Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian no longer boots, Help

Posted by gary4gar 
Debian no longer boots, Help
October 29, 2010 06:14PM
Hey, It seems My Dockstar has stopped booting into debian. I can only boot into Pogoplug. here is output of fw_printenv

bootcmd=run bootcmd_usb; usb stop; run bootcmd_pogo; reset
baudrate=115200
arcNumber=2097
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
usb_init=usb start
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
bootcmd_pogo=fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; go 0x800200
usb_load_uimage=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage
usb_boot=if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000;else bootm 0x800000;fi;
set_bootargs_usb=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts
bootcmd_usb=run usb_init; run usb_load_uimage; run set_bootargs_usb; run usb_boot;
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:10:75:1A:90:29
bootdelay=15
serverip=192.168.1.10
ipaddr=192.168.1.6
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole

Is attaching Serial Cable only way to recover or there is some other way. If I *have* to use the serial cable, then I have already got Nokia CA-42 cable with me. tried attaching it dockstar but didn't get any output on minicom. I tried using netconsole too, but same result. no output at all

Please help recover
Re: Debian no longer boots, Help
October 30, 2010 06:22AM
What did you change since the last successfull debian boot? Did you run 'apt-get upgrade' and you got a new kernel installed?

Can you mount the usb device at all or is it broken?

Try "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 8N1" - maybe minicom is waiting for some handshake (hope you got the correct wires and pins)
October 30, 2010 12:44PM
gary4gar,

you should definitivly see something like

U-Boot 2010.06-00695-gbd23130-dirty (Aug 30 2010 - 23:04:56)
Marvell-Dockstar/Pogoplug by Jeff Doozan

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Using egiga0 device

on your serial connection (e.g. minicom) when your dockstar boots. Double check your pinout. Today I had to solder a serial cable using a noname CA-42 USB adapter, and http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation#Determining_the_wiring_assignment_of_your_cable was a big help. See http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nokia_pop_pinout.shtml for the Nokia side (you need pins 6 rx, 7 tx and 8 gnd) and use a multimeter to find the corresponding colors of your wires.

With a serial cable it was easy to find out that my dockstar was suffering from filesystem errors:

/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
failed (code 4).
An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode. ... failed!
The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. ... (warning).
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

It may also be possible to do an fsck of your USB stick (first partition) on another Linux machine.

HTH, regards,
Heinz
October 30, 2010 12:50PM
_Oscar_
_Oscar_ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did you change since the last successfull
> debian boot? Did you run 'apt-get upgrade' and you
> got a new kernel installed?
>
Yes, this exactly what happened. now what to do?
October 30, 2010 12:53PM
hkramski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> on your serial connection (e.g. minicom) when your
> dockstar boots. Double check your pinout. Today I
> had to solder a serial cable using a noname CA-42
> USB adapter, and
> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Se
> rial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation#Determining_the_
> wiring_assignment_of_your_cable was a big help.
> See
> http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nokia_pop_p
> inout.shtml for the Nokia side (you need pins 6
> rx, 7 tx and 8 gnd) and use a multimeter to find
> the corresponding colors of your wires.
>

>
> It may also be possible to do an fsck of your USB
> stick (first partition) on another Linux machine.

I have ran an FSCK, drive is fine. Now will try to get the serial connection working but Its gonna be difficult for me as I have no prior experience. I guess I have to read and learn. Thanks for the links

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2010 12:56PM by gary4gar.
October 30, 2010 12:55PM
Take a look at http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1042,1111#msg-1111.

Installing the "flash-kernel" package will do this for your automatically on future kernel updates.

Heinz
October 30, 2010 04:55PM
@heinz, I updated to the newest flash-kernel package but it doesn't run without the script I linked there: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1820,1846#msg-1846
October 30, 2010 06:09PM
Oscar,

I ran mkimage today manually so timestamps are insignificant now - I can't say for sure. It was my impression that flash-kernel does what it should, but maybe it was only after an update of initramfs-tools, not the kernel itself. Thank you for pointing that out.

Regards,
Heinz
November 02, 2010 04:00PM
Oscar,

unfortunatly you are right. "flash-kernel" is not triggered by installing a new kernel (like 2.6.32-27 today). At least, we have an easy to remember command now...

Regards,
Heinz
November 03, 2010 10:22AM
check my link: you have to add a script running the flash-kernel command in the /etc/kernel/postinst.d directory and it will be called after a kernel update by dpkg/apt-get.
November 03, 2010 02:32PM
Thanks, looks promising...

Edit:
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-flash-kernel confirmed working on my 2nd Dockstar, thanks again.

Heinz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 04:59PM by hkramski.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.