Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Refurbished Sony PlayStation 2 Slim under US $30

Posted by habibie 
Refurbished Sony PlayStation 2 Slim under US $30
October 10, 2018 10:40PM
GameStop is offering a Sony PlayStation 2 Slim System (GameStop Premium Refurbished) under US $30 and a Sony PlayStation 2 non-slim System (GameStop Premium Refurbished) under US$20 (currently out of stock). I don't know if you can do anything with them, but perhaps this How to install Linux on the Playstation 2 will sway your vote in getting a Sony PlayStation 2 Slim System. ;)
Re: Refurbished Sony PlayStation 2 Slim under US $30
October 10, 2018 11:18PM
COOL. but hardware seems too weak

What CPU does the PS2 use?

The PS2 uses a single core "Emotion Engine" CPU, clocked at 295MHz in the original fat models, and 299MHz in newer slim models. The Emotion Engine is a 64-bit MIPS Little Endian CPU, with support for 128-bit addresses.

How much RAM does the PS2 have?

It has 32MB RDRAM and 4MB of eDRAM.

it might be interesting , but would take much time to learn it and much time on debug.......so still intent to the simple and lazy solution: orange pi or raspberry pi :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 11:18PM by asterix.
October 10, 2018 11:43PM
Yes, this is too underpowered, not worth thinking about running Linux :)

The PS2 uses a single core "Emotion Engine" CPU, clocked at 295MHz in the original fat models, and 299MHz in newer slim models. The Emotion Engine is a 64-bit MIPS Little Endian CPU, with support for 128-bit addresses.

How much RAM does the PS2 have?

It has 32MB RDRAM and 4MB of eDRAM.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 11, 2018 07:51AM
asterix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COOL. but hardware seems too weak
>
Exactly. Also, it ONLY comes with a 10 Mbps RJ45 port!!!!!
October 14, 2018 02:00PM
Yeah, but they do play PS1 and PS2 games :)

I'm using my Slim with a FreeMCBoot memory card and loading/playing games off an external HDD connected to a PogoPlug running an SMB share. It's a pretty cool setup to be able to play old PS2 games without ever changing out a disc. The FAT models can do all this off an internal hard drive.
October 16, 2018 03:55AM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, but they do play PS1 and PS2 games :)
>
> I'm using my Slim with a FreeMCBoot memory card
> and loading/playing games off an external HDD
> connected to a PogoPlug running an SMB share. It's
> a pretty cool setup to be able to play old PS2
> games without ever changing out a disc. The FAT
> models can do all this off an internal hard drive.

Now that would make a fantastic HOWTO!! From start to finish.
October 16, 2018 05:29PM
Close enough? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Pzp5Q3Ov4

He uses OpenMediaVault on a Raspberry Pi, but only to get a GUI to create the Samba shares. If you're already on Debian or running Optware or Entware you can accomplish this pretty fast. Let me know if you have questions.
October 17, 2018 03:19AM
im thinking more how you mount the shares via the slim and play then play the games.

i recently came into the posession of 2 unmodified PS2. one Phat and one Slim. so i for one would benefit
October 17, 2018 06:43AM
There are more challenging ways, which involve buying discs and swapping to trick the PS2 into giving you access to the system, but the end goal is to get FreeMCboot on a memory card. I just bought one for $10 from a Reddit user on r/ps2. Check the sidebar on Reddit for all the guides you need if you take the manual approach or once you have a card.
Quote:
Or, skip softmodding it yourself altogether. Buy a memory card with a complimentary installation of FreeMcBoot v1.95 for $10 US! PM /u/withdeer to order yours today!
/Quote:
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.