Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got an Iomega 34571 2TB Home Media Network Hard Drive

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Got an Iomega 34571 2TB Home Media Network Hard Drive
January 03, 2017 07:37PM
Around the time I came here trying to get a poor man's ZyXEL NSA 320 together using Pogoplugs, I'd ran into a Computer Science professor who said he was cleaning out and might have a network box. I had no idea what he meant, but the other day got an email from him and it's an Iomega 2TB external thing with printer support. It's said to have an Oxford 810SE chipset with 370MHz CPU Processor, and on my Gigabit LAN reads and writes in the 9MB/sec range. I took the hard drive out and it's formatted Ext 3 on a Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA II.

With one USB port dedicated either to a printer or more USB storage, I plugged in a new SanDisk Ultra 32GB and the read speed across gigabit peaked a 8MB/sec.

With 64MB onboard RAM I don't have plans to hack it, but just thought I'd pass along another indicator that a lower power CPU is a bottleneck. Still I intend to analyse this for Science. And cancel my 3rd Beelink plans because my bodhian-Pogoplugs all exceed these transfer specs! I'll tweak this for a long time and see what's what.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 12:11AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.