Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not seeing Pogoplug V4 on my network (running Debian 12)

Posted by rsantag 
Not seeing Pogoplug V4 on my network (running Debian 12)
January 18, 2024 04:44PM
I've been running the Debian 11 image on my Pogoplug V4 for some time. I saw that there is a Debian 12 image (Nov 1, 2023), so decided to give that a try. I'm using the 2017 U-boot, which I assume should be fine. This device doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports, so not sure the 2023 U-boot would buy me much.

I partitioned a 16GB SD card, labeled as "rootfs", created ext3 file system and extracted Debian-5.6.7-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 to the mount point, unmounted, put it in my Pogoplug V4 and powered up. It appears to be booting - flashing green, then red/yellow, then solid green. But I never see it on my network. When I boot it with one of the Debian 11 images it comes up fine and I see it on the network.

dtb_file environment variable is set to /boot/dts/kirkwood-pogoplug_v4.dtb, and I even tried putting dtb_file=/boot/dts/kirkwood-pogoplug_v4.dtb in /boot/uEnv.txt, but still after it boots up, I never see it on my router.

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2024 05:08PM by rsantag.
Re: Not seeing Pogoplug V4 on my network (running Debian 12)
January 18, 2024 08:06PM
OK, according to note #2, it says /etc/rc.local generates new SSH keys on 1st boot. I mounted the SD on another box and I don't see any /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* files. So maybe it isn't actually coming up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2024 08:06PM by rsantag.
January 19, 2024 12:18AM
rsantag,

> OK, according to note #2, it says /etc/rc.local
> generates new SSH keys on 1st boot. I mounted the
> SD on another box and I don't see any
> /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* files. So maybe it isn't
> actually coming up?

Correct. The booting did not get to the point when new SSH keys are generated.

This seems to be a general problem for the new rootfs for Pogo V4 SD rootfs booting. It does not affect Pogo V4 USB rootfs booting. And it does not affect any other Kirkwood boxes.

I need to write up a simple and clear workaround procedure for this corner case in number 2 below (there are many approaches to get around this problem, below are 3 different ways to do it).

So in the mean time, do number 1:

1. Boot with Debian 12 rootfs on USB (this is a good way to solve this problem, because you also create backup rootfs tarball in the process)

After booted successfully into Debian,

a. Install kernel linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2.

b. And then bring the USB rootfs to another Linux box and clone it to the SD card using a backup/restore procedure.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096,24034#msg-24034

c. Boot the SD card rootfs.

The kernel 6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 should boot Pogo V4 SD rootfs without problem.

2. Temporarily booting kernel 6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 with rootfs Debian-6.5.7-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

This is a quickest an dsimple shortcut approach that I need to write here. I will be back to post this ( perhaps tomorrow).

3. Use a USB-SD adapter to boot the Debian-6.5.7-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 rootfs on SD card. And then update the kernel to linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.

Remove this SD card from the adapter and boot with it. orbezo used this approach in this post.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 19, 2024 12:08PM
OK, thank you! That worked to get it to boot (I used a USB-SD adapter - option 3)

I'm now trying to install the 6.6.3 kernel. I'm assuming for the 1st mkImage I'm using linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.patch instead of linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1. For the 2nd mkImage, I don't see initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1. Doesn't appear to be contained in linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2. Where do I get that?
January 19, 2024 11:23PM
rsantag,

> I'm now trying to install the 6.6.3 kernel. I'm
> assuming for the 1st mkImage I'm using
> linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.patch instead of
> linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1. For the 2nd mkImage,
> I don't see initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.
> Doesn't appear to be contained in
> linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2. Where
> do I get that?

No, that's not correct.

I guess you have not upgraded any kernel that I released here so you're unfamiliar. See the release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Updated 01 Dec 2023:

Kernel linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 package has been uploaded. The following features were added/updated:

- General kernel upgrade.
- Reconfigure MMC to built-in kernel module
- Update ds411jv10 DTS (binding and documentation only, no new functionality)
- See Important Note in Step 5 about uInitrd size.

Latest Linux kernel 6.x general release information can be found at:
LinuxChanges log

Download at Dropbox:

linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2

md5:
2491894e135e3f07089be277de7b5257
sha256:
71ea3b3d6464c36eb74237709eac1762075cf8eadf9e59bdb4a87242e8f97026
And as always, please verify the hash of what you've downloaded!

This tarball contains 6 files:
linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb
linux-headers-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb
config-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1
zImage-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1
linux-dtb-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.tar
linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1.patch

Installation:

So you'd download the tarball linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2. And then follow the installation instruction to install it inside the Pogo V4 (SSH in while the system is running).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 19, 2024 11:27PM
I did "dpkg -V linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb" to verify it was installed and it said "not installed". I was sure I did the install (shows up in my bash history), but I went ahead and ran it again. Install failed. Didn't notice the errors last time. Assuming that's where initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 comes from.

Got "cannot copy extracted data for ./lib/modules/blah-blah-blah ... Unexpected end of file or stream". Let me try extracting it again...
January 19, 2024 11:33PM
> Got "cannot copy extracted data for
> ./lib/modules/blah-blah-blah ... Unexpected end of
> file or stream". Let me try extracting it
> again...

You have to install the kernel on the Pogo V4 itself while it is running. Sounds like you are trying to install it on another Linux host.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 19, 2024 11:43PM
Nope, that didn't help. I did check the md5sum of linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 and it is good. The end of stream is apparently because decompress is failing

root@debian:~# dpkg -i linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 16869 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 (1) ...
dpkg-deb: error: <decompress> subprocess was killed by signal (Killed)
dpkg: error processing archive linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb (--install):
cannot copy extracted data for './lib/modules/6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko' to '/lib/modules/6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb

Have you seen this before?
January 19, 2024 11:55PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to install the kernel on the Pogo V4
> itself while it is running. Sounds like you are
> trying to install it on another Linux host.

Right, I'm doing all this on the Pogo V4 that's running Debian 12 from the USB-SD adapter. Downloaded linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2, extracted it with tar -xjf, extracted the dtb tar file, etc. The "dpkg -i linux-image-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb" is failing. Is that what creates initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1, because I'm definitely not seeing that file to be able to create uInitrd.
January 20, 2024 12:06AM
> Is that what creates
> initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1, because I'm
> definitely not seeing that file to be able to
> create uInitrd.

Yes. dpkg creates the kernel files.

4a. Boot with DTB file (standard way to boot FDT kernel). Recommended.

Generate the uImage and uInitrd (the kernel files vmlinuz-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 and initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 were generated by dpkg in Step 3):
cd /boot
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 -d vmlinuz-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 uImage
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 -d initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd

=====

Do you have swap on? i.e. create swap file before doing any upgrade. See Note 1 in the rootfs installation.

Note 1 (Strongly Recommended):

To keep the rootfs extremely basic and small, there is no swap space set up for it. The first thing you should do after the 1st boot is to set up a swap file to make the system run better. In fact, system upgrades oftently fail to run without swap. Please see here for instruction how to do that.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 20, 2024 12:24AM
Ah - that was it! created a swapfile and dpkg ran this time & created my initrd.img-6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1. Will run mkImage again and see if it will come up off the SD directly.
January 20, 2024 12:31AM
uInitrd was less than 6MB, so good there. I powered down, moved the SD card to the SD card slot, powered back up and all is good!

Thank you VERY much for all your help!

Ralph
January 20, 2024 02:51AM
Cool!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.