Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E02/Debian/USB 2.0 equals performance of expensive router w USB 3.0

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
E02/Debian/USB 2.0 equals performance of expensive router w USB 3.0
October 29, 2015 11:45PM
Expensive being a relative term, consider this, with an E02/USB 2.0 on gigabit LAN I can retrieve large files at a cool 24 MB/sec from USB stick and around 30 MB/sec with external USB 2.0 hard drive.. To put this in perspective, the USB 2.0 port on a Rosewill gigabit router accesses files at around 7-8 MB/sec.

So today I spy a great deal at a thrift store, a D-Link DIR-857 Gigabit Router with USB 3.0 port. I buy it and upgrade the firmware, turn off media server and plug in a new WD portable hard drive. It locks in at about 24 MB/sec.

All in all the E02 is the coolest project of it's kind I've ever done. The breakthrough for me was the decision to run Debian, and truth be told i'll get another E02 as a spare before ever remotely considering a Raspberry Pi 2 or other fruit Pis...

Excellently done my friends :-)

*As for my new router, it'll stay, I wasn't getting jumbo frames on my Rosewill so this router is still good and E02's DHCP address is already reserved.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 11:48PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.