Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

uBoot + GPT?

Posted by ozoned 
uBoot + GPT?
May 30, 2011 06:33AM
Hello,
how can i make uboot to recognize gtp partitions on hdd (for > 2gb hdd's)?
Hdd size is reprorted as 746GB (actual size is 3001GB) now, and i got this errors:

Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK Bus 1: not available
Device 0: Model: ST33000651AS Firm: CC43 Ser#: xxxxx
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 764436.4 MB = 746.5 GB (1565565872 x 512)
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 0:1 **
Loading file "/uInitrd" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 0:1 **
reading /boot/uImage

** Unable to read "/boot/uImage" from ide 0:1 **
reading /uInitrd

** Unable to read "/uInitrd" from ide 0:1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
No Powersaving mode 7F
Error (no IRQ) dev 1 blk 0: status 0x7f
** Can't read from device 1 **

** Unable to use ide 1:1 for fatload **
No Powersaving mode 7F
Error (no IRQ) dev 1 blk 0: status 0x7f
** Can't read from device 1 **

Thanks, Denis
Re: uBoot + GPT?
May 30, 2011 10:45PM
i thought the fake larger sector size allowed larger mbr partitions. u-boot seems to have gpt support, but it's not compiled in. maybe you can create a hybrid mbr/gpt if the disk is used in other machines. or maybe compile a new u-boot =\
May 31, 2011 07:12AM
Hi, neutronscott.
How can i create hybrid mrb/gpt?
Disk isn't user in other machines, but with mbr i can't create big partition.

Also i tried to make sector 2048 bytes, and get 750gb disk :)
June 07, 2011 11:41PM
ozoned
How can i create hybrid mrb/gpt?
Disk isn't user in other machines, but with mbr i
can't create big partition.

Sorry I should have followed the topic. Is this the 3TB GoFlex Home? Did it come formatted with GPT?

I imagine since the only limit here is u-boot, you would just want to create a /boot partition that is both in the MBR and GPT so that U-boot may load the kernel. I've never used a GPT disk. I found this page very informative though: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Simply I'd think it would be enough to include only the small /boot partition in the MBR, and only the entire rest of the disk in the GPT. Since once Linux starts it will give priority to the GPT.

'fdisk' will most likely only do MBR, and whatever have you for the GPT. The link I post before says sgdisk will do it all though.
JackDanielZ
March 15, 2012 02:58PM
Hi Ozoned,

I know that this issue is old but did you solve it? I have the same problem on the same hard disk and I tried with GPT but without success. For the moment, I can create only partitions until 2TB.

Thank you
Daniel
March 16, 2012 04:39PM
You need to use gdisk or GNU Parted to format disks larger than 2TB using a GPT/EFI partition table.

If your u-boot can't boot off a GPT partitioned disk, then you might want to take it up with whoever built it.

As far as I can see, GPT partition support was added to the u-boot code base in late 2008 so you'd think that it was stable by now!

Don't forget that you'll also need a kernel with EFI partition support built in.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.