Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 5.4.268 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Linux Kernel 3.17.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
January 26, 2015 09:02AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bodhi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A small correction: kernel 3.17 for Oxnas was
> not
> > come from Jeff. It's my kernel build which is a
> > derivative of kref's kernel build!
>
>
> Hehe I thought your name was Jeff. Sorry :(

:)) np!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Just installed this and managed to install the 2013 uboot.

from an installation perspective all things look rosy. Just a couple of questions and im guessing i should have placed it in the appropriate uboot section,

What clock speed is the uboot set at?
How far can we push it?

i have a spare pogoppro and dont mind pushing it to the limit.
Re: Linux Kernel 3.17.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
January 30, 2015 10:53AM
Gravelrash,

It is default to 700 MHz. I've uploaded a 850 Mhz SPL somewhere in the forum. Let me see if I can find it.

I think 850 is the safest limit. Faster than that, it'll become unstable.

PS.

I see shv already responded. But anyway the SPL is here in this post:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017,17548#msg-17548

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 10:56AM by bodhi.
eok
January 30, 2015 06:27PM
Bodhi;

Many thanks for the 3.xx kernel & rootfs! This looks like it will allow me to make better use of the 3 oxnas pogoplug classics I've had for a long time (running 'Arch).

I run them via sataboot. This is mainly because two of my 'pogos have too many bad mtd blocks & it's just not worth running multiple configs when I can run just one across all three.

I'm using the U-Boot: 2013.10-ga72eb8f-dirty - it works fine for what I'm doing. Once I figured out the proper uboot env settings I got a booting system.

I've been running the 3.17 kernel & rootfs for a few days now. The only big issue I've encountered so far: can't mount fat filesystems. Historically & by default, the codepage for FAT is 437. It appears your current 3.17 oxnas kernel doesn't really support that codepage. For example:

root@pogo3:/boot# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt                                                                                           
[ 2087.313177] FAT-fs (sdb1): codepage cp437 not found                                                                           
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,                                                                   
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error                                                                        
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try                                                                        
       dmesg | tail  or so

That's the error you get when the kernel doesn't support a codepage.

Looking at config-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1, I see:

#
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
#
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

so far so good... but, I also see:

CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437 is not set

So, I believe codepage 437 doesn't get built (I *think* this would be the module nls_cp437.ko). So, no way to mount FAT partitions or thumbdrives with the 3.17 kernel & rootfs as released. :^(

I see you include the headers with your kernel releases. Any possibility of releasing a full kernel source snapshot too? I don't have a problem building my own kernels or modules (actually, I prefer it).

PS: to be sure, I made and tested image files (uImage, uInitrd, etc) from the boot dir in the 3.17 rootfs and from your most recent 3.17 kernel update release. Same issue with codepage 437 in both.

---
eok
January 30, 2015 11:08PM
eok,

> I see you include the headers with your kernel
> releases. Any possibility of releasing a full
> kernel source snapshot too? I don't have a
> problem building my own kernels or modules
> (actually, I prefer it).
>

Thans for reporting this missing code page in config.

The kernel tarball (Updated 29 Oct 2014) has everything you need to build your own kernel: .config file and patch file. You can get the source form mainline kernel source tree and apply the patch on top of it, and then build with the .config file.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 11:09PM by bodhi.
eok
January 30, 2015 11:25PM
Bodhi;

Bodhi
The kernel tarball (Updated 29 Oct 2014) has everything you need to build your own kernel: ...

Oh my, how silly of me - I forgot. And I was looking right at the header tree the other day too. Sheesh! Anyway, again: thanks!

---
eok
January 31, 2015 02:59AM
eok Wrote:
> Bodhi;
>
>
Bodhi
> The kernel tarball (Updated 29 Oct 2014) has
> everything you need to build your own kernel: ...
>
>
> Oh my, how silly of me - I forgot. And I was
> looking right at the header tree the other day
> too. Sheesh! Anyway, again: thanks!
>
> ---
> eok

:)) in plain sight.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2015 07:37AM
Hi all
i replaced the awful wifi card with an atheros based one..... installed the appropriate firmware.... THEN

the system thought it would be a fabulous idea to rebuild the headers/ regenerate the image and now i dont have access. The lack of access in itself isnt the issue.

What im curious to know is is this to be expected of this build or have i somehow baulked up the install commands.... im going to replace with a new root system and repeat, but wondered if anyone else had had issues when the system regenerates after installs.

