Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compiling uImage, .config explanations

Posted by helvethor 
Compiling uImage, .config explanations
April 14, 2016 03:09PM
Hi,

I have a WD My Cloud EX2 (NAS) which came with a dirty bloated firmware. I don't want that, so I managed to install a clean Debian firmware (meant for another board...) on the device but there is one problem: the kernel written on the NAND (uImage) is linux 3.2, but my Debian distribution only proposes 3.16 kernel, therefore I cannot install some software like iscsi-target-dkms...

My idea was to download u-boot sources and build a 3.16 uImage for my board. But I can't get a correct configuration! If I compile the downloaded source right away, it works, but as soon as I change the slightest setting through make menuconfig, the compilation aborts very soon.
I get things like that :

In file included from ./include/common.h:18:0:
include/config.h:5:22: fatal error: configs/.h: No such file or directory
#include <configs/.h>
^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.autoconf:75: recipe for target 'include/autoconf.mk' failed
make[1]: *** [include/autoconf.mk] Error 1
make: *** No rule to make target 'include/config/auto.conf', needed by 'include/config/uboot.release'. Stop.

Which I don't understand.
I have also tried to copy the config-3.16.0-4-armpp file found in /boot on my device to .config in my toolchain, but if I run make, then it drives me through the oldconfig like if there was no file...

I have also seen people doing things like make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=?????
But no one ever explains how they chose those settings, whatever I try, the Makefiles can't find some related file...

I am quite lost and can't find any general documentation not focused on any particular device...

Do you have any guide-lines, clarifications, suggestions, anything that could help me?

Sincerely,
Vincent

Edit :

Some informations about the device:

Device : WD My Cloud EX2
SoC : Marvell Armada 370
Board : RD 88F6710
Family : EBU

I found those on this page : https://www.kernel.org/doc/readme/Documentation-arm-Marvell-README
as well as in the datasheet linked in the corresponding section.

The toolchain I try to use :
http://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git/

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 04:25PM by helvethor.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.