Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

caution for USB 3.0 using Renesas chipset

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
caution for USB 3.0 using Renesas chipset
May 03, 2018 03:06PM
There's a somewhat hard lesson I learned about Renesas USB 3.0 but it's on the Windows side. I've installed two USB 3.0 PCIE cards in desktop computers, Renesas being a very inexpensive chipset brand. Performance is incredible, but there's an Achilles heel. If there's any sleep mode, the units are pulled offline and not accessible. I tried an entire day to update the firmware but that's not possible either. At revision 3 they've locked you out of going higher than v2x firmware.

I found a workaround, if you power the computer down, then turn off the power supply, and then hit the power button so it light's up a hair for 1/4 second, you know? Then it will startup and work fine. But any internal mention of a power event and it goes off line again. So if you're testing like the mini PCIE card like me and maybe bodhi bought and have bad results, this could be a reason why.

The more research I've done, the more I'm convinced Renesas is a chipset to stay away from. I hope that helps someone, and I hope I can hustle myself some better USB 3.0 cards, but might just be a lamer and wire a switch out to toggle electricity supplied to the card (when the machine is running) and use what I have.

Hope this helps someone on the Linux side or explains strange behavior.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 03:10PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: caution for USB 3.0 using Renesas chipset
May 05, 2018 05:25AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
but might just..... wire a switch out to toggle electricity supplied to the card (when the machine is running) and use what I have.
>

Lamer??? - NO WAY - thats a hacker :)))))
Re: caution for USB 3.0 using Renesas chipset
May 05, 2018 05:35AM
Joey,

> I found a workaround, if you power the computer
> down, then turn off the power supply, and then hit
> the power button so it light's up a hair for 1/4
> second, you know? Then it will startup and work
> fine. But any internal mention of a power event
> and it goes off line again. So if you're testing
> like the mini PCIE card like me and maybe bodhi
> bought and have bad results, this could be a
> reason why.

Cool find :) who could have thought of that. May be it was why the Pogo Pro box behaved badly with this mPCIe card.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.