Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug sale! $5 after rebate

Posted by Adam 
Re: Pogoplug sale! $5 after rebate
April 05, 2015 08:45AM
@habibie - Do yourself a favor, before you start unlocking your Pogoplug P01, buy a serial console USB adapter and a CD rom cable. The extra $12 spent will be unbelievably beneficial. I know it's more money but it makes experimenting with your plug alot less aggravating.

See here for a tutorial: http://blog.qnology.com/2013/10/pogoplug-e02-v2-serial-connection.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 08:49AM by LeggoMyEggo.
April 05, 2015 08:21PM
LeggoMyEggo,

> @habibie - Do yourself a favor, before you start
> unlocking your Pogoplug P01, buy a serial console
> USB adapter and a CD rom cable. The extra $12
> spent will be unbelievably beneficial. I know
> it's more money but it makes experimenting with
> your plug alot less aggravating.

Could not have said it any better!

I would expect there will be more issues/questions whenever there is a fire sale of Pogoplug :). So I'll post a simple how-to install for the Pogo Pro/Classic. DId you or anybody started doing this? I can't recall. I know there is a little bit of a hassle doing it in Pogo OS environment.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 11:29PM by bodhi.
April 05, 2015 10:41PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I know there is a little bit
> of a hassle doing it in Pogo OS environment.

It could all be done pretty easily in the Pogo OS environment if the rootfs was released as an image (i.e. for Win32 Disk Imager) and the u-boot upgrade files were on that same rootfs image(maybe as a separate partition?). I realize an img file might be bigger and I know it must cost a pretty penny for the download service you have. Regardless, I've flashed the new u-boot on a stock plug through the PogoOS by mounting a linux drive with the u-boot files on it and wgetting the nand and flash utilities to tmp in PP OS. Of course doing it in PP OS has a little more risk as there is less of a recovery path. But it can be done.
April 05, 2015 11:42PM
LeggoMyEggo,

Yeah. The image file is certainly easier. That approach was not as feasible for Kirkwood because we have so many variation. But I guess I could try to release a rootfs tarball with everything matching to work when people install from stock. That's similar to what you did. And the nice thing about it is you don't have to download NAND tools at all. They are already inside the rootfs.

In fact, I've just went through the manual procedure to install a Pogo Classic from my reserved plugs, because my oldest Pogo E02 just died, have not tried to revive it yet (I guess the bad NAND finally went belly up :). During this, I can see the potential for confusion in setting up new envs. So I think either the instruction needs to be tweaked a little bit, or a new rootfs is needed.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 06, 2015 07:27AM
I would bet 90% of all the issues people have with the Debian conversion are u-boot env's related. It's very complicated for the newly initiated and if you mess up and you are locked out you might be lucky and have netconsole but more likely you need to have serial console to truly fix it. That makes the Pogoplugs challenging and unique as the Sheevaplugs, Pi's and other modern SOC's of the world have a built in terminal to set things straight. I give you cudos for your ability to help people troubleshoot things even with the built-in handicap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 07:27AM by LeggoMyEggo.
April 06, 2015 11:39AM
FYI - I pulled out my Pogoplug Pro I had sitting in my cabinet last night and installed Debian on it.

@Bodhi, if you don't mind, I'll rehost your files and put together a tutorial so everything can be performed using the stock Pogoplug OS.
April 06, 2015 11:40AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
>
> See here for a tutorial:
> http://blog.qnology.com/2013/10/pogoplug-e02-v2-se
> rial-connection.html
>
I don't have a USB/Serial Console cable, but rather an RJ45//WiFiSerial console cable made from a FON2100 running on a self-built OpenWRT firmware as pointed out in this post. This works just fine for me.

