Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low transfer speeds on Dockstar, but why?

Posted by darkside40 
Low transfer speeds on Dockstar, but why?
October 19, 2010 03:06AM
Hi there,
i have a small problem with my dockstar, my transfer speeds are much slower than expected.
I only get around 5MB/s reading from an Ext3 partition which is on the same Hdd like the system and the swap.

It makes no difference if i use Nfs, Samba or Ftp.
On a Windows PC the Hdd does 32MB/s.
On the Dockstar it is attached to the port next to the GB lan port dont know if this matters.

I am using jeffs standard Kernel.

Does somebody have an idea or a program with which i could Benchmark the Hdd directly at the Dockstar.
I already tested my GB Lan router but my Lan is okay, between my Windows Pc and my Mac i get 45MB/s via Ftp.

Anybody can help?
Brian Wood
Re: Low transfer speeds on Dockstar, but why?
October 19, 2010 11:31AM
You could use hdparm, it will install easily with "apt-get install hdparm".

hdparm -tT /dev/sdx (where "x:" is the drive in question).

But don't expect a USB-connected drive to perform anywhere near as well as it does in a conventional PC, for several reasons.

I can get about 15-20 MBps from drives connected to my Pogoplug running Debian.
October 20, 2010 01:10AM
I tested mine. It is about 10MB/s.
October 20, 2010 02:20AM
I found a guide (sorry only German) http://falkhusemann.de/blog/2010/09/maximaldurchsatz-der-modifizierten-seagate-dockstar-optimieren/ and after i did modifications in there i get approx. 28-32MB/s via Samba.

Also Samba is now much faster in combination with my MacBook then NFS which does between 18-22MB/s.
October 20, 2010 02:23PM
I used Google translation. The texts are fine but the scripts were corrupted. Can you provide the scripts and necessary steps here. (In English, hopefully. :-).
October 20, 2010 03:23PM
Look in the following post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 04:26AM by darkside40.
October 21, 2010 03:39AM
Hey darkside40,

please don't copy content from my blog (btw, it's illegal), then only post half the information. This could shed a bad bad light on me, should people follow your instructions and blow up an atomic plant controlled by a dockstar.

Next time, just ask for a translation *smirk*

Here it is in a rather rusty English:
http://falkhusemann.de/blog/2010/10/optimize-maximum-throughput-of-the-modified-seagate-dockstar/

If you find spelling mistakes, I would be very happy to correct them. Would help me get better.

Greets,
Falk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 03:40AM by josen.
October 21, 2010 03:54AM
Sorry for that.
October 21, 2010 07:52AM
Hello everybody,

my Dockstar also is very slow (2 MB/s read and write). Two weeks ago everything was fine (10 MB/s without any optimizations).
Today I reformated my USB-Stick and reinstalled Jeff's Deban Squeeze.

After the installation had finished I only installed iperf and started it as server (iperf -s). During the test the Dockstar was connected to my Laptop (100Mbit/s Lan) via the cable that came with it.

This is the result (Jperf):

http://www.abload.de/img/iperfqol6.jpg

Can you please tell whats wrong? :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 07:53AM by Slah.
October 21, 2010 10:14AM
Hi there,

you should be able to match my results: http://blackstar.cs.tu-dortmund.de/maximaldurchsatz.html

Try the link for maximum throughput :)

Greets,
Falk
October 21, 2010 11:59AM
Hallo Falk,
ich kenne dein Projekt und finde es wirklich klasse und kann verstehen dass du stolz darauf bist. Leider hilft mir das bei meinem Problem in keinster Weise weiter.
Es scheint wohl an meinem Laptop zu liegen. Mit meinem PC erreiche ich über Wlan ca. 7,5 MB/s.

I solved my problem. The laptop has slowed down due to an unknown reason. With my Pc the transfer speed is about 7,5MB/s (Wlan).
October 21, 2010 10:47PM
Hi, Falk:
I followed your instructions but the disk was not mounted. I tried to manually mount it using " mount -t xfs /dev/sdb /share." The response was "mount: unknown filesystem type 'xfs'." Is there anything else I need to do to make my Dockstar recognize the partition?
October 22, 2010 02:29AM
Hi,

you need the xfsprogs to mounts a XFS partition. Maybe this is the problem here?

