Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jumbo frames slow transfers on GoFlex Home

Posted by floodo1 
Jumbo frames slow transfers on GoFlex Home
January 02, 2013 06:52PM
Is anyone else experiencing this? Without jumbo frames (MTU=1500) on the GFH, but with the rest of my network set to 4000/4088 (whatever you want to call it), I get about 28.7 MB/S to the GFH, which I'm fine with. Just surprised that no matter what else I set the MTU to it's significantly slower (as in 1/10th the speed if I set it to 9000) than the usual 1500.
Re: Jumbo frames slow transfers on GoFlex Home
January 03, 2013 01:53AM
Are you sure the GoFlex Home NIC suports jumbo frame? (I don't recall coming across this info before). If indeed it does not have jumbo frame support, then it's typical that you would get worse performance using any setting other than 1500.
January 03, 2013 02:02AM
So I've umm "proven" it to myself that this thing doesn't support jumbo frames. Earlier I tried jumbo frames, realized it slowed down my file xfer massively so I returned to 1500. Went about making tons of other changes to things, then suddenly Samba performance is horrible, to the point where it won't even list a certain directory. I spend HOURS troubleshotting samba perfromance and why it takes seconds for it to process passwords. Start wondering if the processor in here is really 10mhz.

Right when I'm about to kill myself for spending so much time working on this thing today....figure out that MTU was set to 4000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, please, anyone that reads this thread, NEVER EVER set to MTU to 4000 :) you wouldn't believe how slow/laggy/buggy it made this thing! 28.7 MB/S is pretty damn good for something that I bought for $20 bucks and fits so nicely with my 3tb drive :)

I suppose the bright side is that I learned a lot :)
January 07, 2013 01:23AM
floodo1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, please, anyone that reads this thread, NEVER
> EVER set to MTU to 4000 :) you wouldn't believe
> how slow/laggy/buggy it made this thing!

Yup, not just 4000, don't set MTU to anything other than 1500 on these plugs.
January 07, 2013 03:59AM
After reading around I experimented with things like 1200-1400 and it wasn't beneficial either.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.