Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Designing a Mother's Day computer?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Designing a Mother's Day computer?
May 12, 2019 01:01PM
The thought occurred to me, my mom is entirely computer illiterate, wants the most basic of computer functions like look up recipes and simple searches like "is Crystal Gayle Loretta Lynn's sister or daughter?" (LOL), and check online ban statements.
No Facebook or Twitter or any of this newfangled whatchamajiggy.

At this point only Linux makes sense for a lot of reasons. One, the cray low CPU consumption of ARM devices. I don't think I could turn Debian into a jitterbug though (a Jitterbug is a cellphone designed to be as simple as possible). OPut a spare monitor of mine at her kitchen table window with a picture of what it used to look like outside before the monitor was in the way. which gives me an idea for day and night time pictures...

If Mint could work on ARM I'd be halfway there.

But if anyone's bored or has people in their lives who want the best of both worlds, please don't be shy with your ideas or thoughts. Holy mother of Joey will surely be pleased :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Designing a Mother's Day computer?
May 12, 2019 09:25PM
Hello Joey,

I would look for an Android TV Box + a 40" 4K LED TV. For performance with a budget, I would get an octa-core S912 system with 4/16 GB RAM/eMMC storage. You may be able to get by with a2 GB RAM using LUbuntu. Head out to eBay and start looking for inexpensive S912 Android TV Box with at least 2/16 GB RAM/eMMC storage.

Recently, I bought a Sunveil T95Z+ Android TV Box with 2/16 GB RAM/eMMC storage US $19.99 + Free S/H. Because it has a defect on its A/V port (no video), the seller gave me a 50% discount and I ended up paying this item US $9.99. Right now, this device runs on CoreELEC. I am hoping to configure it to run LUbuntu in the future, but don't know how to do it, yet.

BTW, even thought I just placed an order for this 2+16GB T95Z Plus Android 7.1 Amlogic S912 US $12.88 + free S/H, I have a hunch it is a scam.
May 12, 2019 09:31PM
BTW, this 2+16GB T95Z Plus Android 7.1 Amlogic S912 US $8.66 + US $4.99 S/H = US $13.65 sounded like a scam, too. However, it has been around 3+ weeks and hasn't been pulled by eBay. The recent I did not bother to place an order is the hefty S/H cost (more than 1/2 the price of the item).
May 12, 2019 10:49PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, this
> 2+16GB
> T95Z Plus Android 7.1 Amlogic S912
US $8.66
> + US $4.99 S/H = US $13.65 sounded like a scam,
> too. However, it has been around 3+ weeks and
> hasn't been pulled by eBay. The recent I did not
> bother to place an order is the hefty S/H cost
> (more than 1/2 the price of the item).

A TV box could go straight to her decent TV, but any new TV box would have to have the remote control code to allow DISH r's remote control to switch to it. Right there I'm off and running if that code is around.
And as you can all see, some things I rush into and some it's an orbit I put together the next orbit. And right now and just brainstorming and love all your thoughts and suggestions- nothing's wrong, and you know how it is with moms, nothing's right either LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 13, 2019 02:25AM
Joey,

> A TV box could go straight to her decent TV, but
> any new TV box would have to have the remote
> control code to allow DISH r's remote control to
> switch to it. Right there I'm off and running if
> that code is around.

Harmony Remote. I hate to advertise for that company, but I'd give it to them here. It has virtually all codes for TV/Sattelite/Cable boxes that exists.

And the universal remote like that has a very high WAF or MAF rating :)

I'm far away from the period where I was really into HTPC and have learned all I could. Even though Harmony remote is overprice, but you can get it used on eBay. I have one that I never updated once I set it up many years ago. I think when my HTPC rig goes belly up, I'll have to think about traveling light again (just stream everything I want to watch) :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 14, 2019 01:39PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> > A TV box could go straight to her decent TV,
> but
> > any new TV box would have to have the remote
> > control code to allow DISH r's remote control
> to
> > switch to it. Right there I'm off and running
> if
> > that code is around.
>
> Harmony Remote. I hate to advertise for that
> company, but I'd give it to them here. It has
> virtually all codes for TV/Sattelite/Cable boxes
> that exists.
>
> And the universal remote like that has a very high
> WAF or MAF rating :)
>
> I'm far away from the period where I was really
> into HTPC and have learned all I could. Even
> though Harmony remote is overprice, but you can
> get it used on eBay. I have one that I never
> updated once I set it up many years ago. I think
> when my HTPC rig goes belly up, I'll have to think
> about traveling light again (just stream
> everything I want to watch) :)

You got me thinking, after I checked the price on all things Harmony Remote, which is from reasonable to unreasonable.... First thought, that she could get a 40" smart TV with extended warranty for less than the cost of a new, jazzed-up Harmony...

But then I had the Aha! moment: I wonder how hard it is to make your own remote out of a smart phone or tablet? I suppose it would need to have an IR element. Not sure if my two Guinea-pig devices have it.

If you knew the IR sequence that hits the TV/Satellite/cable or other devices that wouldn't seem too difficult. In theory everything is easy though.

-update- Touchsquid? Anyone here use that?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 05:57PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
May 14, 2019 06:47PM
Joey,

>
> But then I had the Aha! moment: I wonder how hard
> it is to make your own remote out of a smart phone
> or tablet? I suppose it would need to have an IR
> element. Not sure if my two Guinea-pig devices
> have it.

It's been done. iPhone has IR gadget, controlled by an app. Not sure if it is available on Android.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 16, 2019 07:50AM
bodhi Wrote:
> It's been done. iPhone has IR gadget, controlled
> by an app. Not sure if it is available on Android.

Android has the ability via apps on the PlayStore, however if the phone you intend to use has IR capability may be another altogether consideration.

>
>If Mint could work on ARM I'd be halfway there.
>

for the mint look and feel insall Mate desktop and the Redmond theme
https://www.google.com/search?q=mate+redmond+theme&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB744GB744&oq=mate+redmond&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j0l4.4621j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.