Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The ways of downloading from Github?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
The ways of downloading from Github?
February 05, 2018 11:56PM
This is halfway off topic. Has to do with one of my pet projects. That is, getting a basic recording studio in every one's computer free of charge, or at worst the price of the host, and due to technical progress I like REAPER.

So I evaluate a lot of sound libraries, and in some cases take a free sampled piano and clean it up, change the wave files to FLAC, and utilitarian things like that. Or convert some screwy format to SFZ, which is a universal format of the file that has the mapping information and all that.
So I come across this library which is hosted on Github:

https://github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE/tree/SFZ

The instructions to get this say: "To download the library in this format, go to the Github, then click "Clone or download", then click "Download as .zip". course I try from a Windows machine and get 8MB into the 2-ish GB download and it says 100% finished and it isn't. I look back at Github and see now where it mentions SSH and HTTP.

So what's the strategy you'd use to get this?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: The ways of downloading from Github?
February 06, 2018 12:01AM
Joey,

On a Linux box, you would clone the git to a folder using command line.

On a Windows box, you can also use Git (but probably too much works to get to that point), so you can download the zip file directly from the web page, it should work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 06, 2018 07:42AM
@Joey

+1 for what @bidhi said. Download using this link https://github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE/archive/SFZ.zip
February 06, 2018 11:41AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Joey
>
> +1 for what @bidhi said. Download using this link
> https://github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE/archive/SFZ.zip

Thanks guys, the trouble I'm having is about resuming the download if it breaks. My downloader says "unknown" on resuming, and add that anomaly where it says it's complete 8Mb into it.

I was going to ask what app you'd use, but another strategy is to find a faster line and just hope it all comes in.
Maybe I can try an Armbian box later today though. Well what the heck, what downloader would you use if you were on a slow 750k line?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 06, 2018 12:02PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Thanks guys, the trouble I'm having is about resuming the download if it breaks.
>
If you use wget, use the --continue switch to resume the broken download. If you use curl, use the -C - switches to tell curl to automatically find out where/how to resume the transfer.
February 06, 2018 12:23PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> ..., and in some cases take a free sampled piano and clean it up, ...
>
TBH, I don't know how you do this. However, if you had a MIDI file, you probably can use any open-source music notation editors, i.e. NoteEdit, Muse Score, etc., to import and/or edit the MIDI file into a score editor and then export it to MIDI, Wave, etc. For years, I used to use NoteEdit to create piano sheets on my Linux desktop computer. Nowadays, I use Muse Score and it is my preference.
February 06, 2018 12:56PM
habibie Wrote:
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > ..., and in some cases take a free sampled piano
> and clean it up, ...
> >
> TBH, I don't know how you do this. However, if you
> had a MIDI file, you probably can use any
> open-source music notation editors, i.e.
> NoteEdit,
> Muse Score, etc.,
> to import and/or edit the MIDI file into a score
> editor and then export it to MIDI, Wave, etc. For
> years, I used to use
> NoteEdit
> to create piano sheets on my Linux desktop
> computer. Nowadays, I use
> Muse Score and it
> is my preference.

Yeah let's say the University of Iowa has sampled a piano and anyone can download it. There's usually a wave file for each key/pitch but usually multiple files that react light or strong depending on the velocity of how hard you're triggering it.
Despite the best of intentions, sometimes the people sampling an instrument have the situation to record (under a deadline) but not so much the expertise to trim them all perfectly. It might be a freeware Kontakt instrument and I can re-save it in a format that's universal. Sforzando is a freeware but no mention of Linux. However, once a sample set is in .SFZ format it can easily be converted to anything Linux should ask for.

But the MIDI looks to the SFZ (.sfz) keyfile to find the samples then. So a sample library might be a directory containing 140 wave files and one "piano.sfz". Drag the SFZ into your MIDI editor and sequence away, or play live.

I think my goal is simply a General MIDI library that sounds good. There are some out there,but I'd like one free, easy to setup. Even Sforzando requires a driver be installed and I'd jettison that in favor of a player that doesn't need a driver, but Sforzando is otherwise very stable.

FWIW, and I'm getting off topic but this is worth it, if anyone wants to know a fantastic sample format converter, Extreme Sample Converter. You can sample any VSTi in Windows up and down the spectrum in as many layers as you'd like, and save as a format playable in Linux.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 07, 2018 12:02AM
No, from browser it goes 2 minutes and then calls itself complete again.
I know most people have faster lines than me but with Github's nerdy (in a good way) reputation I'd have thought they would have a more reliable way to get stuff to you.

Unless someone has other ideas, I can wait and try a faster line next time I'm around the hospital and their wireless connection. Wearing a hoodie and mumbling something about downloading an orchestra LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 09:33AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 07, 2018 07:31AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> No, from browser it goes 2 minutes and then calls itself complete again.
>
Joe, I don't know what exactly you meant. If you meant the download timed out, Then, perhaps you can resume it through another git pull to continue update your local repository? You may have to do some git cleaning first (just don't remember how to do this ATM).
February 07, 2018 01:46PM
habibie Wrote:
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > No, from browser it goes 2 minutes and then
> calls itself complete again.
> >
> Joe, I don't know what exactly you meant. If you
> meant the download timed out, Then, perhaps you
> can resume it through another git pull to
> continue update your local repository? You may
> have to do some git cleaning first (just don't
> remember how to do this ATM).

No. Joey tried to download the zip file and it time out. Not using Git.

@Joey, perhaps it is your browser problem? try a different one?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 01:47PM by bodhi.
February 08, 2018 12:31AM
FWIW I was using Iron (Chrome source that's set to paranoid lol) but I was logged-in. So I'll try with Firefox as soon as possible. So that Desktop sync or copy (at this moment I can't reach the webpage), does that just clone those directories to my desktop? I could live with that too.

Yeah I don't understand the terminology of Github yet. If anyone's frustrated with me, I should have my brain back soon, but just know I'm not on any happy pills and haven't drank in 5 years, or any puff puff for a while. Probably why my brain is a bit off lately lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 08, 2018 09:35AM
February 17, 2018 09:12PM
Thank to you for the links, great software. While nothing I tried worked any better for Github, I think there's many things going on behind the scenes that affect quality and interruption.

Case in point: today I discovered a GMail account I made 10 years ago and never used. 1500 junk emails inbox, nothing in the outbox, no ins and no outs.

Check the attachment what I saw - says two other locations were there too. I don't know exactly what they mean by that. But in recent months it seems like the Government mass data collection is on again because service is intermittent - especially with GMail - connection intermittent unless you use Load as HTML which is insecure, etc.

I'm not paranoid because I know I'm not up to anything, but annoyed, dismayed maybe. I'll have to find an ultra fast connection around here and snag it before something goes haywire. Then I'll use the orchestra to play violins, an make sad music about it. lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - gmailtwootherlocations.jpg (51.2 KB)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.