Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crashplan on PogoPlug

Posted by kevinvinv 
Crashplan on PogoPlug
October 27, 2012 12:28AM
HI All, I am trying to get Crashplan to run on my pogoplug using the script mentioned on this site. Having some trouble with a few commands in the script... for one... when I run the make command... cc seems to error not knowing where some of the header files are. Is there something I need to add to some sort of path to get those suckers resolved?

Anyhow- thanks for the cool resources!

Also- is Dockstar the same as PogoPlug in this regard?
eas
Re: Crashplan on PogoPlug
November 01, 2012 01:32PM
Hmmm. I think you are probably using my crashplan script. I haven't updated it in a while.

From the point of view of installing crashplan on Debian, Dockstar and PogoPlug are the same.

Can you paste the output of the script commands here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 01:32PM by eas.
November 01, 2012 09:52PM
Oh, thanks for the reply! The problem I am having on Debian is with the compilation of the libjtux patch. I decided to switch to ARCH instead of Debian and use a libjtux.so that someone had pre-compiled and available for download. There the problem is getting the proper version of JAVA on ARCH to satisfy CrashPlan... sigh.

So I can't give you the script output at the moment b/c my pogo now is running ARCH...

Basically with your script though, the first problem was that the makefile asked for cc and cc simply wasn't available. When I apt-get gcc-- it didn't help much.

Do you still have this running on a pogo? Maybe If I just got a copy of your libjtux.so-- and didn't have to compile my own- I'd get it working.

Thanks again for your reply... hope you are still out there :)
November 02, 2012 12:41PM
Get me a copy of this script, and I will see what I can do.
eas
November 02, 2012 07:01PM
Not sure why it would be erroring out on you like that. The first non-comment, non hashbang line in my script installs a number of necessary debian packages, including 'build-essential', which installs gcc and other tools.

That said, I'm not surprised that it isn't robust. I don't think I've ever tested it on a clean system, and I don't know that more than a dozen people or so have actually run it.

WarheadsSE: My script is linked off this blog post - http://geekfun.com/2011/08/29/crashplan-install-script-for-arm-debian-on-pogoplugs-and-dockstars/

Let me know if you have any updates, or if you do a version for Arch that you'd like me to link to.
November 03, 2012 05:57PM
Thanks for the replies all! eas, good point about your first line installing the essentials. The makefile calls out cc and not gcc... do you think possibly the essentials now just include gcc? Anyhow, I have an interest in getting CrashPlan to somehow run on a pogo plug and will glady contribute in any way I can. I just don't yet understand the intricasies of the Java issues... so that is where I am stuck I guess.

The primary two problems are getting a version of Java that CP can work with... AND- getting the libjtux.so to compile properly.

BTW- should I be able to use a libjtux.so that was compiled on ARCH- on a Debian base?

Thanks all !!
November 05, 2012 09:07PM
I did not have time to look into the script today, but will hopefully in the coming days. Best option will be for me to translate this into a PKGBUILD.

p.s. : "Arch" not "ARCH"
November 05, 2012 09:14PM
Thanks for the correction on Arch. I'll be slowly trying to figure it out too... thanks for any help!
November 11, 2012 09:11PM
Looks like I have something running- on a Pogo with Arch. I had to jump through a number of hoops that I haven't seen documented anywhere yet so I dont know if things have changed or ?? Anyhow- If things keep working for a couple days- I'll document something and maybe try to script up as much of it as I can...
November 12, 2012 11:43AM
I still haven't had any time to get things sorted/tested for it at all. If/when you make the steps known, I'll see about making a PKGBUILD for it.
November 12, 2012 11:10PM
OK- so here is the magic recepie for me...

First I installed Arch Linux on my POGO-E02 as per directions here:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray

Then I got CrashPlan running by using these steps. Credit goes to many others for most of this. For some reason though, all the instructions I could find online still left me with problems... maybe things have changed over the years with new CP versions etc.

