Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compuserve to disappear... and i bet you thought it had :)

Posted by Gravelrash 
Compuserve to disappear... and i bet you thought it had :)
November 14, 2017 10:00AM
Re: Compuserve to disappear... and i bet you thought it had :)
November 14, 2017 11:32PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fes up if you are old enough to remember it :)
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/40495831/compuserves-forums-which-still-exist-are-finally-shutting-down

I never did CompuServe, but it brings back memories of my first 56Kbps US Robotics dialup modem! It screamed at 8K transfers at certain hours of the night! But I also remember long downloads with one byte to go and it would stop at that point!

Therefore those little computers you guys are so good at building, I'm astounded, in awe, and think you guys are still years ahead of your time.even though it took years behind your time to get ahead lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 15, 2017 02:55AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> fes up if you are old enough to remember it :)
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/40495831/compuserves-forums-which-still-exist-are-finally-shutting-down

I didn't use compuserve much but I may have had to get a beeper so people could let me know to logoff the BBS's I frequented to let them call on the phone.
November 16, 2017 03:54AM
feas Wrote:
> I may have had to
> get a beeper so people could let me know to logoff

+1

:))
November 16, 2017 05:52AM
I did not have the privilege to get to know CompuServe. But not because I was too young, I think I was too busy working jobs and trying finish graduate school back in those days :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 16, 2017 07:07AM
I never used such a CompuServe service. However, anyone who has a Pogoplug Pro with a 1 Gbps dow/up bandwidth can offer to host can certainly offer to host such a forum if interested, AFAICT.

OT: Has anyone here used the USENet News before, i.e usernet.nl? If I can find a free one, especially with binary groups, I sure would like to sign up for an account to use it.
November 17, 2017 05:44AM
habibie Wrote:
> OT: Has anyone here used the USENet News before,
> i.e usernet.nl? If
> I can find a free one, especially with binary
> groups, I sure would like to sign up for an
> account to use it.

I have used Usenet before, back when they were all free. these days they all seem to have a "pay-for-play" model.

EDIT: the saying goes.... "you get what you pay for"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 05:45AM by Gravelrash.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.