Cheers

Grav
February 02, 2015 08:50AM
Gravelrash,

I don't quite understand what you did. Can you post installation log?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2015 11:09AM
This is an extract of the /var/log/dpkg.log for yesterday, i hadnt configured local console session logging on my main pc so cant offer any console session logs to add detail
>--------snip
2015-02-01 08:38:50 startup archives unpack
2015-02-01 08:38:51 install firmware-linux-free:all <none> 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status half-installed firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status unpacked firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status unpacked firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:51 install firmware-linux:all <none> 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status half-installed firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status unpacked firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:51 status unpacked firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:52 startup packages configure
2015-02-01 08:38:52 configure firmware-linux-free:all 3.2 <none>
2015-02-01 08:38:52 status unpacked firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status half-configured firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status installed firmware-linux-free:all 3.2
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status triggers-pending initramfs-tools:all 0.109.1
2015-02-01 08:38:53 configure firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1 <none>
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status unpacked firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status half-configured firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status installed firmware-linux:all 0.36+wheezy.1
2015-02-01 08:38:53 trigproc initramfs-tools:all 0.109.1 <none>
2015-02-01 08:38:53 status half-configured initramfs-tools:all 0.109.1
2015-02-01 08:39:07 status installed initramfs-tools:all 0.109.1
---------snip-<
its after this point that i received messages about regenerating images.... not sure here, but very happy to beleive i baulked the install somehow
February 02, 2015 11:39AM
Fairly certain i somehow baulked the installation - whether through copy and paste or some other mechanism.... the plug is now working - amazing what a fresh rootfs will do.....

*looks sheepish and scratches head*
Dear Bodhi!

I would like to thank your work on Pogo V3 oxnas. :)

We had left by Archlinux for years.
I felt I was left and disapointed with P24. Years ago I push it in the cupboard deeply and try to forget. :)

Now I start a new idea based on a tiny embedded debian and I look around about Debian on P24 and Found Your thread!!!

Spent 1 day with freshing Uboot and Debian 3.17. but it worst.

Thank you for fresh Debian on P24.

Regards,
Robert
February 02, 2015 01:11PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> Fairly certain i somehow baulked the installation
> - whether through copy and paste or some other
> mechanism.... the plug is now working - amazing
> what a fresh rootfs will do.....
>
> *looks sheepish and scratches head*

:) it does happen to all of us sometime.

Usually only when you insert modules or install something that results in new module(s) needed, then the initramfs is updated, and then uInitrd needed to be regenerated. vmlinuz is not updated with apt-get upgrade or apt-get install, so uImage does not need to be regenerated.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2015 01:18PM
@Robert,

Glad it became useful and interesting for you again. What a waste to keep it on the shelf collecting dust :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Any idea why mysql-server 5.5 won't load correctly from the repository with 3.17? It gets installed but doesn't allow you to set a new password and then the restart fails after first load. Purging and reinstalling doesn't work either. Wonder if anyone else has encountered this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 02:16PM by LeggoMyEggo.
Could someone clarify what is the best way to get latest kernel and rootfs on a stock PogoPlug Pro? Do I install the new uBoot first or the kernel/rootfs? Is there an available Rescue Image for the oxnas based systems? Is it possible to boot from eSATA? Ideally I would like to have an accessable rescue system on NAND and Boot Debian from the eSATA port.

Thanks
Ray
rayknight Wrote:
> Could someone clarify what is the best way to get
> latest kernel and rootfs on a stock PogoPlug Pro?
> Do I install the new uBoot first or the
> kernel/rootfs? Is there an available Rescue Image
> for the oxnas based systems? Is it possible to
> boot from eSATA? Ideally I would like to have an
> accessable rescue system on NAND and Boot Debian
> from the eSATA port.
>
> Thanks
> Ray

The more I play around with Oxnas Pogoplugs, having completely bricked one I picked up for $9 last night, the more I am thinking they just are too hard to reimage and setup. And the built-in wireless defies all attempts to get it working without replacing the mPCI-e card to Atheros or something else.

It's actually a shame considering the potential capabilities of the device as what other similar device with dual core processor, Gigabit ethernet, built-in mPCI-e w/wifi, built-in RAM, built in 4 port hub, case and power supply can be had for $15 shipped new? They even throw in a 6 foot cat 5 patch cable. I can't think of anything else, can you?

