Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Samba on Pogoplug Pro w/ Debian

Posted by Eric 
Eric
Samba on Pogoplug Pro w/ Debian
October 21, 2013 12:34AM
Hello again,

I'm looking for a good tutorial on how to setup samba for Debian installed on a Pogoplug Pro. I installed Debian using the instructions on howtoforge:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-debian-squeeze-on-pogoplug-v3-oxnas-cleanly

I'm not really sure if this is Debian Squeeze or not. If you can clarify that point, I'd appreciate it.

Is there a samba install and setup tutorial out there that would work for Debian on Pogoplugs? Ideally, I would like to make automount mount every new drive under /media folder, and make samba share everything under the /media folder. I'm coming from ArchLinuxArm environment, and that's the basic setup there.

Thanks,
Eric
Re: Samba on Pogoplug Pro w/ Debian
October 21, 2013 03:39PM
Eric
October 22, 2013 12:01AM
I tried installing Samba like this:

root@PogoDebian:/# apt-get install samba samba-client
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'smbclient' instead of 'samba-client'
Segmentation fault

I thought maybe I should use smbclient instead - so I did this, but still got seg fault.

root@PogoDebian:/# apt-get install samba smbclient
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Segmentation fault

Maybe I have the wrong repository? The only other program I tried to install was Motion, but that worked.
October 22, 2013 02:48AM
Do you have a sort of swap partition defined?
What does the command "swapon -s" say?
If not, you are probably running out of RAM. Either that, or maybe your rootfs is corrupted.
Eric
October 23, 2013 09:33PM
I don't think I have any swap partitions defined. I intended to run this on a flash drive. When I run the swapon command, I get this output:

Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority

I get the segfault error even when nothing else is running. By nothing, I mean other than the standard set of processes that are started using the "clean debian install" instructions. I don't have any user installed apps running when I try to install Samba. When I do "top", I only see the occasional process consume decimal percents of the memory.

Is there anything else I should check?
October 24, 2013 10:23AM
Your problem isn't with samba, but with either apt-get or the samba package itself. One is broken. Can you "apt-get install" other packages? Do the /var/log/* files show anything interesting? Have you fscked the root (and var, if separate) file systems recently? I'm not a Debian apt-get expert, so I don't know what to suggest to clean a corrupted apt-get database.

FWIW, I run samba on my Pogoplugs. I started with squeeze and upgraded to wheezy, and I've long since forgotten how I installed samba originally. Here's what I have loaded:

$ dpkg -l | grep samba
ii  samba                                 2:3.6.6-6                    armel        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
ii  samba-common                          2:3.6.6-6                    all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
ii  samba-common-bin                      2:3.6.6-6                    armel        common files used by both the Samba server and client
$

Good luck!
October 24, 2013 02:15PM
Hmm, I might be wrong, but segfaults don't sound like a apt-get database problem to me. With a database problem shouldn't you just get some error message, telling you that the operation can't be done correctly, or that a dependency can't be satisfied, or something of the likes?
Segfaults sound more like a hardware problem, or running out of RAM. But that's just my 2 cents. And you should never underestimate how much RAM apt can consume, when building dependencies etc..
No harm in trying everything possible, if it's already broken, though.
October 24, 2013 03:28PM
I think it's likely running out of RAM. When you run Debian on the Pro, a big junk of memory is taken already. It's best to have swap on USB, even though you don't intent to use it in normal operation. Use a swapfile so it can be turned on/off easily in rc.local.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Timo
October 31, 2013 10:55AM
Installing samba on Debian is not that hard. I followed the tutorial on howtoforge to get Debian running on my Pogoplug v3. After adding ntp support, I also installed samba via
apt-get update
apt-get install samba

Then I set up my smb.conf (which I mostly copied from my old Samba server) and I was good to go.

However, after checking the logs I noticed some errors in connection with Windows 7 which were not critical at all, but annoying. Anyway, the reason was, that Squeeze usually still uses samba 3.5 which causes these errors in connection with a Windows 7 client. After adding the squeeze-backports repo to my apt sources and upgrading samba to version 3.6 these error messages were gone.

So, in short, if you have Windows 7/8 clients on your network, I would recommend installing samba from the backports repository (see debian wiki), so you get the latest samba 3.6 (at least the latest in the 3.x series; I know there is also samba 4).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.