Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice for cheap pay-as-you-go cellphone internet?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Advice for cheap pay-as-you-go cellphone internet?
October 26, 2019 12:43PM
I've never had a cellphone and would prefer to get through life without one. If you can think of the downsides, that's why LOL

But, I have a move coming up and imagine there's a cheap way to get a low cost, even data-only plan to use a cellphone as a hot spot for home computers, it at least feed a router.

I actually still have that smartphone Habibie recommended for $10 on sale at Best Buy but i threw the Boost Mobile SIM card away, because we didn't have that service in this area anyway. But those I think require messy contracts fraught with pitfalls. It wasn't too long ago people were upgrading SIM cards for low price which gave them so many hours of Internet.

I may as well be a caveman you're replying to, but if worse comes to worse I'd hate to be totally offline and not able to access news and email.

Thanks for a starting point or any other revelation :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Advice for cheap pay-as-you-go cellphone internet?
October 26, 2019 11:41PM
4G GSM Hot spots can be purchased for ~$50 and up, no cell phone needed. You would then need to purchase a data SIM card. I have seen Amazon listing for Pay As You Go SIM Cards for $10, don't know how much time that gives however.

Example HotSpot
Example SIM Card
Re: Advice for cheap pay-as-you-go cellphone internet?
October 27, 2019 01:40AM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4G GSM Hot spots can be purchased for ~$50 and up,
> no cell phone needed. You would then need to
> purchase a data SIM card. I have seen Amazon
> listing for Pay As You Go SIM Cards for $10, don't
> know how much time that gives however.
>
> Example
> HotSpot

> Example
> SIM Card

SWEET! Thanks a lot! Great place to start figuring what's what.

Forgive my ignorance here, but how does the G system work? Like if we have 4G network up right now in my area, will a 3G device still hook up? This is only asked because I'd bought a 3G hotspot for like 25 cents and pretty sure I donated it back because I didn't understsnd it properly.

I'll still aim to get that device you showed, Ray. NetGear has mostly been rick solid.

* on the other hand, yes, I'd also be tempted if I'm low on cash and a SIM is all I need to WiFi bridge my router, but that wouldn't be as fun. A Hawei running Android 5 is asking for trouble me thinks.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.