Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1 TB SATA HDD under US $40?

Posted by habibie 
1 TB SATA HDD under US $40?
January 13, 2017 07:04AM
I saw this WD - Mainstream 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops - Multi and am wondering if it is any good deal.
Re: 1 TB SATA HDD under US $40?
January 13, 2017 09:25AM
On the front of these there's a small place that's green or blue, signifying it's a re-badged Blue or Green. If it's Blue (likely), recommended for sure. Quiet, fast (600 MB/sec-ready), 64 MB cache, 2 year warranty and if something should go wrong WD is known to be accessible, whereas Seagate makes you jump through so many hoops a lot of people give up.
If money weren't so tight I could get one for $34.99 because of rewards points, some of which were earned reviewing these drives as excellent at $53.00!! Stock up I say :-)

FWIW the laptop/notebook version of this is fast and quiet too, as my neighbor learned on his laptop (he bought the 500 GB), and also FWIW the 2TB version of the desktop model (and laptop too) runs at 5400 RPM and not 7200 RPM like the one we're looking at here. It's still real good.

Something bad would have to happen to get me to buy Seagate again; they seem to care more about acquiring other hard drive makers (like WD) than products worth the money anymore.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 11:57AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 13, 2017 01:14PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the front of these there's a small place that's
> green or blue, signifying it's a re-badged Blue or
> Green. If it's Blue (likely), recommended for
> sure. Quiet, fast (600 MB/sec-ready), 64 MB cache,
> 2 year warranty and if something should go wrong
> WD is known to be accessible, whereas Seagate
> makes you jump through so many hoops a lot of
> people give up.
>
Did you mean the WD logo with a blue/green background? In this case, it is a blue background.
January 13, 2017 01:42PM
habibie Wrote:
> Did you mean the WD logo with a blue/green
> background? In this case, it is a blue background.

I just happened to have a camera here and made a quick image of a real WD "Everyday Desktop" Blue.
Maybe I emphasized a bit overkill but that ought to do.

Yeah if you have the jing, it's time for a cash register to ring :-) It's the best deal going and I'll try my level best to get another one, but - I was wrong, Best Buy didn't apply my review points yet. But they maybe will in time LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - WDMainstreamBlue.jpg (85.1 KB)
January 13, 2017 05:23PM
Tip: at the BestBuy website you can read reviews, and see key words used in the reviews. But they're not "accurate", for instance this drive, you see the word Errors, and if you click on that word you can read the reviews, which mostly say they had previous hard drives with errors and this new drive replaced it. So we see the grammar robot lied to us if we take it at face value.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 13, 2017 07:25PM
So, in other words, don't buy this SATA HDD.
January 13, 2017 07:46PM
habibie Wrote:
> So, in other words, don't buy this SATA HDD.

DO buy it ASAP! Remember when my hard drives were going into the death spiral lately? I bought two of these exact hard drives. I got a third as Christmas present and neighbor bought a new laptop version. Super happy.

I almost didn't buy these because of reviews that said "errors" and when I looked closer, the reviews were saying their old hard drives (not these) had errors before they got these. Hope that helps.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 07:46PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 13, 2017 08:00PM
Did you get 600 MBps through put by hdparm on your SATA HDD?
January 13, 2017 08:05PM
Your attachment shows the box is indeed a blue color. This one is not.
January 13, 2017 08:58PM
habibie Wrote:
> Did you get 600 MBps through put by hdparm on your
> SATA HDD?

No, I don't have a motherboard beyond 300 MB/sec anyway. All I know is, the files copied over fast. Maybe one of these days I'll run tests. At the moment I changed cases for two motherboards and the new hard drives aren't hooked-up yet. It's to mak room for an AMD motherboard I got for $12 at Goodwill at a 50% off sale. I actually borrowed a car, borrowed $20 and went there 1/2 hour before they opened. If you must know it's an ASUS M4N78 Pro that makes use of spare parts here such as CPU and RAM.

> Your attachment shows the box is indeed a blue
> color. This one is not.

They posted the wrong picture when I bought mine as well. You probably won't know unless you visit the store.
Try this: Google (or DuckDuckGo) the model number which is: WDBH2D0010HNC-NRSN
Notice a lot more images that looks like mine? So you know I'm not jivin' you.

Now you know why I'm happily broke for a while, but I'd go with one more loan if there's a WD Desktop Blue for $40.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 09:04PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 13, 2017 09:02PM
Joey,

Thank you for all the information. I will pass this SATA HDD.
January 13, 2017 10:23PM
habibie Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> Thank you for all the information. I will pass
> this SATA HDD.

I last bought brand new hard drives in 2004! Over the years there have been people who ask if I could use a junked computer for parts, and I've wiped the used drives and stockpiled them. These days I'm as addicted to new hard drives as we all were for Pogoplugs - it's a binge that will self-correct when I've got two more 1 TBs.

America's first Billionaire, John D Rockefeller was asked "how much is enough?" He said "just a little more" LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 14, 2017 06:33AM
If I knew this $10 off coupon, I could probably placed an order for 1 unit.
January 14, 2017 03:31PM
habibie Wrote:
> If I knew this
> [url=https://slickdeals.net/f/9669180-best-buy-cou
> pon-for-additional-savings-10-off-email-offer-sele
> ct-accts]$10[/url] off coupon, I could probably
> placed an order for 1 unit.

You have better luck than I on this particular deal (see attachment).
Yesterday I emailed the manager about price adjusting because it was 14 and not 15 days since I bought the last one at $53.

So figure, if I had the $10 off coupon, and they price adjusted me $13, plus honored my accepted reviews totaling way over 250 points for another $5 off. A $12 1TB drive?
That would be sweet and complete my hard drive quest. But noooooo...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - BestBuy.JPG (20.7 KB)
January 16, 2017 03:04PM
Well Habbie, I got my Rewards points! And Best Buy jacked the price back up to $54.99

:'‑(

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 16, 2017 08:14PM
Yes.
January 16, 2017 08:42PM
habibie Wrote:
> Yes.

Plus the last time I went to Best Buy the young women lacked the fresh enthusiasm of previous visits. Instead, they looked like the rave was over and now they were dealing with... concerns... regrets...

BONUS: So I'm leaving Best Buy last time with a new hard drive. The exit door alarm goes off and I pose with my hands against the glass like I was going to be frisked. Every head in the store turns toward me and the lady at the counter shouts "I thought I scanned your stuff right" and I yelled "no, I shoplifted it!". She waved me to go.

Oh well it was worth it for a laugh :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 09:23PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.