Posted by bodhi 
Linux kernel COC (Code of Conduct)
September 17, 2018 09:29PM
https://lwn.net/Articles/764902/

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 05:29AM by bodhi.
Re: Fun Read about Linus taking a break :)
September 18, 2018 02:02PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://lwn.net/Articles/764902/

I have relatives from Finland and can say they have a distinct work ethic and their expectation of others is unknown until you're not up to their snuff. You'd probably get closer to communicating with Linus over coffee and nissu (slightly sweet bread) or taking a 3-day sauna than ever trying to read their mind, which is all gears and a couple clutches LOL

Finns build stuff to last, and don't mind re-purposing old bits.

Back in a bit :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 18, 2018 02:39PM
If you read the flame war in the comment section, very entertaining :))

The flame war is even more entertaining at Phoronix:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Code-of-Conduct

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 19, 2018 02:07AM
As far as I can follow (there's terminology I see I need brushing up on) one can sense the tension hasn't left the air.

Now as for me, I already got banned tonight for cutting through propaganda at our local TV station website very similar to (this is subjective oyu know) what I consider to be a toxic propagandized atmosphere modeled on Fox News New York. The conversation is highly charged and I feel I defend decency by making bumpersticker arguments that shut down hate speech; usually force the hater's hand. I've called myself a high quality troll in the past lol. My dream in life was to make ads for a certain political party that's considered vulnerable these days...

But if Linus is acting erratic, considering the world is a very dangerous place and he's a big fish, I wouldn't put it past evil entities out there to be screwing with him just for kicks. Maybe he needs to share a blunt with Elon Musk or something, but those guys are train wrecks lately.

Very cool :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 19, 2018 07:16AM
Read more to me that the Linux Foundation that pay his wages, have told him to play nice or they will fork the project and stop paying his wages..... have you seen who is on and runs the Linux Foundation.
September 19, 2018 07:18AM
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/board-members/

To quote there website...
"Linux is the premiere example of open source sustainability and success
The Linux Foundation provides a neutral home where Linux kernel development can be protected and supported for years to come.

Linux Foundation fellowships sponsor the work of Linux creator Linus Torvalds and lead maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman
Linux Foundation IT operations run the systems behind Linux kernel development on kernel.org
Linux Foundation Training offers free and paid training courses and Linux certifications
Linux Foundation Events organize gatherings where kernel developers can collaborate"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 07:23AM by Gravelrash.
September 19, 2018 03:55PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> Read more to me that the Linux Foundation that pay
> his wages, have told him to play nice or they will
> fork the project and stop paying his wages.....
> have you seen who is on and runs the Linux
> Foundation.

I hope that's not what really happened.

I think it is hard to threaten Linus with any kind of optimatum like that. I'm sure there are many organizations would be willing to pay more to have the prestige of being the main supporter of Linux.

Sometime a life changing event would cause a person to step outside his own self and examine the good, bad, and ugly about his life and do something about it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 21, 2018 04:51AM
This is an over-the-top article. I smell something not rigth is going happen to Linux. Perhaps Gravelrash was right :)

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/after-years-of-abusive-e-mails-the-creator-of-linux-steps-aside

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 23, 2018 01:13AM
What are the chances one of those powerful interests at the roundtable want to blackmail Linus for one little backdoor?
I can't imagine it not happening.

* slightly off-topic tangent but if the world is here in 100 years can you imagine Artificial Intelligence crafting kernels and how they might look? If kernels are even relevant- probably a hybrid biological because of efficiency. People with body tattoos to generate all the electricity they need for their implanted electronics. But the sun won't shine, so there's the Twilight Zone hook LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 24, 2018 11:07AM
I personally find linus' style to be refreshing and honest. Its his project. Better that way than the falsety of a corporate shark smile.
September 24, 2018 01:56PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> I personally find linus' style to be refreshing
> and honest. Its his project. Better that way than
> the falsety of a corporate shark smile.

+1. I'll take that honesty over the BS any day.

OTOH, the problem with remote communication is that you can't see people's face so it's hard to tell if the person is really angry or being sarcastic. He could tone down a bit sometime :) I think in the some recent exchange that I can recall about systemd he had it just about right.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 28, 2018 02:09AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45664640

"Because I may have my reservations about excessive political correctness, but honestly, I absolutely do not want to be seen as being in the same camp as the low-life scum on the internet that think it's OK to be a white nationalist Nazi, and have some truly nasty misogynistic, homophobic or transphobic behaviour. And those people were complaining about too much political correctness too, and in the process just making my public stance look bad.
"And don't get me wrong, please - I'm not making excuses for some of my own rather strong language. But I do claim that it never ever was any of that kind of nastiness. I got upset with bad code, and people who made excuses for it, and used some pretty strong language in the process. Not good behaviour, but not the racist/etc claptrap some people spout.

"So in the end, my 'I really don't want to be too PC' stance simply became untenable. Partly because you definitely can find some emails from me that were simply completely unacceptable, and I need to fix that going forward. But to a large degree also because I don't want to be associated with a lot of the people who complain about excessive political correctness.

I think he is absolutely right and honest.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 28, 2018 02:44AM
+1
>
> I think he is absolutely right and honest.
October 22, 2018 04:26AM
Skimming through the comments at Phoronix (my curiousity sometimes is detrimental to my health :)).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-CoC-Greg-KH-Revised

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 03, 2018 05:29AM
What?

No more profanity in kenel code? What's the world coming too? :)))))

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Hugs

ROTFL, quoting Michael

Some of the revised code comments now include "IOC3 is hugging hugged beyond belief", "Only Sun can take such nice parts and hug up the programming interface like this. Good job guys...", "Hugging broken ABI", "avoid hugging up the memory controller (somehow)", and "Hug, we are miserable poor guys..."

Funniest comment in the comment section :))

You motherhugger

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 05:39AM by bodhi.
December 03, 2018 06:02AM
BTW, that patch has been rejected.

Linux COC
"Content that already exists predating the Code of Conduct will not be addressed now as a violation"

Man! I feel old reading that flame war :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 06:06AM by bodhi.
December 03, 2018 06:23AM
?? OLD ??
Even Joey is a sprightly youngster compared to some :)
December 03, 2018 02:06PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> ?? OLD ??
> Even Joey is a sprightly youngster compared to
> some :)

Remember you're always young if you look to the future, and old if you look to the past!

I realized that in the past, so I'm still f*ck*d!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 03, 2018 04:59PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Gravelrash Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > ?? OLD ??
> > Even Joey is a sprightly youngster compared to
> > some :)
>
> Remember you're always young if you look to the
> future, and old if you look to the past!
>
> I realized that in the past, so I'm still f*ck*d!

:))

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.