Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Install Debian 8 on Dockstar with nc

Posted by Thomas27 
Thomas27
Install Debian 8 on Dockstar with nc
October 10, 2015 04:17PM
Hi,

I am afraid this may be a pretty rookie question, but I did not find out how to do this. I installed Debian Squeeze with Jeff's tutorial (http://projects.doozan.com/debian/) on my Dockstar years ago. Now I would like to install Debian 8.2, which has a build for the Dockstar.

I do not have a JTAG cable or something else, until now I always worked with nc or ssh. So I tried it with this tutorial (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install/), hoping that with Debian 8.2 this point: "Seagate FreeAgent DockStar (limited support: only if you added a serial console)" does not apply anymore.

I am able to log into uboot and start the Linux kernel from my USB stick (uInitrd and uImage). But then, after the message "Starting kernel", I do not get any more output. I assume that the kernel does not use the nc settings from uboot. I tried to vary the bootargs, but without success.

I would be glad if someone could help me there. Is this even the right way, or is there some other way to go (e.g. use the current Debian installation or the "stock" Linux installation and debootstrap etc.)?

Thanks a lot!
Re: Install Debian 8 on Dockstar with nc
October 10, 2015 04:30PM
Thomas,

Since you have older u-boot, it will only work with a non-FDT kernel.

You can try booting with the 3.16.x rootfs, it should boot with Jeff's u-boot without problem:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,23425,23427#msg-23427

Later, consider upgrading u-boot so you can use more features and boot with FDT kernel.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

And also, for whatever reason, you need to run the latest kernel, you can use 3.18.5 rootfs, but the DTB need to be appended to uImage. Post if you are not sure how.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 05:59PM by bodhi.
Thomas27
October 16, 2015 07:45PM
Hello bodhi,

thank you for your help! Upgrading U-Boot was a good idea and worked fine.

If I understand you correctly, then I should now prepare a thumb drive with the linked rootfs, which I can boot and then my system is up. But what system is it? Is it a Debian system (and which version)?

Do you what the difference to a system installed with the Debian uInitrd and uImage installer files is? Is it possible to use those to install Debian with netconsole or something similar?

I read some of the linked posts, but for me it is not clear what I get by using the linked rootfs.

Thanks a lot!
Thomas
October 17, 2015 01:09AM
Thomas27 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello bodhi,
>
> thank you for your help! Upgrading U-Boot was a
> good idea and worked fine.
>
> If I understand you correctly, then I should now
> prepare a thumb drive with the linked rootfs,
> which I can boot and then my system is up. But
> what system is it? Is it a Debian system (and
> which version)?
>
> Do you what the difference to a system installed
> with the Debian uInitrd and uImage installer files
> is? Is it possible to use those to install Debian
> with netconsole or something similar?
>
> I read some of the linked posts, but for me it is
> not clear what I get by using the linked rootfs.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Thomas

The 3.16 rootfs is a complete Debian system with kernel 3.16. No need to install kernel, it is already in the rootfs. Later, you can upgrade to newer kernel.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.