Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which uBoot best to use for E02?

Posted by nwestfal 
Which uBoot best to use for E02?
October 10, 2014 04:44PM
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I have a new pink E02 that I'm looking to install Arch (or possibly Debian) on. I already have one running Arch (see my experience with it here).

I was wondering what are the advantages of using Bodhi's (or other) uBoot over the Alarm mainline uBoot? Does any uBoot allow booting to stock Pogo OS anymore? (I know Jeff previously had a method for doing this)

Any other advantages to using alternate uBoot in lieu of Alarm uBoot?

thanks,
Neal
Re: Which uBoot best to use for E02?
October 10, 2014 06:37PM
Neal,

Almost the same. The difference is not very much. The advantage with using my u-boot image: I've added a few more little features that are not in the mainline, and doing so regularly. Of course, this could also a disadvantage to some (not using mainline).

Regarding booting stock Pogo OS. To boot Pogo OS, the old u-boot image needs to be chained load. It's not a sure thing to chainload u-boot successfully, due to the differences in old and new code, sizes of data areas,… However, the original u-boot for the Pogo E02 seems to be coded in such a way that chainloading back to it might work.

The Pogo E02 does not have UART booting. So that's out of the picture. But if it is the same release version (e.g. 2014.07) then chainloading my u-boot image from ALARM u-boot image might work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2014 07:26PM by bodhi.
October 13, 2014 05:06PM
Thanks bodhi.

Specifically I was referring to the method outlined here:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,210,214

But that thread is 4 years old and I was just wondering if it was possible to do something like that with a newer uboot.

Mind you I don't have any great need to boot stock pogo OS. I just thought it would be handy to do just in case. I've got the pogo software running on Arch on the device I setup previously.
October 14, 2014 12:13AM
@Neal,

> Specifically I was referring to the method
> outlined here:
>
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,210,214
>
> But that thread is 4 years old and I was just
> wondering if it was possible to do something like
> that with a newer uboot.
>

You can try. As I mentioned, it might work due to the way stock Pogo E02 u-boot was built. But chainloading between other newer versions most likely won't work.

- dump the orginal u-boot
- installing new u-boot
- boot up, interrupt serial/net console
- use tftp or ext2load to load the image into memory
- run it

The only way to find out about this is actually running it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.