Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uninterruptible power supplies for smaller devices?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Uninterruptible power supplies for smaller devices?
August 19, 2019 06:43PM
After 15 years of monthly AT&T bill ending up at $107 including 756Kbps internet connection.... (deep breath) they had a lower cost plan that's 5Mbps connection and includes a modem any standard phone plugs into for $72-Mo for a year until it goes up $10. The router is an Arris BGW210-700

So I thought to ask, if there is such thing as an uninterruptible power supply that goes between the wal wart and the router so that if the power goes out a smaller device could output I think 12 volts instead of those large units that probably cost more, but I don't know.

Then again, if the power goes out I don't think the power consumption would be high at all, and 10 minutes of phone and 10 minutes of internet should get me through most power outages.

Thanks for your consideration, brainstorm, comment :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Martin_1111
Re: Uninterruptible power supplies for smaller devices?
September 04, 2019 09:29AM
First of all check the output voltage of the Power Supply and maximum output current.
I have found this "howto" for 5 Volt (unfortunately in German)

https://www.stall.biz/project/usv-fuer-homematic-ccu2-und-raspberry-mit-wirkungsvollem-ueberspannungsschutz

And this module for 12 V (USV Gel Accu not included)
http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-100-12V-DC-micro-UPS-system-battery-backup-system

Providing power supply to your router during general power loss in your region is on the other hand only helpful, if your telephone & internet provider has also an uninterruptable power supply at the other end of your telephone line ...
September 13, 2019 11:54AM
Martin_1111 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot for that! The calculus has changed here for the time being because an upcoming move is imminent, but this is the kind of project I'll get on when I can. It's tempting to buy a big old, used UPS at a Thrift store but something about it bugs me and I can't put my finger on it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 15, 2019 12:52AM
Why buy a used UPS when bargains like the following are available for a new one where you won't have to worry about the condition of the batteries: https://www.microcenter.com/product/319826/cyberpower-systems-standby-series-550va-ups-with-greenpower-upstm,-and-rj11-protection. I just purchased 2 of these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 12:52AM by rayknight.
September 16, 2019 12:56AM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why buy a used UPS when bargains like the
> following are available for a new one where you
> won't have to worry about the condition of the
> batteries:
> https://www.microcenter.com/product/319826/cyberpower-systems-standby-series-550va-ups-with-greenpower-upstm,-and-rj11-protection.
> I just purchased 2 of these.

RIGHT ON! Thanks a lot Ray!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Martin_1111
September 16, 2019 08:57AM
There are several questions to answer prior to get the right solution

A 110V (or 230 V for e.g. Europe) AC UPS ist nice for devices, that have a direct AC power cable connector, or to supply a set of several different devices.

For protecting a single device supplied by a wall wart power supply it might be cheaper to use an emergency power supply without the capability to convert the battery power to 110 V AC .... Less converting loss, less effort on DIY Project for touch protection of leads of the UPS.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.