I got most of the info from this link but it wasn’t quite enough:
http://www.opticality.com/blog/2011/07/16/installing-crashplan-on-a-pogoplug-pro/

Also info from doozan and his debian info was useful

This is the procedure I am using as of now:

first we need to get the cpio package
pacman -Sy cpio

Next thing to do is download the latest CrashPlan-
cd /tmp
wget http://download.crashplan.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_3.4.1_Linux.tgz
tar -xzf *
cd CrashPlan-install
./install.sh

Select Y for “would you like to download Java…”
Enter /etc/rc.d for the question about SYSV init scripts

Now we download the Java that will actually be used (if you do this earlier, the install script will complain about an invalid version)
cd /tmp
pacman –Sy openjdk6

There seems to be a missing file in openjdk6 but it can be remedied by doing this:
ln -s /usr/lib/libffi.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib/libffi.so.5

Next we need to download a patched version of libjtux.so and stick it in the crashplan install directory
We get the proper file from this blog post: http://www.opticality.com/blog/2011/07/16/installing-crashplan-on-a-pogoplug-pro/

cd /usr/local/crashplan
mv libjtux.so libjtux.so.org
wget http://www.opticality.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/files/libjtux.so

finally we tell crashplan to look at the openjdk6 java and not the one it downloaded
nano install.vars
Change the line JAVACOMMON to this: JAVACOMMON=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/bin/java

Now you can start the crashplan engine and verify it is running
cd /usr/local/crashplan/bin
./CrashPlanEngine start
./CrashPlanEngine status

I welcome any of your comments / thoughts / concerns etc!!
May 12, 2013 07:29PM
Hi fellas,
It looks like the openjdk 6 is no longer in the repository and unable to be installed using pacman...
I have followed various instructions including this one to up til the openjdk 6 stage...
I've tried the JDK 8 sadly it doesn't support Armv5.
I have installed ejre7u21 from here followed by linking the libffi.so file and replacing the libjtux.so file according to these instructions.
Using this version of Java I'm able the get the CrashPlanEngine to start and able to connect to it from my Windows 7 computer, but after I adopted the new server, it just sits there "waiting for backup"
I suspect the version of java 7 that I have installed simply doesn't work with crashplan...
I have also tried running crashplan using ejre6u38 with the same result.

Can anyone help me get crashplan working on this pogoplug E02?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 11:31PM by stuckwi.
May 13, 2013 03:21PM
Is there an updated script for CP on Debian?
May 14, 2013 09:40AM
I got Crashplan running on my Pogoplug 2 running Debian wheezy using eas's script

I had to edit a few minor changes:
1. apt-get instead of aptitude (first line)
2. tar -xf jtux.tar instead of tar -zxf jtux.tar.gz (fourth line)
3. used newest crashplan build: http://download.crashplan.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_3.5.3_Linux.tgz

With these changes, the script worked, altough a lot of warnings were displayed in the build process. I have successfully connected the Crashplan UI from my Desktop PC to my Pogoplug and am currently setting up the backup. I only started today, so I can't say how reliable the whole thing is.
May 14, 2013 09:18PM
hi pogoomane,
can you confirm that this setup is actually working and backing up to CrashPlan Central?
May 15, 2013 03:20PM
I can confirm that my pogo E02 is still running CP and has successfully upgraded itself (during the last CP upgrade) for what that is worth.

I am using Arch and not Debian though. Seems to be working great. Not doing anything with CP central though... not sure how / why you would do that. I am just using my Pogo as a CP receptor.
May 15, 2013 08:09PM
Hi Kevininv,
thanks for chiming in here, you are running on openjdk6 though right?
openjdk6 is no longer available on Arch linux as a package for installation... Hence all the documented steps for Arch no longer works.
I'm hoping to get my newly acquired pogoplug to backup to crashplan despite not being able to install openjdk6.
I have tried ejre6 and ejre7 both gives me the same problem of crashplan stuck at waiting to backup...

