Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Performance of ARMbian on Seagate GoFLEX or PogoPlug Pro as NAS

Posted by habibie 
Performance of ARMbian on Seagate GoFLEX or PogoPlug Pro as NAS
December 01, 2017 06:52AM
I thought that I had asked this question here before, but I just could not find my post, unfortunately.

Anyway, I have some Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET and/or PogoPlug Pro (preferably the former) that I wanted to setup as a dedicated NAS on my private gigabit network with a 3 TB Seagate (ST3000DM001-1ER1 CC26) SATA HHD whose performance reported by hdparm utility is shown below. My plant is to use this NAS as a cloud storage to share among my Linux desktop computers, smartphones, tablets, and/or Android / LibreELEC TV Boxes. I have an option to use either LEDE/OpenWRT or ARMbian OS. Although my preference is for the former, I am leaning towards the later for a number of reasons, i.e. native GCC compiler (hopefully GCC7). All I want to see to convince me is the performance of a Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET or even a PogoPlug Pro as a NAS (either using NFS or Samba, etc.) under ARMbian. Anyone?

[root@linux:/home/local/PEOPLE/habibie 44%] # hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   2584 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1291.43 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 562 MB in  3.00 seconds = 187.13 MB/sec
0.191u+2.580s=0:13.97e(19.8%) TDSavg=0k+0k+0k max=4212k 1167648+0io 3pf+0sw
[root@linux:/home/local/PEOPLE/habibie 45%] #
Re: Performance of ARMbian on Seagate GoFLEX or PogoPlug Pro as NAS
December 01, 2017 03:49PM
I've moved this topic here, since it is about ARMbian.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 01, 2017 05:45PM
Bodhi, thank you.
December 01, 2017 10:18PM
As far as I can tell Armbian currently only supports armv7l and aarch64 so you would have some development work to do to get it on a GoFlexHome/Net or PogoPlug Pro (armv5tel). I have Armbian running on a HardKernel Odroid-XU4, Pine64 and an Orange Pi Zero.

Ray
December 03, 2017 09:42AM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I can tell Armbian currently only supports armv7l and aarch64 ...
>
From what you said above, I think I have been mistaking the ARMbian OS with the debian OS for ARM processors?
December 03, 2017 08:07PM
Quoting from the Armbian website:

We are the only distribution specialized for ARM development boards. Our primary objectives are optimizing low-level settings, kernel settings and its security and security in general. They lead into lowering consumption, provide top performance and high security at the same time. Not a single of those aspects is covered by board maker or any other distribution.

They provide either Debian or Ubuntu based images for various arm7l and aarch64 based development boards. The only non-development board systems they provide images for are the SolidRun Cubox-i, the Beelink X2 TV Box and the Pinebook A64 notebook.

Ray
December 04, 2017 09:17AM
Ray, thank you.
December 13, 2017 06:13PM
habibie Wrote:
> Ray, thank you.

I've got two Beelink X2s with new Sandisks, one flashed with Armbian Debian and the other Armbian Ubuntu. I got them that far and set them aside for now, hope to get back to it when more urgent tasks are out of the way very soon.

It's not that bad by itself, and they're said to run great if you can get Armbian to NAND, but I'm slowly changing my monitors to ones with digital ins and adding HDMI adapters, because analog monitors weren't displaying right.

I'd still love to make a neighborhood web server/ simple forum but there is no easy way. Yet.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 14, 2017 06:51AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> I'd still love to make a neighborhood web server/simple forum but there is no easy way. Yet.
>
Joey, I thought we had such a discussion with the FREE (open-source) PunBB software? I tested this on my PogoPlug Pro (IIRC) with a self-built OpenWRT and it ran pretty good. All I did was just to create a new PunBB package for OpenWRT (this includes an installation script to modifying the uhttp server configuration to provide a web space on a different port for this PunBB), recompile, and then re-install OpenWRT on my Pogoplug Pro.. As simple as that. In your case, perhaps you weill just need to download/install the source code for the PunBB package and modify the config file for web server on your device so that it will provide a web server space for the PunBB.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.