Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slim Portable USB 2.0 External DVD Drive CD-RW Burner US $10.99

Posted by habibie 
Slim Portable USB 2.0 External DVD Drive CD-RW Burner US $10.99
December 05, 2018 06:56AM
Last year, I bought a combo external DVD/CD burner from NewEGG (Asus brand) under US $12 (after a rebate) and it works as described. Although I have not tested to burn any DVD/CD media using this device on any Linux embedded system, I have been occasionally using it on a Linux desktop computer to burn DVD/CD media sans a problem.

Now and until 12/20/18, TMart has this Slim Portable USB 2.0 External DVD Drive CD-RW Burner US $10.99 + Free S/H to eligible regions. It sounded like a great offer for those who want to use it on any Linux embedded devices to burn a CD media. See below why I left out to burn a DVD media.

From the title it clearly indicates this is a CD-RW burner. Under its description, its 1st sentence (It would be more efficient and economical to buy an external drive and keep the external drive in hand to read and burn the DVDs or CDs.) makes it sounded like it is a DVD/CD RW burner.

However, there is no specific mentions of such an item is capable of a DVD burner, except one recent (Aug 8 2017) review (Karel with a 5* rating) says DVD Burner and another old (dated on Jun 22 2014) review (by Bram) says DVD Recorder extern. OTOH, one buyer (Garry on May 18 2015) who gives a 3* rating says Not as described. Looks like some mix reviews to me.

If you (had bought this item and) found out it is capable of burning a DVD media, I sure would appreciate your feedback here. AFAICT, the price is not bad at all.
Re: Slim Portable USB 2.0 External DVD Drive CD-RW Burner US $10.99
December 05, 2018 07:34AM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Although I have not tested to burn any DVD/CD media using this device on any Linux embedded system, I have been occasionally using it on a Linux desktop computer to burn DVD/CD media sans a problem.

I have used similar devices on embedded system devices using a caddy to convert ones salvaged from laptops and they work quite well.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.