Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mail server pogoplug pro v3

Posted by echowarrior108 
Mail server pogoplug pro v3
January 13, 2021 02:33AM
I am currently working on a email server my my pogoplug pro v3 this is a work in progress and I will follow with more details as they come and try to provide a good working configuration that others may use. I will edit this as I go, got behind over the past few months but this is a work in progress so please be patient:)

Just an update, I abandoned my project on this one, found out Iredmail has a nice setup I am going to try. got too busy on other things to continue and had too many issues to fix. I will keep it open if anyone else is willing to try :)

Echowarrior108

device: pogoplug-pro v3

Currently running:
Debian GNU/Linux Bullseye 12-9-22
Linux 5.4.224-oxnas-tld-1 armv6l GNU/Linux 11-27-22

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2022 04:06PM by echowarrior108.
Re: Mail server pogoplug pro v3
April 27, 2022 12:08PM
Kinda a final followup on this project, after installing iRedMail the server simply freezes, guess it is a processor issue and I feel at this point that running an email server from this box may very well be more than it can handle but it was fun trying! I did take an old pc and install debian on it and it will do the job so I went that route!:) cheers!

Echowarrior108

Currently running:
April 27, 2022 03:05PM
did you make sure you had swap space set up? while an old PC would do the job, something a bit more power efficient like a dell kace which has more RAM available to it might be a better option now that there's uboot for it and most of the kinks are worked out (so long as you're using 5.15.5 for the kernel at time of post.)

the problem of course is the old PC costs $0 and the Kace is $32 on ebay plus the cost of whatever size SSD you want to shove in.
April 27, 2022 05:38PM
Kace used to be $14.99 or $13.49 (sale) shipped. Look at the inflation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 05:57PM by daviddyer.
April 28, 2022 07:56AM
Thanks for the suggestion however I had this pc just collecting dust and it deserves life again,lol, besides the wife said no more electronic devices are gonna be sitting around taking up space so buying another would not be an option:) I did get mail working on the desktop pc , it was a home built one and has more than enough capacity to run for many years and using it for my own personal email server works great. To stay on topic I installed debian 11 in it with kde for the desktop env.
As far as the pogoplug issues, I did have swap on and such it just got to a point where to little guy couldn't handle the processing demands and would hang. My daily plug however is doing great as a home server and runs flawlessly:) Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

Echowarrior108

Currently running:
April 29, 2022 05:47AM
sudos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... while an old PC would do the job, something a bit more power efficient like a dell kace which has more RAM available to it might be a better option now that there's uboot for it and most of the kinks are worked out (so long as you're using 5.15.5 for the kernel at time of post.)
>
Am I understood you are saying uboot has been ported to replace a PC boot ROM now? I sure would like to get information like this so I can start playing around with it on my old i386 PCs.
April 29, 2022 02:35PM
habibie,

> Am I understood you are saying uboot has been
> ported to replace a PC boot ROM now? I sure would
> like to get information like this so I can start
> playing around with it on my old i386 PCs.

No, sudos meant new u-boot for the Dell Kace M300. There is no u-boot for Intel PC.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 01, 2022 06:18PM
Bodhi, thank you for clarification.
May 02, 2022 03:44AM
just for clarification:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-13-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 6 × AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVC1

Echowarrior108

Currently running:
May 02, 2022 04:04AM
echowarrior108,

> Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
> KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
> KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
> Qt Version: 5.15.2
> Kernel Version: 5.10.0-13-amd64
> OS Type: 64-bit
> Processors: 6 × AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T
> Processor
> Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
> Graphics Processor: NVC1

All that horsepower for a mail server? wow! Sell it or donate it for tax purpose.

And then mount a Dell Kace M300 behind some monitor with VESA braces., i.e. no footprint. That would get you a high WAF rating setup :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 02, 2022 06:58AM
lots of hp for sure, problem is the motherboard had a faulty onboard video card which I disabled, it had a pair of sli graphics cards which went out from being old, I believe its on its last legs so it is basically worthless but I robbed a graphics card from another pc to bring it back to live, it used to be my main gamer but I built it in 2014 so it is pretty much obsolete and I figured since I refuse to part with it I may as well use it for something useful. It has been collecting dust for 4 years without even been turned on till I started this project.I also can use it for other projects as well so at least it will have a purpose.

As far as my pogo goes my main one is still rockin strong so all is good!!!:)

now you guys for me thinking about that Dell Kace M300! lol
I will let you know if I go there:)

Echowarrior108

Currently running:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2022 07:14AM by echowarrior108.
May 02, 2022 05:14PM
> card from another pc to bring it back to live, it
> used to be my main gamer but I built it in 2014 so
> it is pretty much obsolete and I figured since I
> refuse to part with it I may as well use it for
> something useful.

I see. Hard to part with something like that. I would keep it too. I have a box of floppy disks somewhere in the closet, in among them my first 8086 device driver I wrote:) perhaps it 's all bit-rotten by now.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 03, 2022 05:38AM
echowarrior108 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lots of hp for sure, ...
>
That equates to energy power hunger? For a mail server, it is overkill, AFAICT.
May 03, 2022 06:08AM

That equates to energy power hunger? For a mail server, it is overkill, AFAICT.
Well, I do have other plans other than just a mail server if in fact I keep that one running all the time for better use of power and besides I live in Fl and have solar power hooked up to my networking so running 200w more power isn't an issue so far:) As far as the Dell KaseM300 goes I am looking into it and if I do purchase it would be 2 of them I tend to have backups for everything.:) I really just wan to get the bugs out of my mail server before I try it on a smaller device...

Echowarrior108

Currently running:
May 03, 2022 07:01AM

I see. Hard to part with something like that. I would keep it too. I have a box of floppy disks somewhere in the closet, in among them my first 8086 device driver I wrote:) perhaps it 's all bit-rotten by now.

my bc88 w/monochrome finally hit the dump 3 years ago it simply gave up:) lol

Echowarrior108

Currently running:
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.