Greets
October 22, 2010 11:02AM
O.K. It works now (mounted) after I did a depmod -a.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 02:22PM by twinclouds.
October 22, 2010 11:16PM
I installed xfs file system according to the instructions. Somehow the speed remains the same. I don't know why. Any suggestions?
October 23, 2010 02:33AM
Just switching to XFS doesnt do the trick.

You have to do all the other steps too.
October 23, 2010 12:03PM
Yes. I did all the other steps but still not getting faster. Maybe I should try again. Do you use Lenny or Squeeze?
October 23, 2010 12:36PM
Squeeze
October 24, 2010 12:04AM
darkside40 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Squeeze

I can mount xfs on Lenny but the speed does not increase. For Squeeze, when I try to mount a xfs partition, what I got was mount: unknown filesystem type 'xfs'. Is there anything else I need to do using?
October 26, 2010 06:40PM
i get transfer speeds of 1.5mb/s per through samba. i already tried the improvements mentioned in the thread.
it didn't help :(

i also mounted the hdd to a ram disk

fstab:
# ramdisk to mount stuff to
tmpfs          /mnt/ram1/      tmpfs   defaults         0       0

if i can remember correctly i read about that issue in another forum where mounting the disk in a ramdisk helped.
it doesnt help for me tho :(
the disk is mounted with the following options:

async, noatime

i once got transferspeeds of like 9-10 mb/s through 100mbit. i can't remember the settings tho. anyone got any ideas? :(
jh
October 27, 2010 12:57PM
Is using XFS really a good idea? There are a lot of bugs with XFS support on ARM. Many of them have been fixed recently, but it hardly seems stable. It seems from a Google search that XFS being unstable on ARM is kind of a known thing?
October 27, 2010 03:24PM
i got it working now.

the problem was:

i got my laptop and the dockstar hooked up to a fonera router (running dd-wrt) which only has 1 lan port and 1 wan port.
since i'm only using it as a wifi repeater i assigned the wan port as a lan port aswell through software.
that limited my speed to like 1.7 mb/s. after adding a real switch to my network i get full 100mbit (since it's only a 100 mbit switch)
October 27, 2010 07:32PM
jh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is using XFS really a good idea? There are a lot
> of bugs with XFS support on ARM. Many of them
> have been fixed recently, but it hardly seems
> stable. It seems from a Google search that XFS
> being unstable on ARM is kind of a known thing?

ext2 gives me 10 mB/s. I never got xfs work faster than that so I will stick with ext2.
November 12, 2013 02:28AM
Bump

Does anyone see performance improvement after the below changes i don't really know what exactly the commands in rc.local are doing

/etc/rc.local
blockdev --setra 16384 /dev/sdX  # set the readahead value to 16MiB
ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 5000  # buffer 5000 outgoing packets in memory
echo deadline > /sys/block/sdX/queue/scheduler # use alternative I/O-scheduler 

/etc/sysctl.conf

# % allocation of memory for I/O-Requests, before data is written immediatly to disk
vm.dirty_ratio=8
# % allocation of memory for I/O-Requests, before data is written in the background to disk
vm.dirty_background_ratio=5
# use memory for I/O-Cache first, rather then applications, when possible
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
# swap out unused applications, instead of flushing I/O-Cache
vm.swappiness=100
# buffer up to 5000 received packets in memory, to avoid packetloss
net.core.netdev_max_backlog=5000
# disable TCP-Extensions, to save space in TCP-Header
net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps=0
# reuse sockets faster
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=10
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle=1
November 19, 2013 07:45PM
*EDIT*
It was a faulty LAN cable. Damn! Now I get 600/700Mbit/s :)

---------------------
Hi,
I'm experiencing some strange slow-downs.
If I do iperf -s on the computer, and run the client in the Dockstar, I get >600Mbits/s.
But if I do from computer to the dockstar, it only shows 10-25Mbits/s, and fluctuates a lot.
I tried with different routers with the same result.
Running iperf server on the router and the client on the computer gives also >600MBits/s.
I did the tweaks from here:
http://falkhusemann.de/blog/2010/10/optimize-maximum-throughput-of-the-modified-seagate-dockstar/

But nothing changed.

Any hint?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 08:18PM by David.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.