Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stop spinning hard drive?

Posted by Almaz 
Stop spinning hard drive?
December 22, 2013 08:55PM
I'm using PogoPlug Debian with a hard drive. sda1 main system partition and sda3 for data. What's the best way to put hard drive to sleep so it will stop spinning. I already tried hd-idle but it just stopped the whole system and then I couldn't even access PogoPlug. Is it possible to stop hard drive spinning until I connect to transmission or CouchPotato/SickBeard would request to wake up the hard drive?
Re: Stop spinning hard drive?
December 23, 2013 09:52AM
This would normally be done via hdparm (hdparm.conf settings-file). But having the system directly on the drive, makes hdparm ignore it for spindown, IIRC.
So, best solution would be to have the system on USB, NAND or whatever and only using the drive for storage. IF, spindown is mandatory for you, that is. ;-)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.