Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Net Neutrality ends and now local servers are magnitudes more important

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Net Neutrality ends and now local servers are magnitudes more important
December 14, 2017 12:33PM
The past year+ has marked a power grab on the net, with all our web history for sale, foreign government propaganda and now - the chair of the FCC wants to allow web throttling and make usable web access for the rich. Who is rich? Governments.

If this means my bill goes down and the people with 8K wall TVs can pay for more bandwidth, then cool. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I wonder, with access is so funneled and easy to cut off completely, if we ought to have a geek contest for many kinds of connectable servers. Legoland may is what I'd call it. LOL Nodes like feas (I think) showed us if something a little easier to make for a simple neighborhood server like Habibie showed is (I can't compile, I don't think I can).

In conclusion, there is a great need to go local or local hops, not only if our information is so strictly controlled, but if our only current means is cut completely. Maybe I shouldn't have called it a doomsday server. something nice, like Jitterbug, and state the intended use if for grandpa and Aunt Ellie to communicate the Hummingbirds have arrived, oh lovely! :D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 12:36PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Net Neutrality ends and now local servers are magnitudes more important
December 14, 2017 04:49PM
Quite frankly I know my ISP throttles bandwidth and blocks content all the time which has caused me to use VPN's fairly often with better results so I don't think it was very effective anyways.

What scares me is certain big ISP's buying others and the protected monopoly status they have been enjoying and becoming even more blatant because who else you going to switch too? Nobody! I have never seen the ability to pick one provider over another anyplace I have ever lived.
Sure there may be other ISP's in the same town but there is no overlap in service areas and lets face it satellite sucks, it's been my only option in the past and the only difference from dialup was no modem connection sound.

The only way any of this is going to get better is for utility easements to be open to competitors (look up google's fights to use others poles for broadband) and open service areas to competition and stop this protected status they receive. Bottom line comes down to if a house has power from a grid there is no reason a provider can't use the same poles to provide broadband to that house.

Times have changed and the internet to me is is like a basic human right and everyone should have affordable access to atleast 10mb/s dl speeds even in the most rural of areas.
I say this not in everyone should be able to have netflix but more in the educational benefits that the internet provides. Just because comcast, time warner or who ever may not want to run lines to that rural house does not mean another local company or another bigger company won't and they should not be blocked by anyone from doing so as long as they put up the fees for their permits, etc like everyone else.
December 15, 2017 12:22AM

Times have changed and the internet to me is is like a basic human right.

Right on bro :)

And the link below is for people who need cold hard facts.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/with-fcc-net-neutrality-ruling-the-u-s-could-lose-its-lead-in-online-consumer-protection/

Pai’s proposal has been criticized by former FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler as “a shameful sham and sellout” to big telecommunications companies. A who’s-who list of the people who invented the technologies and systems underlying the internet denounced Pai’s policy as “based on a flawed and factually inaccurate understanding of internet technology.”

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 12:24AM by bodhi.
December 15, 2017 12:32AM
Because of the monopoly power of these US telcom corporations and their servants in US Congress ;) I'm stuck with a single ISP in my locale. The throttling: usually it take me hours to upload some files such as 500MB rootfs.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 15, 2017 02:32AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because of the monopoly power of these US telcom
> corporations and their servants in US Congress ;)
> I'm stuck with a single ISP in my locale. The
> throttling: usually it take me hours to upload
> some files such as 500MB rootfs.

And this comes right after most land lines have switched to IP phones (not me, even with 750k download speed and high price), 3D is almost everywhere and that means big bandwidth, on and on really. Last I checked AT&T had the biggest campaign contributions to Congress and Charter has a rate-jacking scheme that makes user's bills $250 a month after a year goes by @ $29.99 x 3 services, so angry customers say. On the same day Disney bought most of Fox for $52,000,000,000.00!

Oh, and to add to that, Windows 8-10 and Android etc are basically spy devices anyway. Maybe they need more bandwidth for Alexa and Google Home? I'm not usually a conspiracy nut, and Stephen Colbert had an extra funny monologue tonight about Alex Jones, if anyone saw it. It could also be controls preparing for World War III. Want a great read, look up: War Is A Racket, by Major General Smedley Butler, 1935. It predicts WWII to a "T" and it was haunting when I read it again today. It's a long web page, a quick read.

