Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo V4 netconsle

Posted by MIko 
MIko
Pogo V4 netconsle
October 26, 2016 06:52AM
Hi,

I tried to upgrade kernel to 4.8.3 in my pogoV4 but something went wrong (sd card) - blinking green led. I lost soldering iron and I cannot connect serial port via USB. I wanted to use netconsole.
When I type
 nc -l -u -p 6666 
connection is established (netstat), but in terminal where nc is running nothing happens.
When I try nc my firewall is disabled.
Any ideas how to enforce netconsole to show me something ;).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 02:58PM by bodhi.
Re: Pogo V4 netconsle
October 26, 2016 03:25PM
MIko,

You need to set up u-boot envs for netconsole. Step 10 in the u-boot installation thread:

10. Set up netconsole. It's important to set up neconsole if you don't already have serial console connected. If you've flashed the default environments in step 8 then activate netconsole with the following envs:

fw_setenv preboot_nc 'setenv nc_ready 0; for pingstat in 1 2 3 4 5; do; sleep 1; if run if_netconsole; then setenv nc_ready 1; fi; done; if test $nc_ready -eq 1; then run start_netconsole; fi'
fw_setenv preboot 'run preboot_nc'
fw_setenv ipaddr '192.168.0.xxx'
fw_setenv serverip '192.168.0.yyy'

where the 192.168.0.xxx is this plug IP address, and 192.168.0.yyy is the IP address of the netconsole server where it will monitor the output from the this plug (adjust them to the real values in your own local network settings).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Mlko
October 27, 2016 04:02AM
Hello Bodhi,

I did that before.:(
October 27, 2016 03:32PM
Mlko,

Netconsole is tricky. Tell me how do you connect. Which OS is running on the netconsole server? is the Pogo V4 connected directly to the router, or is it connected to another switch,.... things like kike that make a big difference.

Try using this format (where 192.168.0.xxx is the Pogo V4 ipaddr):

nc -lup 6666 192.168.0.xxx  6666

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
MIko
October 28, 2016 04:15AM
Hello Bodhi,
NC still doesn't show anything (IP server - debian, pogo is connected directly to the router)
but... :)
I have done
 cp -a uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment /boot/uEnv.txt
and changed arcNumber to 3960 and machid to F78 and dtb_file= to /boot/dts/kirkwood-pogoplug_v4.dtb
and pogo works again with debian :)
regards
October 28, 2016 02:15PM
MIko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Bodhi,
> NC still doesn't show anything (IP server -
> debian, pogo is connected directly to the router)
> but... :)
> I have done
 cp -a
> uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment
> /boot/uEnv.txt
> and changed arcNumber to 3960 and machid to F78
> and dtb_file= to
> /boot/dts/kirkwood-pogoplug_v4.dtb
> and pogo works again with debian :)
> regards

Cool! so the problem was with u-boot envs.

You need to save the envs, or reflash the default envs image, to make it permanent, and then set up netconsole. As I mentioned, netconsole works, but the setup is tricky, especially if you run netconsole server from a laptop.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.