Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie! Need Help with Pogoplug E02

Posted by reundo 
Newbie! Need Help with Pogoplug E02
February 27, 2021 01:58PM
Hello! First post and new to embedded devices.

Found an old Pogoplug E02 while doing some spring cleaning. I am trying to follow Jeff's Tutorial and running into some issues since the newest version of Debian it lists in the tutorial is Wheezy.

I am able to SSH into the device. I got to the command:
./kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh
and ran into an error about invalid mirror and updated the following line from:
DEB_MIRROR="http://cdn.debian.net/debian";
to
DEB_MIRROR="http://archive.debian.org/debian/";

After updating the installer was going fine until I got this error:
^Mzlib1g_1%3a1.2.7.dfs   0% |                               |     0  --:--:-- ET
FATAL: kernel too old
I am guessing the best bet would be to install the newest stable version of Debian Stretch, but need help. I searched through the site and could not find anything to point me in the right direction following similar steps from Jeff's Tutorial.

Can anyone help point me in the right directions? Thanks!
Re: Newbie! Need Help with Pogoplug E02
February 27, 2021 03:57PM
reundo,

That's Jeff's old procedure to install on Pogo E02. The problem is Wheezy is old and now becoming obsolete.

If you are inside stock OS, you can install both new U-Boot and new Debian rootfs:

1. On another Linux box, create the Debian rootfs using Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

Debian:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

2. Dowload the u-boot tarball uboot.2017.07-tld-1.pogo_e02.bodhi.tar to this new USB rootfs:

U-Boot:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

3. And then attach the new USB rootfs to the box. Follow the u-boot installation instruction to flash u-boot.

======

This Pogo E02 does not have UART booting uisng kwboot (a rescue mechanism where you load u-boot image over serial console to start the box). So you need to be careful, a misstep in u-boot installation could semi-brick the box.

Since you are new to embedded device, I'd suggest that you don't reboot or remove power once you start the u-boot installation. At the end of Step 10 in the instruction, stop. Don't reboot or turn off power.

And then post the log of the u-boot installation session from step 1 to 10 here. I can take a look and verify for you that you should reboot or not.

For other Kirkwood boxes that has UART booting capability, it is OK to be a little less careful, since you can recover. But not this Pogo E02 (There is JTAG recovery, but it will invlove soldering and more complicate recovery procedure).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 06, 2021 07:08AM
Thanks bodhi! Hoping to have some time this weekend to try this out. Will post with my results then.
March 30, 2021 07:32PM
Hiya bodhi,

You helped me out on a thread about two years ago with my PogoPlug E02.

Logged into the device today randomely to run an update via apt-get and figured I'd check the forums. After the update I'm running:

root@PogoPlug:~# uname -a
Linux PogoPlug 5.3.2-kirkwood-tld-1 #1.0 PREEMPT Wed Oct 2 00:06:56 PDT 2019 armv5tel GNU/Linux
root@PogoPlug:~# cat /etc/debian_version

Is it worth it to update anything? otherwise running fine as my LAN Samba share.
March 30, 2021 08:47PM
wooglez,

>
> root@PogoPlug:~# uname -a
> Linux PogoPlug 5.3.2-kirkwood-tld-1 #1.0 PREEMPT
> Wed Oct 2 00:06:56 PDT 2019 armv5tel GNU/Linux
> root@PogoPlug:~# cat /etc/debian_version
> 10.9
>
>
> Is it worth it to update anything? otherwise
> running fine as my LAN Samba share.

Mainline DebianLinux kernel is even older than what you have right now. So it is not urgent.

However, if it is convenient, I would upgrade to the latest kernel.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.