It's been stated elsewhere, I'll repeat it with regret, you probably should just buy a Kirkwood and your life will be alot happier.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 07:17AM by LeggoMyEggo.
Hello guys,

Would anyone be able to help me here?

I am having a POGO-P21. I followed: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-v3oxnas-eol last night, works fine.
Until I shut down the Pogo, I can't get it to boot properly since.

The green light just keep flashing forever.

So I found this forum, and I might be able to salvage my Pogo using debian.

I followed the steps in this thread, but to no avail.

Please Please Please.
February 05, 2015 03:21AM
@Ray,

It is best that you have serial console connected first. But you can do without it, but be carefull.

If you intend to install both new u-boot and rootfs then it is best to install both at the same time: prepare rootfs on USB stick, and then install new u-boot, and setup netconsole right away (if you don't have serial console connected), reboot with the new rootfs.

There is no rescue image available. But once you've installed new u-boot, set up netconsole right away as a rescue means

It is possible to boot from eSATA. But you will have to try to know whether the eSata enclosure you use will work. Boot with USB rootfs first to get it working. Then put the rootfs on the SATA drive and try it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 05, 2015 03:28AM
@Nate,

> I am having a POGO-P21. I followed:
> http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-v
> 3oxnas-eol last night, works fine.
> Until I shut down the Pogo, I can't get it to boot
> properly since.
>
> The green light just keep flashing forever.

The Debian rootfs won't work with the u-boot and kernel setup by the above Arch installation. You will have to try:

1. Recreate a fresh Arch rootfs just like one of the steps you did in that installation. And try booting with it. Do this entire step on another Linux box, while logging in a root user (not using sudo). And sync a few times to make sure the rootfs was saved correctly.

2. If 1 does not work, you need to connect serial console.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 05, 2015 03:30AM
@LeggoMyEggo,

> And the built-in
> wireless defies all attempts to get it working
> without replacing the mPCI-e card to Atheros or
> something else.

I hope that this might be possible to fix once I got time to look at it.

> It's been stated elsewhere, I'll repeat it with regret, you probably should just buy a Kirkwood and your life will be alot happier.

I understand the frustration, but that's probably not a good recommendation if Ray already bought it, is it? :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:38AM by bodhi.
bodhi Wrote:
> @LeggoMyEggo,
>
> > And the built-in
> > wireless defies all attempts to get it working
> > without replacing the mPCI-e card to Atheros or
> > something else.
>
> I hope that this might be possible to fix once I
> got time to look at it.
>
> > It's been stated elsewhere, I'll repeat it with
> regret, you probably should just buy a Kirkwood
> and your life will be alot happier.
>
> I understand the frustration, but that's probably
> not a good recommendation if Ray already bought
> it, is it? :)

I appreciate your work on this, if it weren't for your constant effort updating the rootfs' I think alot of the Oxnas PP would have ended up in the landfill. My frustration is born out of the feeling of being so close to having a fully working device but with the knowledge of all the issues (especially with the Oxnas CPU itself) which prevent fruition of stable functionality. I think we will get there but looking back at all the effort people here and at Arch have put into making these devices stable, well it's been a long and rough road.
February 05, 2015 05:04AM
> I think we will get there but looking back at all
> the effort people here and at Arch have put into
> making these devices stable, well it's been a long
> and rough road.

Indeed it had been that way. I think by now we got a good NAS out of it with the ability to keep up with new kernels release. That's just about I hope to get for a low cost plug.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hey Bodhi,

Thanks for replying me.

OK! my pogoplug is now back running with alarm. I dare not to do a cold shutdown now.

I am now wondering how can I switch this alarm pogoplug to your debian?

THanks,
Nathan
February 06, 2015 01:46AM
Nate Wrote:
> Hey Bodhi,
>
> Thanks for replying me.
>
> OK! my pogoplug is now back running with alarm. I
> dare not to do a cold shutdown now.
>
> I am now wondering how can I switch this alarm
> pogoplug to your debian?
>
> THanks,
> Nathan

While running ALARM, it is best to install both u-boot and Debian rootfs at the same time:

1. Create Debian rootfs on USB stick:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044

2. Install new u-boot:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017

(Please read the u-boot installation instruction carefully. And setup netconsole right after you've installed new u-boot if you don't have serial console).

