Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seagate - Expansion 5TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive under $85

Posted by habibie 
Seagate - Expansion 5TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive under $85
November 27, 2016 07:46AM
Currently, Bestbuy has this Seagate - Expansion 5TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $109.00 + Free S/H (or store pick up) - $25 off with VISA Checkout Discount = $84. What it does not say is internally it is a 5 TB SATA HDD. Can anyone confirm this? Otherwise, I would get one for my other GoFLEX Home unit which currently has no HDD but only enclosure case.
Re: Seagate - Expansion 5TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive under $85
November 27, 2016 02:42PM
habibie,

> it does not say is internally it is a 5 TB SATA
> HDD. Can anyone confirm this? Otherwise, I would
> get one for my other GoFLEX Home unit which
> currently has no HDD but only enclosure case.

They always have internal SATA disk plugged into USB controller. Exactly the same way as if we put them together from parts with a USB 3.0 enclosure and a barebone HDD. Just be careful and gently dismantling the case. And boot into Debian/Arch on the GFHome USB, wipe out all HDD disk partitions using parted, and reformat to GPT partition(s).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 27, 2016 03:56PM
Bodhi, thank you.

Apparently, the SATA HDD employs the so called Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology which is not good for a RAID architecture. It is good as a storage, though. Regardless, Bestbuy runs out of stock on this HDD. The 4 TBB version is the same price and also carries a $25 discount from a VISA checkout.
November 27, 2016 06:59PM
Went to Best Buy yesterday myself - bought a 1TB Blue Desktop hard drive for $59 and the price dropped $5 overnight! Emailed the manager - if i get $5 credit and another is there for $5 off I might get a 2nd and have the desktop hard drives replaced! Sure there's different iterations of what constitutes a good deal - I could have dropped $20 extra and gotten a 2TB hard drive, but I wasn't sure what I was getting, as it was labeled WD Desktop, and the Blue part is harder to find.

So what's the VISA checkout? I refused, thinking I need to sign for a financial institutions's terms of service and all that.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 27, 2016 10:13PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Went to Best Buy yesterday myself - bought a 1TB
> Blue Desktop hard drive for $59 and the price
> dropped $5 overnight! Emailed the manager - if i
> get $5 credit and another is there for $5 off I
> might get a 2nd and have the desktop hard drives
> replaced! Sure there's different iterations of
> what constitutes a good deal - I could have
> dropped $20 extra and gotten a 2TB hard drive, but
> I wasn't sure what I was getting, as it was
> labeled WD Desktop, and the Blue part is harder to
> find.
>
> So what's the VISA checkout? I refused, thinking I
> need to sign for a financial institutions's terms
> of service and all that.
>
Visa checkout means you pay your order with your Visa card (see here for more detail). For instance, if you return your 1 TB HDD and then buy 2x 1 TB ( a total of $100+), you will get a $25 off the total, i.e. $100+ - $25 = $75+ charged to your Visa card. If you don't already have a Visa card, ask anyone who has a Visa card to pay it for you and then pay the person with your money.
November 27, 2016 11:10PM
Hey thanks for that :-) I made it this far in life without a credit card and hope to stay that way.

Well wish me luck, I know Best Buy sells same exact model number packaged as something else, so their website says my model went down $5 and if so I'm one step closer to Pogoplug parts :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 28, 2016 02:06PM
Well good news here - indeed Best Buy lowered the prices overnight and they adjusted the price I paid the other day and I barely, barely added a 2TB Blue 5400RPM Internal to the 1TB 7200RPM Blue bought the other day.

Joey has good days too! Wow. Oh man this chick with luminescent purple hair just mesmerized me too. I love those Best Buy chicks :-) Lily from AT&T ain't got nothing on the Best Buy girls (a big statment I know) :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 28, 2016 06:42PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Joey has good days too! Wow. Oh man this chick
> with luminescent purple hair just mesmerized me
> too. I love those Best Buy chicks :-) Lily from
> AT&T ain't got nothing on the Best Buy
> girls (a big statment I know) :-D
>
You should have taken the snapshots of her and upload them somewhere for us to see her, too.
November 28, 2016 08:21PM
habibie Wrote:
> You should have taken the snapshots of her and
> upload them somewhere for us to see her, too.

Usually I do take selfies, and today almost brought the camera - and I can't explain it, but I seem to bring out the inner fun in whoever is my selfie buddy. The Best Buy girls are you know, at that age where fun is fun. But I couldn't exploit them by posting. But i want to :-) They deserve to be appreciated but they're going to have to self-market a little better and I'll keep the selfies :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 28, 2016 09:49PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You should have taken the snapshots of her and
> > upload them somewhere for us to see her, too.
>
> Usually I do take selfies, and today almost
> brought the camera - and I can't explain it, but I
> seem to bring out the inner fun in whoever is my
> selfie buddy. The Best Buy girls are you know, at
> that age where fun is fun. But I couldn't exploit
> them by posting. But i want to :-) They deserve to
> be appreciated but they're going to have to
> self-market a little better and I'll keep the
> selfies :-)
>
Understood.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.