I don't know if I understand you correctly, you use your Pogo as a "CP receptor", does that mean you are backing up to your Pogo or is your Pogo backing up to CP?
May 15, 2013 08:57PM
Yep. Openjdk6. So I guess I'll be cloning if I want o do this again!

I shipped the pogo to a friend and backup to it

I am not a cp central user. I'd like to understand how you want to backup your pogo to central? What sort of data is on your pogo that you want to backup ?
May 16, 2013 04:31AM
stuckwi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi pogoomane,
> can you confirm that this setup is actually working and backing up to CrashPlan Central?

Yes, it is - through reboots and everything.

kevinvinv Wrote:
> I am not a cp central user.
> I'd like to understand how you want to backup your pogo to central?
> What sort of data is on your pogo that you want to backup ?

You can use crashplan+ (paid) to backup data to their servers - allowing for offsite backups. As you can use your own encryption key, security is maintained.
I use the pogoplug as backup target for my PCs and Laptops and then backup that data using crashplan+.
May 16, 2013 07:13AM
I was just wondering b/c CP wont let you backup a CP archive per se--- so I guess you are backing up your family pc's with some other software to the pogo and then you want to backup that archive to CP Central.

I don't want to be one of "those guys" but my unsolicited opinion is that you might be better off not doing that.

Backing up backups can be a bit dicey and is not often recommended it seems to me. In the case of CP... I think you'd be better off installing CP on all your family PC's and backing up to CP Central individually using the family plan.

I personally don't back up backups- but having said that... you may have thought of something I didn't so that's all I'll say about it!

I am certainly curious about if you find some way to make it work on the pogo with the absence of open jdk6!

Keep us posted!!
May 16, 2013 07:28AM
All thanks for the updates..

pogoomane will make the adjustments and try as I work on my new project... Tnx
May 16, 2013 07:54AM
kevinvinv Wrote:
> I was just wondering b/c CP wont let you backup a
> CP archive per se--- so I guess you are backing
> up your family pc's with some other software to
> the pogo and then you want to backup that archive
> to CP Central.
>
> I don't want to be one of "those guys" but my
> unsolicited opinion is that you might be better
> off not doing that.
>
> Backing up backups can be a bit dicey and is not
> often recommended it seems to me. In the case of
> CP... I think you'd be better off installing CP on
> all your family PC's and backing up to CP Central
> individually using the family plan.
>
> I personally don't back up backups- but having
> said that... you may have thought of something I
> didn't so that's all I'll say about it!
>
> I am certainly curious about if you find some way
> to make it work on the pogo with the absence of
> open jdk6!
>
> Keep us posted!!

The main purpose of my Pogoplug is to provide an Owncloud installation so I can keep my files in sync over all my devices.
Of course it would be "cleaner" if I backed up every device on it's own using a CP family plan, but as all files that I would backup are already on the Pogoplug (thanks to Owncloud) and I'm trying to get by on a tight budget, backing up the data folder of my Owncloud using a "standard" CP plan is a good solution.
eas
June 11, 2013 02:41AM
Just a note, At some point crashplan, which had been running solidly for months, started bombing out every couple of days. after digging around and tracking down error messages, I learned the openJDK JIT on ARM was known to be problematic in the era when Squeeze was finalized. I tried various options and finally turned to the Oracle Embedded JRE, which worked fine for me. I'll probably give OpenJDK another shot when I switch to Wheezy
Mike
September 02, 2013 12:35PM
Is there any new development regarding installation of crashplan on Arch Linux Pogoplug E02 ? Anyone found openjdk6 package for Arch linux and willing to share it ? Anyone installed crashplan with a newer (and available) jdk version ?
September 02, 2013 01:54PM
Not that I know of, and I doubt we can expect anything from crashplan.

Regardless, I'm still running crashplan on my Pogoplug using the above mentioned script.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.