Rant over, sorry but thanks for letting me vent :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 02:33AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
December 15, 2017 04:54AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
>Want a great read, look up: War Is A Racket,
> by Major General Smedley Butler, 1935.
>
The numbers quoted are astounding for even today and that was a hundred years ago that he was referencing. This business model has moved on from just "war time" practices to nearly every company today.
I wholly believe in making a profit but there should be governmental limits to allowing these coercive monopolies. Coercive monopolies need to be restricted in function to a cost plus 10% or something close or remove them completely and allow true competition for services.
Look at the post office for example. They are a coercive monopoly and need to seek approval for rate increases and are protected from competition from dhl, fedex, ups, etc from delivery of normal mail services but are still held in check for exorbitant fees. Local water, sewer and power are other examples of such. Internet and cable tv providers are basically coercive monopolies but have been able to bypass restrictions which would limit what they are able to charge for a service while still operating with the competition protections.
December 15, 2017 06:59AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> LOL Nodes like feas (I think) showed us if something a little easier to make for a simple neighborhood server like Habibie showed is (I can't compile, I don't think I can).
>
Joey, there is no need for any compilation with PunBB that uses PHP scripts. All you need is to download to the HDD of your server and add a web server space. In my case, I reserved the web server space with a different port other than the default port 80. If you had a multiple public IP Address on your server, then you can also configure it with a different public IP Address on a default port 80.
December 15, 2017 09:25AM
habibie Wrote:
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > LOL Nodes like feas (I think) showed us if
> something a little easier to make for a simple
> neighborhood server like Habibie showed is (I
> can't compile, I don't think I can).
> >
> Joey, there is no need for any compilation with
> PunBB that
> uses PHP scripts. All you need is to download to
> the HDD of your server and add a web server space.
> In my case, I reserved the web server space with a
> different port other than the default port 80. If
> you had a multiple public IP Address on your
> server, then you can also configure it with a
> different public IP Address on a default port 80.

You are way off topic here.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 16, 2017 07:30AM
Bodhi, Sorry about that.
December 16, 2017 11:29AM
habibie Wrote:
> Bodhi, Sorry about that.

Me too.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 16, 2017 11:38AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> > Bodhi, Sorry about that.
>
> Me too.

Joey :) you are the OP so whatever you say is on topic is fine with me :) I thought the topic is Net Neutrality.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 16, 2017 01:51PM
bodhi Wrote:
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> > habibie Wrote:
> >
> > > Bodhi, Sorry about that.
> >
> > Me too.
>
> Joey :) you are the OP so whatever you say is on
> topic is fine with me :) I thought the topic is
> Net Neutrality.

Bless your heart man - I'm okay with topics turning into a mind map :-). In fact I wasn't sure what part of the topic was off LOL
It's a time of year the brain has things to process and so does the heart. We'll all get through this!
So if I'm OP, then say whatever you'd like :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 16, 2017 10:11PM
bodhi Wrote:
> You are way off topic here.
>
Bodhi,

Let's do some cleaning here. Can you please remove my off-topic post and perhaps as well others (including this post) so it will stay on topic? Sorry for all this.
December 17, 2017 12:06PM
habibie Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> > You are way off topic here.
> >
> Bodhi,
>
> Let's do some cleaning here. Can you please remove
> my off-topic post and perhaps as well others
> (including this post) so it will stay on topic?
> Sorry for all this.

Habbie my apologies because I'm the worst at going off-topic on a tangent. I've gotten better at discerning whether a topic is permanent or disposable.

If a topic is about a flash sale at Fry's or Best Buy, we know those won't last long, so those are the ones I'm not as self-conscious worrying if it will ruin an otherwise good topic over time. So if I'm going to mind map some seed of a thought through fruition that's an opportune place, me thinks. The topic we're on now is sort of half and half. I'm really grateful to see the good sales and neat little boxes you bring me aware of Habibie and others.

And there's great deals on SanDisk Ultras at Best Buy as of this morning :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 17, 2017 09:20PM
Hey all :)

Be it may. Whatever we feel like posting is great. I was just trying to steer it back to Net Neutrality because it is quite an interesting subject. But the OP decides where the thread goes :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.