Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlex NET: SATA disk not visible

Posted by azeera 
GoFlex NET: SATA disk not visible
March 26, 2013 12:45PM
Hi,

with great help from the forum I installed wheezy on a stick and can sucessfully boot it. When I plug in a SATA disk I hear that the motor starts spinning but it is not recognized by the kernel. Is there anything else that needs to be done in order to use a SATA disk?

Regards,
azeera
Re: GoFlex NET: SATA disk not visible
March 26, 2013 01:42PM
Does "fdisk -l", run with root rights, list your disk. If yes the kernel already knows it's there.

If it's in the list, you have to mount it, to use it. ;-)

If it's not in the list, the kernel probably doesn't have support for sata, or you need to load the coresponding module first. Once I think I read that setting the right arcNumber fixed some problems. No guarantee, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 01:43PM by ingmar_k.
March 26, 2013 03:03PM
Thanks for your reply. fdisk -l only lists some memory devices and the usb stick. The SATA disk is not visible. fw_printenv shows arcNumber=2097. Does anyone know a arcNumber that supports SATA on GoFlex NET?
March 27, 2013 12:11AM
azeera Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for your reply. fdisk -l only lists some
> memory devices and the usb stick. The SATA disk is
> not visible. fw_printenv shows arcNumber=2097.
> Does anyone know a arcNumber that supports SATA on
> GoFlex NET?

GoFlex Net arcNumber is 3089. But you also need a kernel that support it:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,11601

And the uBoot envs that enable booting with the SATA, if desired:
sata_boot=ide reset; mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load ide 0:1 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load ide 0:1 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
sata_bootcmd=run usb_set_bootargs; run sata_boot
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run sata_bootcmd; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset

If not booting with SATA, then there is no need to change uBoot envs, it will be initialize correctly with the new kernel.
shv
May 11, 2013 01:23PM
Booting from SATA works well as long as no additional USB harddrive is connected. With additional USB harddrive the Goflex Net does not boot after using the reboot command from first SATA drive anymore even the USB harddrive does not contain a partition labeled with rootfs. Power off/on restart most often works. How to improve the uboot settings that even in this case booting from SATA is possible?

U-Boot 2011.12 (Apr 18 2012 - 23:08:20)
Seagate GoFlexNet

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
DRAM:  128 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:  256 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 5 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x2008d80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x2008d80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x1f8c80

arcNumber=3089
baudrate=115200
bootdelay=3
console=ttyS0,115200
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:10:75:26:8B:8D
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
led_error=orange blinking
led_exit=green off
led_init=green blinking
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
partition=nand0,2
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_device=0:1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
sata_boot=ide reset; mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load ide 0:1 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load ide 0:1 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
sata_bootcmd=run usb_set_bootargs; run sata_boot
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run sata_bootcmd; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2013 02:13PM by shv.
May 11, 2013 03:24PM
To ensure SATA booting while USB drives are connected:

1. Set the label of the HDD drive to "rootfs" (assuming the HDD was assigned sda1)
# tune2fs -L rootfs /dev/sda1

2. Change usb_init to reset the rootfs to use label
# fw_setenv usb_init "run usb_scan; setenv usb_root LABEL=rootfs"

3. Also ensure that no USB drives have roofts labeled as "rootfs". If any USB drive has a system on it, and labeled rootfs, then its uImage and uInitrd might be used during booting, but HDD rootfs is still the one that is mounted as the OS.

Note that this approach only works for system with initrd (i.e. Debian). If you're running Arch then you will need to create the initrd and then uInitrd.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
shv
May 12, 2013 04:43AM
@bodhi:
Thanks for your recommendations. But if I search the INET for the "EHCI timed out" messages I find some occurrences where other plug computers were affected. Such problems were resolved by uboot changes. The device doesn't boot due to the same problem if I try to boot from a USB stick which is connected with 3 USB harddisks to a USB hub and don't use a SATA boot disk. So I think that this is really a uboot problem. Is there any other uboot available for the Goflex Net?

I can prevent the occurrance of the problem if I boot from the SATA disk. If I put run sata_bootcmd at the beginning of bootcmd the device boots without scanning connected USB devices.

bootcmd=run sata_bootcmd; usb reset; usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset

Moreover I had the problem that not all USB disks were detected or mounted by udev automount after reboot with the 3.3.2 kernel. After I changed the boot partition to use the 3.8.4 kernel this problem didn't occur anymore.
May 12, 2013 02:09PM
shv,

I see now. I agree that if you're booting with a power USB hub only and uBoot shows "EHCI timed out" error, then it sounds like uBoot problem. That's what I've learned also, people reported this problem quite often with USB hub. It might be some settings need to be adjusted in uBoot like you're mentioned.

I've compiled a GoFlex Net uBoot 2013.01 for FDT, and it boots both types of kernel (I posted in this thread http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381,12381#msg-12381). I dont know if you want to try? I'm having problem with netconsole on this version so I have not posted it for general consumption.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
shv
May 14, 2013 02:08PM
Because also the 3.8.4 kernel doesn't work flawlessly I am not sure if it is a FW or HW problem. Before I try other things I will try an old Squeeze with an old 2.x.y kernel. Until the device don't work properly I will not change the uboot. There are no problems with SATA but a lot with USB if I use a USB hub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 02:11PM by shv.
May 15, 2013 02:13AM
shv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because also the 3.8.4 kernel doesn't work
> flawlessly I am not sure if it is a FW or HW
> problem. Before I try other things I will try an
> old Squeeze with an old 2.x.y kernel. Until the
> device don't work properly I will not change the
> uboot. There are no problems with SATA but a lot
> with USB if I use a USB hub.

An idea: you could set uBoot envs to restart usb a few times see if it helps?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
shv
August 30, 2013 03:30PM
Booting is not the main problem because I can set priority to boot from SATA disk. The main problem is that the harddisks behind the USB Hub are not working stable. With the Pogoplug Pro this is working well.

I've bought a new Goflex Net and get the same problems while booting from USB stick which is connected together with some harddisks to a USB hub. I didn't try to boot from SATA disk yet to see whether USB harddisks can be stable accessed. But I expect the same problems. Booting with some USB sticks connected to the hub is working well. Therefore the problem might be linked to the USB2SATA interfaces of the used drives. All drives have the same interfaces.
August 30, 2013 09:13PM
shv,

You could try UART booting with this new uBoot image before changing anything. It could be uBoot driver problem, or perhaps uBoot envs need to be adjusted.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
shv
August 31, 2013 07:21AM
I tried UART booting but it doesn't work. Later I found out that my device has a BootROM version 1.11 so that I can't use UART booting with it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.