I also bought this Logic Analyzer / Saleae8 / AX / Altera download cable triple feature when it was onsale (50% OFF). It comes with a daughter board which I have no idea what to do with it. I never use this dongle, yet. However, when I plugged it into my Seagate DockStar (running on a self-built OpenWRT firmware), both FlashROM and OpenOCD recognized it. If anyone out here has ever used this, can you at least please let me know what is the daughter board for? Also, can it be used as a serial console cable?
Re: Pogoplug sale! $5 and a lifetime of regret
April 06, 2015 08:47PM
I hope not to rain on the parade, but has anyone looked at the rebate? As a member said, it's an American Express Rewards card, and there's a $2 per month fee (after 5 months). Here's the Terms & Conditions of said rebate (serious):

This rebate offer is available to qualifying end-user purchasers of a qualifying product. If any terms and conditions are not met the rebate will be denied. Distributors and dealers may not participate in this offer. The purchase date on your sales receipt, packing slip or invoice must be a date within the eligibility period indicated on the individual rebate application that you must print, sign and mail to the specified address obtained after registering online at http://adorama.4myrebate.com. The address on your rebate application must match the billing address on the receipt, packing slip or invoice. Limit Six (6) rebate per qualifying rebate offer, per person, billing address, company, household and receipt/invoice/packing slip during the eligibility period, except were prohibited by law. Only one (1) rebate application per envelope. Any request postmarked or received after the eligibility period will be denied. If your rebate payment is $5.00 or greater, you will receive a prepaid American Express® Reward Card issued by American Express Prepaid Card Management Corporation (the “Reward Card”). American Express Reward Card may be used at U.S. merchants that accept American Express® Cards. Subject to applicable law, a $2.00 Monthly Service Fee shall be assessed against the Card balance five (5) months after issuance.Funds do not expire. The Card cannot be used at ATMs. Subject to applicable law, and except as otherwise provided in the Cardholder Agreement, this Card is not redeemable for cash. Additional limitations apply, including restrictions on use of the Card at cruise lines and for recurring billing. Read Cardholder Agreement for complete terms and conditions, including a binding individual arbitration clause. This Card has been provided to you pursuant to a reward, loyalty or promotional program. If your rebate is less than $5.00, you will be
paid by check. In the event your rebate check is not cashed within ninety (90) days, the rebate offer expires and is void. Timely cashing of the rebate check is a necessary condition to obtain a rebate under this offer. Checks are void if not cashed within ninety (90) days of issuance and cannot be reissued. Neither the sponsor of the rebate (“Rebate Sponsor”) nor the entity providing the rebate reward (the “Reward Vendor”) is responsible for late, lost, misdirected or postage-due mail. Incomplete or illegible applications will be denied. Photocopies of UPCs are not accepted unless indicated on the rebate form. Offer only valid in the US (including Puerto Rico). Rebate Payable in US Dollars for US Residents. Offer subject to change at any time. Void where prohibited by law. Use of fictitious names, multiple addresses and PO Boxes to obtain additional
rebates may constitute fraud, violate federal or state laws and may result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or fines, including under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, Section 1341 and 1342). Rebate application status updates, approval, denial, and other notices may be sent via e-mail. You may check the status of your rebate by visiting the link provided in your e-mail or visiting http://adorama.4myrebate.com. Please allow 3 weeks after mailing to make any inquiries regarding your rebate. Fulfillment of this rebate is subject to final approval by Adorama Inc. Reward Vendor is not liable for non-fulfillment of offers by Adorama Inc. ® Used by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. under license from American Express

Cray-cray. I was so close to being persuaded to buy a Pro (and be Leggo's friend) it wasn't funny. Run Arch on single-core Pogo and Debian on the dual. Why god why?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 08:51PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Pogoplug sale! $5 and a lifetime of regret
April 06, 2015 09:10PM
AFAICT, the charges occur the minute the card gets used the 1st time. So, if you use up the card at the 1st time, there won't any charges incurred.
April 06, 2015 09:33PM
Even at $15, if you consider the cost of buying a 2 meter high quality ethernet cable and the power cord which fits other devices such as a cable box (note both cables are included with the Pro) , then even if you never see the rebate you've only been beaten by $6 or so. If you do get the rebate than you are more than ahead.
April 06, 2015 10:44PM
ARRGH! Today isn't a good one for ordering. At Adorama it says

Due to Passover Holiday . We are closed from April 3 - April 10.

