Advanced

finally pi 4 unveiled!

Posted by asterix 
finally pi 4 unveiled!
June 25, 2019 04:00PM
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Specifications
Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet
2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
2-lane MIPI DSI display port
2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
* A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.
Re: finally pi 4 unveiled!
June 25, 2019 04:06PM
real full through gigabyte network, 2 USB 3.0 port, much suitable to DIY a NAS.

pi 4 also provides a1gb, 2gb , 4gb version., 1GB memory version doesn't perform well if running as desktop
June 25, 2019 05:28PM
Impressive. For $80 you would have a fully equpiped Home NAS with USB 3.0 (no SATA though).

I thought somewhere it said the Ethernet PHY is separated from USB bus, too. If it is true, then it is real Gbit.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 25, 2019 05:31PM
Here it is:
http://linuxgizmos.com/quad-a72-raspberry-pi-4-finally-gets-its-ram/

The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B adds a native PCIe Gen2 based Gigabit Ethernet port for 1000Mbps performance compared to a high of 300Mbps on the Model 3B+’s USB 2.0-driven GbE port. The dual-band 802.11ac WiFi is the same as introduced on the 3B+, but Bluetooth has improved to version 5.0.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 25, 2019 06:03PM
See you all Black Friday :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
June 26, 2019 07:39AM
It beats an Orange Pi One+ that comes with 1 GB RAM and no USB3 port. But, it is far beyond my budget, unfortunately.

BTW, I don't know how a Chinese made 4-core Allwinner H6 CPU compared to the Broadcom CPU. However, it is used by the OrangePi 1+ (1GB RAM version), except it does NOT support USB3 (so no good as a NAS).

OT: I have been looking around for this inexpensive Chinese made 4-core Allwinner H6 Android TV Box, i.e. New 6K Q plus 4+64GB Android 9.0 Pie Quad Core Smart TV Box WIFI 3D H.265 Media, to run Linux OS a Linux desktop computer with a 40" 4K TV. The only drawback is it only supports a 10/100 Mbps LAN connection (Amazon, Geek Buying, and TVBox Manufacturer). Otherwise, it will be a great hardware to invest and use it as a NAS, too.
June 26, 2019 09:01AM
1GB version was available in micro center a few days ago. 2/4 GB will be available on 06/28.
June 26, 2019 07:58PM
My local Microcenter already had 8 units of Rpi4 Model B with 2GB RAM in stock.
June 27, 2019 08:04PM
Now 4GB version available in MicroCenter!
June 28, 2019 12:45AM
Hey you guys, is it possible to connect two together through the GPIO pins and end up with an 8-core @ 8GB RAM?
You could make one ridiculously powerful hand held recording studio if that's possible. If it ran REAPER, 1.5 gHz x 4 cores should be well enough for processing most audio with low latency and any audio offline, but another unit would deal with (in my mind) all the IO stuff that usually infringes on the mix engine like audio and MIDI over LAN and pitch to midi, just anything that can take the load off of what is a somewhat unassuming clock speed.

And while we're at it, if these units could be stacked somehow then probably any Pi with GPIO could me mated?
Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, but it sparked my imagination.

Thanks and sorry, whichever is applicable :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 12:49AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
June 28, 2019 05:06AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey you guys, is it possible to connect two
> together through the GPIO pins and end up with an
> 8-core @ 8GB RAM?

No it isnt.... however it is possible to cluster them together and acheive similar performance to what you describe - assuming the applications have been coded to run in such an environment and are "cluster aware".... with high end audio apps like you describe, i think they would be
June 28, 2019 06:14AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Hey you guys, is it possible to connect two together through the GPIO pins and end up with an 8-core @ 8GB RAM?
>
> No it isnt.... however it is possible to cluster them together and acheive similar performance to what you describe - assuming the applications have been coded to run in such an environment and are "cluster aware".... with high end audio apps like you describe, i think they would be
>
Yes and this can also be done through an MPI (Message Passing Interface) programming.
June 28, 2019 04:31PM
> No it isnt.... however it is possible to cluster
> them together and acheive similar performance to
> what you describe - assuming the applications have
> been coded to run in such an environment and are
> "cluster aware".... with high end audio apps like
> you describe, i think they would be

This.

At the moment, Linux system can not be strung togother by low level hardware bus. So basically, both boxes must be running independently and communicating through Ethernet.

It depends on the application that was developed specifically to run in a cluster and parcel out the works.

One simple example is distributed compiler (distcc). I am running about a mix of 7 to 12 Armada and Kirkwood plugs farm to build the kernel. One node is the main node (client), the rest are servers. The main node distcc parcels out compilation jobs to other distcc in the severs in the farm. When each server finishes the compilation for a file, it sends back the object code to the main node.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.