit adapter takes-up almost nothing) and/or the power supply for the laptop is good quality. The laptop is headless so there might be another reason extra power is available. But this isn't finished yet, I'm still looking for an even better power harness to really dilute the power draw.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 12:40PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - ExPressUSB3card800x.jpg (146.6 KB)
Re: Powering your USB 3.0 hub
November 21, 2016 03:47PM
Joey,

> That's why in theory I think PogoPro's
> mpcie-to-USB3.0 card may not need power if it has
> a powered USB 3.0 hub plugged into it. The kind
> that use a wall wart 5v power supply
>
> -Afterthought- I know we've all heard USB 2.0 may
> not be enough to power USB 3.0, but something is
> making this work.

I think the laptop USB 2.0 port has enough power to drive these. The 2.5" HDD draws the most juice and it never failed for me on any laptop.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.