I'm a pauper deluxe, and the only reason I have the jing is because NewEgg wont process an order after loading PayPal. I was shooting for a 1.5 TB portable drive, which still needs be done. Yes, if jing were more aplenty I'd get two Pogoplug Pros, run Debian/Debian and still not care about loss of rebate.

Tell you what though, my first Pogo, the E02 - too cool for words. I feel like I've been standing at the base of the mountain for 10 years and you guys show me the elevator up. Still trying to figure where to drill the hole for the reset button, but problems like that are beautiful. Well if it's meant to be it's meant to be, if not i'll get out of yer hair.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 11:11PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 07, 2015 09:26AM
That's why I placed an order last Friday. According the UPS tracking system, the truck is delivering my package and expect it to arrive by End of Day (usually around 2 P.M.)
April 07, 2015 09:34AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
>
> See here for a tutorial:
> rial-connection.html
>
I was perusing the above link and did not find any information whether it is safe to connect my virgin PogoPlug P02 to the Internet or not.
April 07, 2015 09:44AM
habibie Wrote:
> LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @habibie - Do yourself a favor, before you
> start
> > unlocking your Pogoplug P01, buy a serial
> console
> > USB adapter and a CD rom cable. The extra $12
> > spent will be unbelievably beneficial. I know
> > it's more money but it makes experimenting with
> > your plug alot less aggravating.
> >
> > See here for a tutorial:
> >
>
> > rial-connection.html
> >
> I was perusing the above link and did not find any
> information whether it is safe to connect my
> virgin PogoPlug P02 to the Internet or not.

"Safe" is what way? Shouldn't be an issue.
April 07, 2015 09:58AM
Safe in a way not to lock up.
April 07, 2015 11:03AM
habibie Wrote:
> Safe in a way not to lock up.

Actually you need your P02 to "phone home" because that is the way you enable SSH access through Pogoplug's site. Once you enable SSH, then you can choose to keep the stock u-boot (and Pogoplug software) or erase the PP software and go with the new u-boot.

You know now that I think about it, I should have kept one of my Pro's with the stock PP u-boot just so I had the files in there. I still could have booted Debian with just some changes to the stock boot env's.

From the Debian rootfs thread:

If you're running the Pogoplug V3 with stock U-Boot (or the ALAM variant by installing Arch Linux before), the easy way to boot your rootfs with the new kernel is to boot with stock U-Boot ........................but the uImage needs to be created with the DTB file embedded inside it, and the u-boot environment varialbes need to be setup differently.
April 07, 2015 11:20AM
OK. I will connect it to the Internet for it to Phone home. Then, I think I will update its u-boot with the one from Bodhi. Then, configure it to run OpenWRT.
April 07, 2015 12:19PM
Can anyone please provide the link to the serial pinout for a PogoPlug P02?
April 07, 2015 12:21PM
habibie Wrote:
> Can anyone please provide the link to the serial
> pinout for a PogoPlug P02?

http://blog.qnology.com/2013/10/pogoplug-e02-v2-serial-connection.html
April 07, 2015 12:26PM
habibie Wrote:
> OK. I will connect it to the Internet for it to
> Phone home. Then, I think I will update its u-boot
> with the one from Bodhi. Then, configure it to run
> OpenWRT.

I looked into OpenWRT on the Pro last night and it doesn't look trivial. Was going to put together a OpenWRT tutorial, but missing a OpenWRT rootfs tarball.
April 07, 2015 02:22PM
My order has arrived. The sticker of UPC (850877002115) clearly says it is a PogoPlug Pro-CA (Canada). The box is bilingual, i.e. English/French. It is time to hack.
April 07, 2015 04:04PM
habibie Wrote:
> My order has arrived. The sticker of UPC
> (850877002115) clearly says it is a PogoPlug
> Pro-CA (Canada). The box is bilingual, i.e.
> English/French. It is time to hack.