3. Reboot with the new Debian rootfs.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
> While running ALARM, it is best to install both u-boot and Debian rootfs at the same time:
>
> 1. Create Debian rootfs on USB stick:
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044
>
> 2. Install new u-boot:
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017
>
> (Please read the u-boot installation instruction carefully. And setup netconsole right after you've installed new u-boot if you don't have serial
> console).
>
> 3. Reboot with the new Debian rootfs.

Before I run this, FYI I am running the ALARM on external HDD.
Please correct me if I am wrong:
1. Create Debian rootfs on separate USB stick (using the pogoplug) by following [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?
2. Install new u-boot to the ALARM pogoplug by following [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?
3. I don't have serial console, setup netconsole
4. Reboot, Remove HDD, plug Debian USB?

And, how do I get the Debian to run from the external HDD? After gettting the USB-Debian running, Should I reformat my HDD to Debian rootfs,?

Sorry, I am really newbie in this...

Thanks,
Nate
February 06, 2015 12:58PM
@Nate,

> 1. Create Debian rootfs on separate USB stick
> (using the pogoplug) by following
> [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?

Yes.

> 2. Install new u-boot to the ALARM pogoplug by
> following
> [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?

Should be:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017

> 3. I don't have serial console, setup netconsole

Yes. It is important.

> 4. Reboot, Remove HDD, plug Debian USB?

After installing u-boot, shutdown, remove HDD, plug in Debian USB, power up.

> And, how do I get the Debian to run from the
> external HDD? After gettting the USB-Debian
> running, Should I reformat my HDD to Debian
> rootfs,?
>

Yes. You should format the HDD with a single Ext3 partition. And copy the Debian rootfs over. If you need help with cloning rootfs, please post back when you need to do it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 12:59PM by bodhi.
bodhi Wrote:
> @Nate,
>
> > 1. Create Debian rootfs on separate USB stick
> > (using the pogoplug) by following
> > [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2. Install new u-boot to the ALARM pogoplug by
> > following
> > [http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 ]?
>
> Should be:
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017
>
> > 3. I don't have serial console, setup
> netconsole
>
> Yes. It is important.
>
> > 4. Reboot, Remove HDD, plug Debian USB?
>
> After installing u-boot, shutdown, remove HDD,
> plug in Debian USB, power up.
>
> > And, how do I get the Debian to run from the
> > external HDD? After gettting the USB-Debian
> > running, Should I reformat my HDD to Debian
> > rootfs,?
> >
>
> Yes. You should format the HDD with a single Ext3
> partition. And copy the Debian rootfs over. If you
> need help with cloning rootfs, please post back
> when you need to do it.

I think I've broke my pogoplug...AGAIN...

followed the step by step instruction...

it is now booting with:
few seconds blink of green light
few seconds blink of orange light
few seconds blink of green light
few seconds blink of orange light
stay in orange light

I am trying to monitor the netconsole using another ubuntu machine by running:
nc -l -u -p 6666
but nothing came up....
February 07, 2015 03:47AM
Nate,

1. On Ubuntu, use netcat traditional. If not sure, post the man page of that nc command.

2. Where 192.168.x.xxx is the ip address of the plug (u-boot env ipaddr). The command should be:

nc -lup 6666 192.168.x.xxx 6666

The LED pattern indicates that the kernel image could not been loaded (blinking green and then blinking orange). Blinking green means it was reset to start loading. And finally stays orange means the error could not been overcome with reset, so u-boot stopped.

If you have kept the log of the installation, pls post here (the entire log).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hi Bodhi,

this is the flashing and printenv:
[root@alarm tmp]# /usr/sbin/flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0x0 6
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ a0000 -- 100 % complete
[root@alarm tmp]# /usr/sbin/nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.spl.2013.10.ox820.mtd0.img
Writing data to block 0 at offset 0x0
[root@alarm tmp]# /usr/sbin/nandwrite -s 262144 /dev/mtd0 uboot.2013.10-tld-3.ox820.mtd0.img
Writing data to block 2 at offset 0x40000
Writing data to block 3 at offset 0x60000
Writing data to block 4 at offset 0x80000
Writing data to block 5 at offset 0xa0000

[root@alarm sdb1]# fw_printenv
bootcmd=bootp; setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath} ip=${ipaddr}:${serverip}:${gatewayip}:${netmask}:${hostname}::off; bootm
bootdelay=5
baudrate=115200
ipaddr=192.168.1.13
serverip=192.168.1.15
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole

for the netconsole form ubuntu:
I have tried:
netcat -l 192.168.1.13 6666
netcat: Cannot assign requested address
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.