Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smbnetfs can't preserve date time

Posted by bodhi 
smbnetfs can't preserve date time
June 14, 2013 11:18PM
I've been using smbnetfs to transfer files using cp command across multiple Debian servers. Everything works great, copying files never failed. But there is a problem with preserving date and time, and I could not find a reason why or any solution for it (perhaps my Google-fu is not up to par ? :)

Example:
root@Dockstar:/localdisk/linux# cp -a /media/net/WORKGROUP/TLDDEBIAN/localdisk/linux/uvcvideo.ko .
cp: preserving times for `./uvcvideo.ko': Invalid argument

In this example, uvcvideo.ko end up with a time stamp value as current time. Copying files the other direction (push) also has the same error.

Anybody using smbnetfs has seen this problem?

Thanks,

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: smbnetfs can't preserve date time
June 15, 2013 12:15AM
bodhi,

I do not use smbnetfs. But I guess that is because file system dismatch.

-syong
June 15, 2013 06:58PM
syong,

I'm not sure file system is the problem. IIRC, it behaves the same way even when copying files between identical systems. I boot all my boxes with the clones of the same stick, except the system used for building kernel. But it's a good suggestion, I will test that theory.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 15, 2013 09:54PM
bodhi,

samba is to windows as nfs is to *nix. I use both on my boxes. nfs might be a better choice if you want to use cp.

What makes the box used for building kernel different from the others?

-syong
June 16, 2013 01:06AM
syong,

Yeah, I use Samba because it's much more convenient. So I trade a little speed gain of nfs for that. And I needs smbnetfs to copy files from Linux servers to any OS flavor (OSX, Windows, Linux) in the network using command line. I like smbnetfs because it discovers and automounts Samba shares.

The box used for building kernel runs 3.6.11 kernel and boot from HDD, the other boxes boot from USB and run 3.8.11 kenel. Roofs started from same version, but not one of the clones like other boxes.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.