Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Vizio ISG-B03 Co-Star™ Stream Player worth to hack?

Posted by habibie 
Is Vizio ISG-B03 Co-Star™ Stream Player worth to hack?
April 19, 2017 09:43AM
eBay has this manufacturer refurbished Vizio ISG-B03 Co-Star™ Stream Player US $19.95 + Free S/H (to US?) sans remote control and AC/DC adapter. According to this IFixIt review, it is based on a Marvell ARM dual-core, 1.2GHz Armada 1500 processor and has the following hardware specs (teardown views):
  • Marvell Armada 1500 1.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor
  • Marvell 88DE2755 QDEO Video Processor
  • Nanya NT5CB256M8GN-DI 1 GB RAM
  • Samsung K9GBG08U0A-SCBO 4 GB NAND Flash
  • Marvell Avastar 88W8787 WLAN/Bluetooth/FM SoC
Unfortunately, it does NOT have any mPCIe slot nor a support for SATA. Other than that, I believe this unit is way more powerful than a Pogoplug Pro. That said, the question is if this device is worth to hack to run ARMbian.
Re: Is Vizio ISG-B03 Co-Star™ Stream Player worth to hack?
April 19, 2017 10:23AM
I believe that is based on the same reference design used for the original Chromecast and Google TV. The actual processor is the Marvell 88DE3100. Linux support for the processor was added in late 2013. The linux kernel designates this as part of the Marvell Berlin series of processors.
April 19, 2017 11:19AM
This Google TV Goes ARM with Marvell's ARMADA 1500 may have more information about the item.
gossboss5501
January 31, 2018 11:29PM
Sorry I just have one question Why can't aps apk or what ever be loaded on usb drive??
February 01, 2018 08:46PM
Now, the price has just dropped to US $12.95 and am tempted to get one unit to play.
February 04, 2018 04:30AM
Maybe interesting for you, although I don't know if all the info there still applies:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/27/sdk-released-for-steam-link-based-on-marvell-armada-1500-mini-processor/
February 08, 2018 09:48PM
no worth to spend much time on these devices without official/community support.

If the cost is main reason, just go to single board computer like orange pi, nanopi, chip, raspberry pi, could install whole linux OS on them, little more expensive to buy sd card, power adapter, but more flexible , more fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:50PM by asterix.
This box is a turd. Many Many hardware issues. Quick failures. Stay far away, not worth $2. One Man's Opinion.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.