Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sata DOM hardware mod to Canvio NAS

Posted by R0B3r7 
Sata DOM hardware mod to Canvio NAS
July 27, 2017 06:39PM
hi guys, just sharing a little hardware mod to the Toshiba Canvio Home NAS that may also apply to some other embedded systems out there.

Basically I was looking for an alternative boot option rather than the internal 2TB 3.5" hard drive. I was having trouble getting the drive to sleep consistently while it was set up with the OS as well as storage.

This unit has just one USB port currently with a TV tuner installed and I preferred something internal rather than a USB hub and flash drive hanging off it.

When checking out the PCB I noticed the 2nd SATA port was actually wired up to an empty external header pad. Wondering how I could use this lead me to look into the Sata DOM. It is basically somewhere between a USB flash drive and an SSD. At $20 delivered for an 8GB I thought it was worth a try.

Here are some pictures of the Canvio NAS PCB before and after. The SATA connector and capacitors are just salvaged from an old PC motherboard.
PCB Before
PCB After

Here is a picture of the disk I used although there are many other size and shapes available.
8GB Hyperdisk Sata DOM

And here it is all connected.
Sata DOM Installed

Once powered on the new drive was detected in u-boot ok and then I had to update the DTS to enable the 2nd Sata port in Linux.

I have just installed Bodhi's latest 4.12.1 Kirkwood package and it is running great. The new drive is totally enclosed in the case, it boots up quick and now the main 3.5" storage drive can sleep even while the NAS is streaming or time-shifting live TV.

Robert
Re: Sata DOM hardware mod to Canvio NAS
July 27, 2017 06:56PM
nice job!!
July 28, 2017 03:29AM
Excellent job Robert!

I'll add this to the Wiki.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 28, 2017 04:39PM
Nice hack. Can you provide the source for the 8GB Hyperdisk Sata DOM?

Thanks,
Ray
August 06, 2017 01:29PM
To say this is inspiring is an understatement! Damn you're good.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 07, 2017 11:42PM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice hack. Can you provide the source for the 8GB
> Hyperdisk Sata DOM?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

Hi Ray,

This particular one was from Aliexpress, but there are plenty of different makes, models, sizes and suppliers around.
Like SSD and flash drives there is also different quality, MLC /SLC and read/write speeds too.
For the price, this one works well and does exactly what I wanted.
Hyperdisk DOM link

Robert
September 12, 2017 02:51PM
That listing is no longer available, but it was enough information for me to find other listings. It appears that prices have gone up considerably on these as the cheapest I can find is $21.11 before shipping. I also found similar 16GB unit on Amazon for $30 shipped. I'm looking to use this with a PogoPlug Pro. Will post results after it has arrived and I try it out.

Ray
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.