Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

debian only boots after soft-reboot (from the pogoplug-OS)

Posted by moddy 
debian only boots after soft-reboot (from the pogoplug-OS)
October 13, 2010 11:59AM
Hi.
First: Thank you Jeff for your amazing script.

I installed debian on three dockstars. The both with the debian on an USB-Stick work fine, but the one with an external USB-HDD makes problems.
It is may be easy to solve but i could not find the soulution in this forum.

Problem:
When i make a hard-reset (I plug the power-cable) the debian won`t boot. There is only the pogoplug-OS.
only when I reboot from the console of the pogoplug-OS, debian boots.

Do you know a solution?
Re: debian only boots after soft-reboot (from the pogoplug-OS)
October 14, 2010 03:12AM
Dear moddy,

I encountered the same problem with my sheevaplug and according to an intensive search in several fora the problem is the timing of the uboot. Your external USB HDD is too slow in responding and thus it is not ready to be choosen after a hard reset. The soft reset keeps the USB HDD spinning and it is responding more quickly.
The solution is to add a delay in the uboot configuration. I do not have the correct values present but you should investigate in this direction to find a solution.

Best Regards,
October 14, 2010 03:26AM
You might want to search for "usb_rootdelay".
October 14, 2010 06:29AM
Hi.
That's it. I only had an SATA-to-USB-Cable between dockstar and (USB-)HDD which really seemed to be too slow.
Now i changed it with a Case with another controller in it and voilĂ : it works no matter if hard- or soft-reboot.

Thanks for your support...
:)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.