Try my tutorial I just published. It's still a work in progress and your feedback would be welcome. Thanks

http://blog.qnology.com/2015/04/hacking-pogoplug-v3oxnas-proclassic.html
April 07, 2015 04:12PM
I just browsed through your blog. It looks cool, but I can't find any information on the pinout for my PogoPlug P02. If you have the pinout layout for a PogoPlug P02, can you please update your blog to include them?

Thanks.
April 07, 2015 04:15PM
habibie,

When after you get SSH enable, log in either through serial console or terminal. And prepare the installation as followed:

- On another Linux box, download the latest rootfs tarball first, extract it to an single partition Ext3 USB drive (You can do this in the Pogo OS, too, but it's not as convenient).

- Download the latest u-boot tarball and copy it to this new USB rootfs (put it in /boot)

- Take this rootfs into the Pogo and mount it. Now you have enrything to start installing.

- Check if you have the Pogo Pro, you should see the PCIe ports initialized in dmesg
dmesg | grep -i pci

- Follow the instruction to flash u-boot. The NAND tools binaries are already on the rootfs /usr/sbin/ directory

If you see any problem or odd behavior, please start a new thread in either Debian or U-boot forum, and post your entire installation log there.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 07, 2015 04:16PM
habibie Wrote:
> I just browsed through your blog. It looks cool,
> but I can't find any information on the pinout for
> my PogoPlug P02. If you have the pinout layout for
> a PogoPlug P02, can you please update your blog to
> include them?
>
> Thanks.

From left to right, inside looking out:

GND, RX, TX, 3.3V

Image attached here.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 04:18PM by bodhi.
Attachments:
open | download - POGOPLUGPRO_serial_pinout_small.jpg (43.8 KB)
April 07, 2015 04:24PM
habibie Wrote:
> I just browsed through your blog. It looks cool,
> but I can't find any information on the pinout for
> my PogoPlug P02. If you have the pinout layout for
> a PogoPlug P02, can you please update your blog to
> include them?
>
> Thanks.

It's in the picture - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8kbLOSoegnE/UmCvUpmEnrI/AAAAAAAAK9c/W3hMZsgHp-c/s1600/Pogoplug+v3+Serial+Console+Connection.jpg
April 07, 2015 04:33PM
> It's in the picture -
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8kbLOSoegnE/UmCvUpmEnrI/
> AAAAAAAAK9c/W3hMZsgHp-c/s1600/Pogoplug+v3+Serial+C
> onsole+Connection.jpg

Much better looking picture :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
The Penguin roughed me up...
April 07, 2015 07:25PM
Grayman (after seeing yer tutorial) and Leggo (yeah really they're prolly at least Cat5 E cables right?), I had an unexpected winfall ($25 LOL) so I've ordered two P02s .
* $20 in rebates lost is a bite, but that's what it cost me to keep the man from shaking me down.

Oh no this isn't v3 at Qui's tutorial? Did I screw-up?.

Just a note to self, I'll be looking for ways to a hard-wired way to power the hard drive(s) from Pogo as well as figure a way to powerdown hard drive(s) when idling.. WOL. I'll have a better NAS than anything I originally was looking for.

For what it's worth, you know those eCigarettes and the USB charging cables? I cut one apart and they're the 5 volt DC tap with just two wires. Just sayin'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 07:58PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: The Penguin roughed me up...
April 07, 2015 07:54PM
Joey,

These are Pogo V3. Pogo V3 means either Pogo Pro (with PCI wifi) or Pogo Classic (without PCI wifi).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
when you say these are Pogo 3
April 07, 2015 08:01PM
-edit-

bohdi I don't mean to sound freakout, but I don't know which you were referring to when you say "these are".

I ordered good ones or not?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 10:57PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.